• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ratatouille--Cook-Off 42

Chris Amirault

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2008 at 7:44 PM, -sheila mooney said:

[i have a recipe i got in france, supposedly a version of ratatouille preferred by the late bernard loiseau. no onions, no garlic. the eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers are cut in small dice, lots of olive oil and herbs,s and p, baked in a clay or ceramic dish for a long time at low temp. it's different from the soupy/stewy kinds, but really delicious.

I never had the ratatouille when we stayed there. It must have been great! I do remember the chicken in the crock and a potato with black trumpet mushrooms and poached egg.

We do a ratatouille au gratin that we like. Basically cubed veggies and tomatoes simmered then covered with fresh bread crumbs and cheese.

Inspired by the revived topic I did my own mash-up. Bell peppers were not included as they are not my friend though I like the taste. I roasted egglant tossed with salt and olive oil on some fresh rosemary and thyme sprigs. Separately I roasted little grape tomatoes and a bit of onion  with olive oil, fish sauce, dry Mexican oregano, and crushed coriander seed per Chufi's suggestion up topic. Riffing on Melissa Clark's zucchini with garlic and mint I treated the squash in that manner. Just serving myself so raw garlic is cool. https://www.glamour.com/story/dinner-tonight-zucchini-can-be  I also added some capers and chopped olives (Trader Joes vac packed herbed mix) as well as a light amount of balsamic vinegar. It was really nice even without time to mellow (though raw garlic is still on my palate). It will be interesting to revisit tomorrow. I think room temp on a nice rustic bread with perhaps melted tangy cheese. Thanks all again for reminding me about this. 

ratatouille.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Inspired by heidih's photo and description of her Ratatouille, I just finished making my first roasted version of the dish.  I made it for years in a pot, like a stew, but seeing as I love roasted vegetables, I went for this version.  First time I've ever roasted grape tomatoes.  Thanks to all for this wonderful thread. 

I made so much that I have to freeze most of it.  I just hope it comes out of freezing as delicious as it is right now. 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

26 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Inspired by heidih's photo and description of her Ratatouille, I just finished making my first roasted version of the dish.  I made it for years in a pot, like a stew, but seeing as I love roasted vegetables, I went for this version.  First time I've ever roasted grape tomatoes.  Thanks to all for this wonderful thread. 

I made so much that I have to freeze most of it.  I just hope it comes out of freezing as delicious as it is right now. 

Very freezer friendly hearty dish :)  No  rats harmed in the making

• Haha 1

Thanks for this revival.   It's certainly the season.

No pics or specific recipe to share, but one of the best and most beautiful that I've made was for a lamb-centric dinner party.    To "prettify" the dish, I diced everything finely and carefully adjusted the cooking so that each veg would remain intact and identifiable.   it resulted in a lovely spoonful of jewel colors and facets.    Worth the effort for q special presentation.

• Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

I'm growing Japanese eggplant for the first time this year. Sooooo, I picked up a zucchini  and then picked a couple of tomatoes from the back yard along with some herbs. Pretty tasty but it saddens me that no one else in the house would even try it. 

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Just used to a set type of dish? Tossing it with pasta and a soft melty cheese can be an entry point for some. My city is so so multi cultural that the all the kids were open . They might not love it but they would try it. "Mom can you make that yakisoba like Mrs. Yamada makes?"  (and it has cabbage in it!) Have fun :)

Edited by heidih (log)

42 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

I'm growing Japanese eggplant for the first time this year. Sooooo, I picked up a zucchini  and then picked a couple of tomatoes from the back yard along with some herbs. Pretty tasty but it saddens me that no one else in the house would even try it. 

Why not? That is sad.

4 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

They refuse to eat eggplant. 

Until they do not know they just ate it in an amazingly flavorful tomato based sauce that it melted into 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Darienne said:

I just finished making my first roasted version of the dish. 

This is the way I make it. Roasted and mixed well with some flavored olive oil. I want each veggie to taste like itself. Last time I made it in used the grill instead. Worked quite well.

I love it as a bread topper or omelette filler, but it also works as a side dish.

IMG_20200814_151235.thumb.jpg.a036164e580a3e25ba03d1d6ae6ea05f.jpg

• Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

I'm actually, due to the abundance of various colors of peppers, making this dish today - after reading through one of my Richard Olney books. Fortunately, there is no zucchini to be found, and only 1 smallish eggplant. Therefore, it will be pepper centric, and likely to be more mushy, as it's all getting done on the stovetop. No ovens will be harmed in the making.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

41 minutes ago, shain said:

This is the way I make it. Roasted and mixed well with some flavored olive oil. I want each veggie to taste like itself. Last time I made it in used the grill instead. Worked quite well.

I love it as a bread topper or omelette filler, but it also works as a side dish.

I would say that this is exactly what mine looks like.  So delicious.  Ate it for breakfast cold this morning...just couldn't resist.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Always reminded of shopping on Kensington Church Street in London.   We entered an antique shop mid-day and met the most amazing aroma, not bee's wax, but...what?    I couldn't help commenting on it to the elegant dealer who shuffled a bit and apologized.    "I'm just heating a little ratatouille for lunch."     I could just picture him, putting out the closed sign and drawing the blind, then tucking into a plate at one of his gorgeous dining tables.   

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

This made me think of a time when our kids were young and the Ratatouille movie came out. My daughter was in junior high at the time and invited a couple of her friends over to go to the movie and then a sleepover. One of the kids (Megan) dad is a pretty good cook, we've been friends for a long time. The other girl's (Bailey) mom did not cook at all. I swear this kid grew up on hot pockets. Bailey spent as much time as she could at Megan's and our house. 

Anyway, after the movie I asked them if they had ever tried ratatouille, none had. I had tomatoes and herbs in the garden but no eggplant or zuchs. We got up early and went to the farmer's market. Kids had a great time and we got all the stuff. At home I make my version, Bailey takes one hesitant bite and says, "I hate everything in this, but this is so good." 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

364954804_Ratatouille08-23IMG_1970.jpeg.d4bf8a5e1848301920cd7400d428eaea.jpeg

Significant Eater asked: "Is this caponata?"  I had to roll my eyes.

Years ago, the Italian deliveryman from my local super brought my order into the kitchen.   "Angelo" sniffed and hooted, "What's cooking?   It smells wonderful!"    I told him caponata.   He stopped in his tracks, and yelled at me, correcting my pronunciation , "CAH ponata!   CAH ponata!"   Then mocked in a soprano voice "CA ponata!"    He whirled and shaking his head left the house, but with a big grin.    

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 1

eGullet member #80.