• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nagahama Kaiseki?

fauxtarga

Hey all - I'll be over in the Nagahama area next month, and I'm looking for any recs as far as what the famous kaiseki places are. I'm trying to pack in at least one classic kaiseki meal (attached ryokan optional) in that neighborhood (will probably be doing short trips from Nagahama to Osaka / Kyoto) so suggestions for places relatively accessible by JR in the Lake Biwa area are greatly appreciated. I guess it's a plus if the places are ancient, famous, or particularly beautiful but we are primarily looking for artful cuisine in a relatively standard course progression (we'll be eating mostly contemporary / fish / food with beer when we get back to tokyo).

Also if there's anything else that is a can't miss local food or snack in Nagahama I'd love to check it out. Thanks all -