• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1 Night In NJ!

sadistick

Ok - I know this is kinda last minute, but it is what it is!

I am headed to CarlStadt, NJ for an overnight biz trip and will be staying at the Hampton Inn (304 Paterson Plank Rd) and was wondering (as I would prefer not to eat hotel crap!) if there is any decent place to get a bite to eat for dinner?

Thanks for the help in advance!

I am headed to CarlStadt, NJ for an overnight biz trip and will be staying at the Hampton Inn (304 Paterson Plank Rd) and was wondering (as I would prefer not to eat hotel crap!) if there is any decent place to get a bite to eat for dinner?

there are many places to eat in the area-search for east rutherford, rutherford.

lydhurst, north arlington, kearny, bloomfield, montclair-

For starters, avoid everything in that stretch of Route 17 and head inland two or three blocks.

Just a few diverse choices off the top of my head in no particular order. I don't think any of these would disappoint you.

-- After Athens and Eros Cafe (Greek), Rutherford.

-- Daruma (Japanese and Korean) in Rutherford.

-- Fiesta Hut (Traditional Mexican) in East Rutherford.

-- Cafe Cafe (Latin) in Rutherford.

-- Cafe Matisse (Contemporary American) in Rutherford.

-- Martini Grill (mostly Italian) in Wood-Ridge.

Note that of these, only Martini Grill serves alcohol. The rest are BYOs, although Cafe Matisse has its own liquor store.

Matisse is one of the best restaurants in Bergen County and probably your best bet if you have a big appetite, a big expense account, and time to spare.

In Carlstadt proper, the only worthwhile choices coming to mind are Tina Louise (pan Asian, downtown) and Gianna's (Italian, by the Meadowlands). I've heard good things about both, but I've never been to either.

Edited by billpitcher (log)

BLOG: www.northjersey.com/foodblogwww.northjersey.com/foodblog

TWITTER: www.twitter.com/billpitcherwww.twitter.com/billpitcher

If you mean Thrursday ...do what they said, if you mean Friday you can come for Sichuan with a small group of us...just PM

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Gianna's in Carlstadt is very good Italian - not high end Italian, but very good. They have a liquor license.

I've had good & not-so-good experiences at Tina Louise, also in Carlstadt. It's very small, the service is sometimes spotty, & the food has been less than stellar on some occasions.

Cafe Matisse in Rutherford is wonderful, but very expensive. More like a special occasion spot.

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

All of the above suggestions go on the assumption that you'll have a car--which you WILL need in this area.

My vote would be to head to the Ironbound, Newark's famous Portuguese section. Safe, easy to get to, great eats to be had--although if you're solo, the huge portions might be wasted on you... A little more info would help with other ideas! For that matter, have you already been here and left?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I'll be a broken record on the subject of Wondee's for possibly the best Thai food on Jersey. It's up in Hackensack, not far from Carlstadt, if you're driving.

Google the name on eG, many references in various threads.

I will caution you that downtown Hackensack looks pretty desolate at night. Downtown Rutherford (where I happen to live, but I'm trying to be objective) is quite pleasant & totally safe.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Thanks for all the replies folks, much appreciated!

For starters - I will have a rental car, with a GPS thankfully!!! How far are these places (drive wise) from the hotel, if you have any idea?

We dont have great mexican up here in Toronto (or VERY few and far between) so the Fiesta Hut sounds interesting...

I am not looking to spend an arm and a leg (even though I can expense it) but about $50 for dinner is the approx budget.

Rooftop - much appreciate the invite, but I will be there Tuesday night.

I am not really looking for Italian, as unless its very high end, i typically can make and prefer my own italian cooking and dont often head out to dine Italian style.

Also - I will be coming in from Newark Airport so if there is something along the way to the hotel, that may be an idea as well...

I love Thai food, so Wondees sounds interesting as well, as does Portuguese..

Lastly, would prefer closer/more convenient over anything as I am not the fondest of driving at night in an unfamiliar place...lol

Thanks again

Also - I will be coming in from Newark Airport so if there is something along the way to the hotel, that may be an idea as well...

I love Thai food, so Wondees sounds interesting as well, as does Portuguese..

As you are coming in Via EWR, I would second the suggestion of visiting the Ironbound neighborhood for really great Portuguese food. There are quite a few threads on this board but I would suggest Iberia although there are other really great places too. It's a rather self contained neighborhood since you have GPS, shouldn't be a problem to locate from the airport.

http://www.iberiarestaurants.com/home_IP/homepg.htm

The Newark Ironbound district is directly on the way from the airport to Carlstadt. Just hop on Rt. 21 N from the airport into downtown Newark. Afterwards, continue up Rt. 21 to Rt. 3 East, then Rt. 17 N. to Paterson Plank Rd exit. A 20-minute drive unless there's heavy traffic.

(NOTE: Rush hour traffic in the Newark / Ironbound area is NASTY. I would avoid it 4:00 - 6:00, but that's just me. I have no patience for heavy traffic.)

Rutherford / East Rutherford is an easy hop from your hotel. Just take Paterson Plank Rd west. Cross Rt. 17. For Park & Orchard, turn left at the first stoplight (Hackensack St.) after you cross the highway.* For Fiesta Hut, make the second left after the light (Park Ave). No more than 5 minutes to either.

Park & Orchard is OK for food. Huge portions, you'll likely have leftovers to box or toss. Doesn't stand up to repeat visits too well. Wine celler is legendary tho.

Update: the above-mentioned After Athens is closed this week for a renovation.

* (To get to downtown Rutherford, continue past Park & Orchard, go under the railway bridge, make a sharp right, go 3/4 way around the traffic circle in fromt of the station & you'll find yourself on Park Ave. where all the restaurants are located.)

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

The Ironbound is on the way from the airport and certainly worth a visit. Typical Portuguese food, which means huge portions, and the neighborhood is unique. Rutherford is no more than 10 minutes from where you will be and there is a large selection of places to choose from. Unfortunately Mexican is not one of them. I wouldn't recommend Fiesta Hut. Typical American Mexican, or probably Canadian Mexican, just lots of melted cheese on everything. Park and Orchard has a reknown wine list and is worth it if that's your thing. The food is acceptable. Wondee's is terrific but it is a 20-25 minute ride. My recommendation in Rutherford is Sabor Peru. Not fancy, not expensive but really good food. The best cerviche I have ever eaten. And Cafe Matisse is a wonderful place. It will run about $60 without wine, they have a summer special, but the food and service is wonderful.