• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cambro Food Storage Containers

mcohen

Is there a difference between the translucent containers vs. the clear containers that would explain the price difference between them where the clear ones are so much more expensive than the translucent? Is there some difference in quality between the two? Otherwise, why would people more to get the clear containers?

And, once you close a container with a lid, does that give you a tight, vacuum seal? Are there some things that shouldn't be stored in these containers?

I'm just trying to figure out why these containers are so popular.

Edited by mcohen (log)

Is there a difference between the translucent containers vs. the clear containers that would explain the price difference between them where the clear ones are so much more expensive than the translucent? Is there some difference in quality between the two? Otherwise, why would people more to get the clear containers?

And, once you close a container with a lid, does that give you a tight, vacuum seal? Are there some things that shouldn't be stored in these containers?

I'm just trying to figure out why these containers are so popular.

you would have to read the specs, but I am willing to be that the clear ones can withstand heat in a way the white ones can not. That's not an issue with storing dry stuff like flour, sugar, rice, beans, etc.

In my experience, the lids aren't "vacuum tight" I originally stored my brown sugar in one (white), just dumped in there, but it dried up. A slice of bread brought it back to life, but I now keep the brown sugar in the original plastic bag that it comes in from the store while it's in the container.

Still, I've never ever had issues with bugs in the flour. I store that loose in a white one. Just open the bag and dump it in.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

The clear plastic Cambros are polycarbonate (="Camwear") and are the most heat-resistant (to 100C) and the most stain-resistant. They're also somewhat more durable but this would be a non-issue in home use.

There are 2 very similar white plastic Cambro lines, one called "Translucent" and the other more opaque and cheaper one "Poly". I think these are polypropylene and polyethylene, respectively, but I could be wrong; even distributors get confused between the two. They're both supposedly good to 70C. The "Poly" line is far more available at distributors than the "Translucent".

If you're storing dry goods, the only advantage to polycarb is that it's see-though. For hot liquids polycarb is best, but as long as you're willing to let stocks or whatever cool a little before you pour them into the containers, any of them will do the job.

Edit: spelling

Edited by HKDave (log)

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

The clear plastic Cambros are polycarbonate (="Camwear") and are the most heat-resistant (to 100C) and the most stain-resistant. They're also somewhat more durable but this would be a non-issue in home use.

There are 2 very similar white plastic Cambro lines, one called "Translucent" and the other more opaque and cheaper one "Poly". I think these are polypropylene and polyethylene, respectively, but I could be wrong; even distributors get confused between the two. They're both supposedly good to 70C. The "Poly" line is far more available at distributors than the "Translucent".

If you care about such things, polycarbonate may be a source of bisphenol A (BPA), which has had some bad press recently. The other two plastics should be BPA-free.

Why do people like them? The rectangular shape is space-efficient, and the polycarb ones are close to indestructible.

Just to further muddy the water....

There's a version of the hard plastic Cambros which can take oven temperatures - if you see them stacked they are obviously an amber colour, but it's easy to miss if you just pick up a single box. The 'freezer to oven' rated ones are more expensive than the standard clear polycarbonate.

The lids for all types range from clear plastic 'serving covers' through polyethylene 'clip-on' type to clear lids with very effective gasket type seals. Guess which ones are the expensive type :)

We use the poly clip on lids for general storage and freezer, and the gasket type for those occasions where spill-resistance is at a premium [e.g. carrying dinner fixings over to friends on a bicycle]

We use CamSquare (that's the trademark for the Cambro square containers) clear containers for lots of stuff: dry-goods storage, refrigerating stock overnight to defat, etc. As a home cook it's not worth the trouble to me to have some of the clear and some of the white, even though the white ones are cheaper. I like knowing that every Cambro I have can be treated the same, can accommodate hot liquids, is see-through so I don't have to label it with masking tape . . . . So I just have a bunch of the clear ones with the regular lids. I order from Bigtray.com. They're great. I'm actually thinking I might order a couple more this week.

• Like 1

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 1 year later...

I'm considering getting some Camwear containers for storing chocolates in the freezer. Can anyone suggest which base and which lid would be appropriate? I am thinking the lids with the gasket would be best as it is important to keep air out. As for the container itself??? Which would be best for freezer use?

Somebody straighten me out. I have the square, the round poly and a few of the poly carbon clear. It is my notion that the square do not really seal so to make what ever I am saving not pick-up reefer orders I most always use the round in the ice box.

Am I tilting at wind mills? If the square do the job, they are hella better to use.

Robert

Seattle

I'm considering getting some Camwear containers for storing chocolates in the freezer. Can anyone suggest which base and which lid would be appropriate? I am thinking the lids with the gasket would be best as it is important to keep air out. As for the container itself??? Which would be best for freezer use?

You could use either for the freezer. My issue is how do you wrap the chocolates to avoid condensation either while they are cooling down or when they come back up to room temp. Since the containers are NOT air tight, you presumably could also get moisture coming in or out as well. You might want to consider a contain that is indeed air tight.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

You could use either for the freezer. My issue is how do you wrap the chocolates to avoid condensation either while they are cooling down or when they come back up to room temp. Since the containers are NOT air tight, you presumably could also get moisture coming in or out as well. You might want to consider a contain that is indeed air tight.

