• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai Crab Salad in Endive Leaves

I had my first larb tonight at the new place up on Broadway. I wasn't expecting it to be a salad. Somehow I mistakenly thought tommy's picture showed noodles. I kept asking if they make one with noodles, and the Thai fellow kept insisting no noodles ever. Anyway, I liked it, however there wasn't enough cabbage or lettuce served with mine, so I was able to take about 1/3 of it home and will supplement with more greens tomorrow. I'm anxious to try it at another place too for comparison, because as although this dish was very interesting when I first began it, I lost interest in it and it's taste somewhere along the way, and want to see if perhaps it was just this particular restaurant version that didn't keep my interest. The more I ate of this one, the more bitter or acidic or whatever, it became, I think. (and I normally like some bitter flavors). I think it might taste better wrapped in a lettuce leaf.

blue, you rarely find larb in a restaurants with noodles, despite what that picture shows. i actually make it with some noodle, as i love glass noodle, but it's not the standard.

most of the time, it will be served on a bed of lettuce. some ignore the lettuce, but i try to get some lettuce with every bite. in can range from very salad-y to being served sans lettuce altogether.

i can't think of any bitter elements in this dish. however, it's certainly sour, as a primary component is lime juice. it's one of those love-it-or-hate-it dishes i suppose. for me, i love it because of it's simplicity and sharpness. it' always a great balance (when done right) of salty, sour and hot...3 of the 5 or so primary components of most thai dish.

i hope you try it again elsewhere (and make it at home!)