• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Specialty grocery stores in Dallas

So I will be most likely be in Dallas sometime in the next two to three weeks and needed some suggestions on specialty grocery stores. My wife and i head over to Dallas quite often and we are familiar with Central Market, Whole Foods, Euro Deli and such but I am looking for other places taht may carry more "unusual" stuff. I can say that I have had no luck finding piquillo peppers. Any suggestions on some cool finds?

So I will be most likely be in Dallas sometime in the next two to three weeks and needed some suggestions on specialty grocery stores. My wife and i head over to Dallas quite often and we are familiar with Central Market, Whole Foods, Euro Deli and such but I am looking for other places taht may carry more "unusual" stuff. I can say that I have had no luck finding piquillo peppers. Any suggestions on some cool finds?

You could try Fiesta Mart. It's a big place that caters more to the Hispanic crowd. Somewhere, there is discussion about an area Asian supermarket that is supposed to be pretty good.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Not to keep bringing it up, I've bought jarred piquillo peppers at CM before; lots of Spanish stuff has become more available just in the past year or so with its popularity.

Checking out some of the Asian Markets would probably be fun. I think it's called Super H? That just opened recently and has garnered alot of attention.

Downtown, at Bryan and Fitzhugh, you have the one-two punch of Jimmy's Italian store and Spiceman's FM 1410 market, a very small storefront that sells very local produce; he caters to many of our top end restaurants. He's Susan Spicer's brother, as a bit of local interest to you from Louisiana. :smile:

If you can tell us what part of the Dallas area you will be staying in, and what types of markets you are interested in, we may be more able to point you in some more specific helpful directions.

If you can tell us what part of the Dallas area you will be staying in, and what types of markets you are interested in, we may be more able to point you in some more specific helpful directions.

we will kind of be all over. we most likely will go to the CM in Southlake as well as Whole Foods on Preston and will try to go to one of the Fiesta Mart locations as well as that asian store mentioned above.

The Super H Mart is located just north of the Bush Toll Road on Old Denton Drive.

2625 Old Denton Rd

Carrollton, TX 75007

Unless you have a specific reason for going to the CM in South Lake, you may want to hit the main Dallas CM - it's about 40% larger.

Also Kevin's idea about visiting Jimmy's and Spiceman's is a very good one, and you may want tsearch in this Texas forum for topics on both.

Thanks for all the recommendations. We took a short day trip yesterday to Dallas and were able to go to most of what we had planned. I found Super H on Denton rd, very cool store but unlike others who have commented on it it definitely had a fishy smell like most asian markets. It was easy to look past that though with the amount of choices and wide selection of products they carried.

Did not have a chance to go to Fiesta Mart although I think I passed one on Ross ave on the way to Jimmys. As to Jimmys I guess I was under the impression they carried a wider selection of meat.

Central Market on Lover's Lane - we lucked out that they were freshly roasting some Hatch green chiles - other than that and scoring some black mission figs I did not find what I was looking for. Kevin, where do you find the jarred piquillo peppers?

Whole Foods on Preston - picked up a few things, nothing special though. They don't seem to have as wide of a selection as in the past.

Euro Deli - Bulgarian Feta and Lutenica

I even went by Cafe Madrid but their "market" seemed to be non-existent.

It was a good trip and even though I could not find all that I needed the selections were far superior than anything I could find where I live :)

Cafe Madrid does not have a "market" as such, but you can order any meat, cheese or wine that's on the menu.  This isn't necessarily obvious.

They used to have one right? I have an old D magazine restaurant guide that said they did(maybe 4 years old or so).

Edited by chickenfriedgourmet (log)

Cafe Madrid does not have a "market" as such, but you can order any meat, cheese or wine that's on the menu.  This isn't necessarily obvious.

They used to have one right? I have an old D magazine restaurant guide that said they did(maybe 4 years old or so).

I am not sure about what it was like at the very beginning, but as far as I know there has been nothing that you would think of as a "market" for the past 4 - 5 years. The meat, cheese and wine and a few olive oils and such. Not a Spanish version of Jimmy's.

Thanks for all the recommendations. We took a short day trip yesterday to Dallas and were able to go to most of what we had planned. I found Super H on Denton rd, very cool store but unlike others who have commented on it it definitely had a fishy smell like most asian markets. It was easy to look past that though with the amount of choices and wide selection of products they carried.

Did not have a chance to go to Fiesta Mart although I think I passed one on Ross ave on the way to Jimmys. As to Jimmys I guess I was under the impression they carried a wider selection of meat.

Central Market on Lover's Lane - we lucked out that they were freshly roasting some Hatch green chiles - other than that and scoring some black mission figs I did not find what I was looking for. Kevin, where do you find the jarred piquillo peppers?

Whole Foods on Preston - picked up a few things, nothing special though. They don't seem to have as wide of a selection as in the past.

Euro Deli - Bulgarian Feta and Lutenica

I even went by Cafe Madrid but their "market" seemed to be non-existent.

It was a good trip and even though I could not find all that I needed the selections were far superior than anything I could find where I live :)

realized my misconception of Jimmys....I had read about Rudolphs Meat market on Elm st and that is what I confused Jimmy's with :)

guide was from 2005...." Cafe Madrid market - has a small market with foods from Spain, such as Fruit of the Forest preserves and seville oranges,paprika,wodd-fire-roasted piquillo pimentos, and anchovy stuffed olives 4501 Travis st"  guess it didn't last long :(

Yes, the last time I was there, last year, they had a few odds ands ends like that...on shelves against the wall in the dining area off the front room. Perhaps at one time they had more and cut it back in order to make more room for tables. I am curious now, so I'll ask next time.

It was at the one in Plano, and in the jarred olives/artichokes etc. section.

realized my misconception of Jimmys....I had read about Rudolphs Meat market on Elm st and that is what I confused Jimmy's with :)

Huh, I do that too, and I've lived here for 9 years!