• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for restaurant suggestions in Knoxville

There are a couple good ones on the way but here are a couple current choices:

The Orangery www.theorangeryrestaurant.com

Peerless www.peerlesseatout.com

If you were motivated and hoof it 2 hours to Bristol there is a fantastic undiscovered place called The Troutdale www.thetroutdale.com

They have a 600 gallon tank in the back

Chains:

Ruth Chris and Melting Pot

Never been but Regas has been around for 100 years or so (www.thechophouse.com/regas_index.html)

Haven't been here either ... northshorebrasserie.com

Enjoy!

We ate at Regas a gazillion years ago and it was nothing special. Their big deal was fish crusted in Ritz crackers. What seriously turned us off of the place is that the waitress started vacuuming around us as we were trying to finish our meal. It took a while and we got her attention and she looked upset that we would have said some thing.

There used to be a little dive of a place in old town Knoxville called Lucille's but that was years ago and I doubt they are still open (& if they were I could not vouch for them) besides I refuse to spend any money in that town for personal reasons (an issue w/ the CVB) so I would encourage you to dine else where any way.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

For a great steak - or even seafood - try Fleming's Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar in Turkey Creek. They have 100 wines by the glass too, which is hard to find in this town. Plus, your grandmother will get chocolate-covered strawberries as a gift for her birthday! La Costa on Market Square has excellent "Latin Fusion" cuisine...the Boar Tenderloin is a favorite...and the Tomato Head, also on Market Square, is a casual local favorite for brunch, lunch, or dinner...their Hummus is the best in town. Northshore Brasserie is pretty good as well. The Orangerie is also excellent, but kind of pricey and definitely more formal.

If a short drive is not out of order go to Maryville and eat at Foothills Milling Company. A great spot in a lovely small town. Website is www.foothillsmillingcompany.com

so I would encourage you to dine else where any way.

My city has plenty to offer in the way of food, and to suggest that nothing is worth staying in town for is quite frankly ludacris.

You mis-read my post. I stated that I have personal issues w/ some thing that happened in the city several years ago and the response of the city (gov't and visitors' bureau) to the incident. Since I refuse to spend my money there I would encourage the same fr/ some one else but that is completely up to them.

Fr/ what I under stand there have been several rather nice restaurants opened in Knoxville since we last stayed there but due to personal issues I will not be frequenting them nor will I encourage others to frequent them.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.