• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Catering recs?

moreace01

Hello -

I am not located in New Orleans and am working on a volunteer trip to the area. We are in need of a lunch caterer for a group of maybe 30 people (could be more) for next spring. The first thought is a boxed lunch or something that travels well and is easy to eat on the go, but I think it would be nice to have something that would be a good sample of local flavors (turkey sandwich sounds really boring). Anyway, if anyone knows of a good caterer or restaurant that could supply for a large group, I would greatly appreciate the recommendation!

Thanks!

Southern Hospitality Catering comes to mind. More of a big event type thing catering service though. If you are just looking for boxed lunches, I am sure most restaurants would be willing to accomodate. Try Crabby Jacks, I am sure they could put together something different and Martin's Wine Cellar has an excellent deli department that could handle it. There are a number of caterers who do crawfish boils and fish fry's, boudin balls, jambalaya etc. If thats what you are looking for let us know,a nd I am sure someone would have a recommendation. ch

Thanks for your responses!

At the moment, we are hoping for 30 people. We potentially would like to get 90 people, but that is being rather ambitious (for us). We are at the beginning stages of planning and need to come up with a cost estimate. No dietary restrictions at this point since we have no idea who is all going (although, I'm sure there will be at least one vegetarian in the group).

We have been given three possible locations for the work we will be doing: St. Bernard, Orleans or Jefferson Parish. I agree a restaurant would probably be our best bet - so any recs regarding that are greatly appreciated. I will look into the ones you have posted.

I hate to keep asking for follow-up without giving you info, but do you know what part of Jefferson or Orleans? These are big areas, and it seems most convenient to find a restaurant in the neighborhood.

Nope, we don't know any further than the general vicinity. And right now, it's only been narrowed down to the three areas I listed above.

Since you're a group of volunteers, my first thought is to refer you to Cafe Reconcile, so you can support another good cause with your catering order. Cafe Reconcile is operated by a nonprofit youth services organization; it teaches hospitality industry skills to at-risk teens and young adults. Here's a link to their catering menu: http://www.cafereconcile.com/staticdocs/cafe-menu-cater.asp

You could probably order 30 individual lunches from the regular menu and get them packaged to go. Or, depending on the job site/volunteer location, you could order whole pans or half pans of food from the catering menu. The cafe has a basic menu of Louisiana classics, all pretty tasty: fried catfish, red beans & rice, jambalaya, a couple of gumbos, smothered okra, and (my favorite) white beans & shrimp. I'd definitely give Cafe Reconcile a call, see what they can do for you.