• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Commercial Kitchen For Rent

Holly Moore

Was cruising Craig's List for office space and happened upon Commercial Kitchen For Rent.  Rent's only 600 per month.

Figured it might be just the thing for someone looking to cater or bake or whatever.

Sounds like something ready made for a co-op of sorts for cooks who need an occasional space.

Jim Tarantino

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes

Ten Speed Press

Oh let's ALL take it over and become the best catering company in the city. The combined and collective talents in this forum alone could create one HELL of a business, dontcha think? We could call it COMMUNAL TABLE CATERING, or COMBINED FORCES CATERING, or MIXXX CATERING or MANY HANDS CATERING or something like those names.

Imagine the menus

Imagine the "lets put on a show" atmosphere

Imagine the jovial bickering

Imagine the money to be made

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Oh let's ALL take it over and become the best catering company in the city.  The combined and collective talents in this forum alone could create one HELL of a business, dontcha think?  We could call it COMMUNAL TABLE CATERING, or COMBINED FORCES CATERING, or MIXXX CATERING or MANY HANDS CATERING or something like those names.

Imagine the menus

For THAT I'd make a special trip back to the homeland!! :laugh::laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
Oh let's ALL take it over and become the best catering company in the city.  The combined and collective talents in this forum alone could create one HELL of a business, dontcha think?  We could call it COMMUNAL TABLE CATERING, or COMBINED FORCES CATERING, or MIXXX CATERING or MANY HANDS CATERING or something like those names.

Imagine the menus

I'm in, we're moving back to NY and that kind of thing is right up my alley...

Anyone else?

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Several years ago it occurred to me that there are enough serious cooking amateurs to rent out a restaurant for a night to cook for their friends in a "pro" setting.

It could be a charity deal, where the friend/patrons pay and the "profit" would go to a worthy cause.

Lots of bugs in this idea, but perhaps the seed of something do-able.

Thinking about a worthy cause:

What about getting teen age kids involved in the kitchen, gently guiding them towards learning how to cook a little?

Local and sustainable could be featured, but the focus would be on getting young people involved. Certainly more tricky, but could be fun.