• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Copper River Salmon... Am I getting ripped off?

mcohen

When you're buying wild salmon, how do you really know if its Copper River or not? I've been buying some sockeye salmon in SoCal that, from the color of the skin, I know that it was not farm raised. But, when I'm paying a premium not just for wild, but for Copper River, salmon, how do I know I'm not getting ripped off where the fish monger is selling me wild salmon that is not necessairly from the Copper River? It just occured to me, but isn't the season for Copper River salmon already over?

Actually, I question whether Copper River Salmon is worth the price since Yukon River runs follow after and they to my taste are even oilier [=better]. The salmon apparently don't eat on their way up river to spawn so they have to store energy to swim all the way to where ever on the river they breed. The Copper and Yukon are two of the longest salmon rivers so lots of stored energy in the form of fat/oil.

I actually prefer the Sockeye to the King in Copper river Runs even though I don't think Sockeye have as much oil.

In Seattle last night I saw Columbia River Sockeye for $9 per pound, whole fish and $11 for the fillet.

Robert

Seattle

Actually, I question whether Copper River Salmon is worth the price since Yukon River runs follow after  and they to my taste are even oilier [=better].  The salmon apparently don't eat on their way up river to spawn so they have to store energy to swim all the way to where ever on the river they breed.  The Copper and Yukon are two of the longest salmon rivers so lots of stored energy in the form of fat/oil.

I actually prefer the Sockeye to the King  in Copper river Runs even though I don't think Sockeye have as much oil.

In Seattle last night I saw Columbia River Sockeye for $9 per pound, whole fish and $11 for the fillet.

Than how would we know if we were getting Yukon River runs? I really love Copper River salmon and will pay the price for it given its season is so short, but I'd like to know more about this Yukon River. I only buy king at those prices, thought, have always found sockeye disappointing.

At the beginning of salmon season, prices always start off exorbitantly high before dropping off as the season progresses. Is the salmon in the beginning of the season better?

Sigh... Why does it seem Seattle has basically cornered the market on fresh, high quality CR salmon? I could understand if CR salmon was local to Seattle, but the CR salmon has to get shipped from Alaska to Seattle just like it would need to get shipped to Southern California. The real distance is from Alaska to Seattle, and its not like Southern California is not that much further from Seattle.

At the beginning of salmon season, prices always start off exorbitantly high before dropping off as the season progresses. Is the salmon in the beginning of the season better?

Sigh... Why does it seem Seattle has basically cornered the market on fresh, high quality CR salmon? I could understand if CR salmon was local to Seattle, but the CR salmon has to get shipped from Alaska to Seattle just like it would need to get shipped to Southern California. The real distance is from Alaska to Seattle, and its not like Southern California is not that much further from Seattle.

Because Jon Rowley, who started the pr on copper river and yukon lives here?