• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BBQ joints on Route 46 in West NJ?

jb_973

This past Sunday my wife and I took a drive out west on Route 46 - from where it merges with Route 10, all the way to the end in Knowlton.

Along the way I must have spotted four or five different bars/pubs/restaurants that proudly proclaim 'barbecue!'

As a part-time 'cue addict (when I get the time to fire up the smoker at home - or pay a visit to Bourbon BBQ, Front Street Smokehouse, etc.), my curiousity was stirred, however, as we had just had something to eat before leaving for the drive, we did not stop off at any of the places.

Anyway - to get to the question - if we happen to find ourselves in that part of NJ again, are any of the joints on Route 46 worth paying a visit?

I don't know of those places west of the Rt. 10/46 merge (that's Ledgewood, by the way). But there is a decent BBQ place about 5 miles east of there -- Hot Rod's on Main St in Wharton, about 1 mile north of Rt 46. Everything I've had there has been pretty good. It's a definite notch below some of the bbq places in NYC, such as Dinosaur, Virgil's, RUB, etc, but it's good for NJ.

I think they consider ribs to be their specialty. The pulled pork is okay, although I found it a bit dry and without enough flavor. They've got the full complement of traditional bbq sides, like hush puppies, corn bread, baked beans, etc, and I've found those to be pretty good.

I don't know of those places west of the Rt. 10/46 merge (that's Ledgewood, by the way).  But there is a decent BBQ place about 5 miles east of there -- Hot Rod's on Main St in Wharton, about 1 mile north of Rt 46.  Everything I've had there has been pretty good.  It's a definite notch below some of the bbq places in NYC, such as Dinosaur,  Virgil's, RUB, etc, but it's good for NJ.

I think they consider ribs to be their specialty.  The pulled pork is okay, although I found it a bit dry and without enough flavor.  They've got the full complement of traditional bbq sides, like hush puppies, corn bread, baked beans, etc, and I've found those to be pretty good.

I live near Hot Rod's, and I want to like it, but I've never had an experience there that's -- what's the best word? -- complete.

The kitchen always seems to be out of something Out of ribs once. Out of the sauce I wanted. Out of pulled pork once. That kind of stuff can happen at a barbecue joint, so no big deal. But it took three visits before I got to try their hush puppies. Each time, they said they'd run out the night before.

And when I'd get takeout, I'd get home to find something missing. I started inspecting the bag before I left to save myself the return trip. Invariably, something was always forgotten by the kitchen.

But it's a cool looking place with friendly staff. (And it's one of the only North Jersey spots that sells Route 11 potato chips.)

BLOG: www.northjersey.com/foodblogwww.northjersey.com/foodblog

TWITTER: www.twitter.com/billpitcherwww.twitter.com/billpitcher