• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best neutral(ish) oil for high heat?

paulraphael

• 1 year later...

I was rather worried and shocked to learn of the woes that is Canola (rapeseed) oil. I always thought that amongst the most widely used oils, being Peanut, Sunflower, Soybean, Corn, Coconut, Palm and Canola oil, it was one of the better ones in terms of health and cooking ability (smoke point, neutral flavour (well maybe not the peanut) etc).

Since that isn't the case anymore, which is your oil of choice for 'heavy' cooking, meaning frying, sauting or deep frying etc?

I know nothing about this controversy. Went to the gold standard: Snopes and it appears that much, if not all, of the negative issues attributed to Canola are incorrect.

Maybe others will check this out more carefully. http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/canola.asp

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne's right, those health issues with Canola oil are all made up.

I've gotten the fishy smell before, but it seems like it was along time ago. FG is probably right that it's a property that can be engineered out. For light, high heat oils, I've taken to buying whatever has an attractive combination of price and smokepoint (kudos to the makers who put the smoke point on the label). Lately where I shop it's been safflour oil. Works great, virtually tasteless, takes the heat, cheap. Some other oil including canola could knock it off its perch, depending on the brand that's available. Each brand will have different properties, depending on how highly refined it is, etc.

Notes from the underbelly

What about if we add a constraint that the oil also has to be a good vinaigrette oil? Ive found that i dont like canola much in that application. Lately ive been using refined walnut oil, but its not a great high heat oil. Is grapeseed the best bet?

Well, we're talking two different applications. What might be good for one is not good for the other. I use extra virgin olive oil for salads (and low to medium heat), and grapeseed for high heat.

V

And you might not like the same oil in every salad dressing. Sometimes you want flavor from the oil, sometimes not. Flavorful oils tend to have a lot in them that burns. If you're looking for neutral oils in your dressing, then you can probably find a one oil solution.

Notes from the underbelly

I do similar: grapeseed for high heat in frypans; extra virgin olive oil in salads; and peanut oil for deep frying.

But it depends on what you are cooking. Grapeseed is flavour neutral and will not interfere with the dish; many of the other oils are not. If I am working for a particular flavour profile I'll variously use: clarified butter; ghee; sesame oil; anchovy oil; butter (for burnt butter creations where you want the burnt taste); or even a mixture of oils, which not only gives a meld of different flavours but changes the smoke point.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Sorry, should've clarified - I was thinking about a neutral oil. Going back to grapeseed probably makes sense for this, especially given the cost of the refined walnut oil (although I originally started using because of omega 3-6 ratio).

What about if we add a constraint that the oil also has to be a good vinaigrette oil? Ive found that i dont like canola much in that application. Lately ive been using refined walnut oil, but its not a great high heat oil. Is grapeseed the best bet?

Rice bran oil. Love it. Neutral flavor - great for making mayo. For "high heat", I use ghee.

Kathleen

• 2 months later...

The Times recently had a short piece on rice bran oil, which has a high smoke point (428) and a neutral taste. It's expensive, but as the Fat Guy says, that hardly makes a difference if you don't deep-fry with it.

I *love* rice bran oil. Discovered it quite by accident and became hooked. Neutral flavor, high flash point and seems to last forever e.g. does not go rancid.

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--