Thanks Lebowits. Yes, I think I will go with the 'grip lids'. I wonder if they are easy to get on and off?? If they seal that tightly that might be a chore. If anyone has experience with these I'd love to hear how easy they are to get into. Here is a link to them:

http://cool.cambro.com/Camwear_GripLids_Food_Pans_and_Lids_Storage.ashx

The key is to fill the container completely so there is very little air space left. But I also plan to get a pump-n-seal so the contents are under vacuum. Here is some info on it:

http://www.pump-n-seal.com/

I've heard good things about it. Right now I put completely boxed chocolates into double ziplock bags and vacuum seal. I freeze (no cool down) with no issues. To thaw, I remove the pkg. from the freezer, and put into an insulated bag and that goes in the fridge for 18 -24 hours. Then I remove the insulated bag and the package stays in the fridge another 18 -24 hours. Then it's back in the insulated bag which stays at room temp. for 18 -24 hours. Then out of the insulated bag again and leave another 18 -24 hours at room temp. before taking the box of chocolates out of the ziplock bags. Sounds complicated but it's not. It's just a very slow thaw so no condensation forms. I've rushed the process and had no issues.

Ideally, I would like to be able to access chocolates directly from the freezer. So I'd love to know how easy the grip lid is to get into when it's frozen!

Ideally, I would like to be able to access chocolates directly from the freezer. So I'd love to know how easy the grip lid is to get into when it's frozen!

I'm thinking that if the (unwrapped) chocolates are removed from the freezer to defrost at room temp, the risk of condensation forming on the product is very high. Noting the "double wrap" in your wrap/freeze procedure, any condensation, which might occur, would be on the wrap outside of the box, and not on the product.

wrt Cambros in general... I love them. The square, non-gasket tops do indeed leak, but not enough to be problematic for static (i.e., in-fridge) storage. I use the translucent ones for areas which may be exposed to light, and clear ones for everything else. Also have one or two round containers for measure/mix/store procedures.

Karen Dar Woon

Yes, I think I will go with the 'grip lids'. I wonder if they are easy to get on and off?? If they seal that tightly that might be a chore. If anyone has experience with these I'd love to hear how easy they are to get into.
They seal pretty tightly. If memory serves the seal has three lips, but it may only be two. They fit inside the top section of the Cambro, not over the outer edge. When I get home I'll have to try filling a container with water and doing an inversion test. :smile:
The key is to fill the container completely so there is very little air space left.
Perhaps not relevant for you, but in general I doubt this will work. As noted above, the grip lids fit down into the inside of the Camware pans. The maximum useful fill line becomes the pan shoulder, unless you're prepared to put up with a lot of 'squish-out' when you close them.
I'd love to know how easy the grip lid is to get into when it's frozen!
Probably not very :biggrin:

• 6 months later...

I'm bumping this topic up just in case anyone is interested that Cambro containers are now available at Amazon.com

In California, where I live, these are available at Smart & Final stores but for people who are far from the stores or in states where there are no readily available vendors, this may be something to consider.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 year later...

I'm looking for a large cambro poly box in the NYC area.... Does anyone know where I can get it? If possible, I'd like to avoid online since shipping costs for such a bulky item might be really high.

• 3 years later...

I am seeking lidded storage boxes for chocolates and came upon this thread.  I found some Rubbermaid food boxes that are the right size, but they seem very expensive (around $45 for a 12" x 18" box with lid).  Cambro boxes are more reasonably priced, but I find the available materials quite confusing.  As a poster suggested above, the Camwear GripLids sound perfect for chocolate storage, and they come in the right size (around $17 for each lid + the cost of the box).  My problem is that I cannot find (on the Cambro site or on Webstaurant.com) which box one is supposed to buy to go with the lid.  Does the lid fit any of the Cambro boxes of the appropriate size?  In addition, if anyone has experience with the GripLids, I would appreciate hearing about that.

Jim, I think it looks like the grip lids fit any bottom of the appropriate size, based on hotel pans.   http://www.cambro.com/Products/Food_Pans_and_Lids/10737419403/1033.aspx

I have several cambro quarter pans (the softer opaque ones)  with matching lids.  For most items, I pack them in ziploc freezer bags to protect from moisture, but for loose bonbons I just layer between candy pads then wrap the whole box in plastic.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

I think it looks like the grip lids fit any bottom of the appropriate size, based on hotel pans

Thanks for that.  I knew the info had to be available somewhere.

For most items, I pack them in ziploc freezer bags to protect from moisture, but for loose bonbons I just layer between candy pads then wrap the whole box in plastic.

Is that for refrigerating or for freezing them?

I have a lot of Cambro square containers that I use for different types of flour.  I like the heavy duty ones since they go in and out of the freezer.   I have some of their round food storage containers that I use for doughs and brining, etc.  I even like the small 1-quart size for leftovers.  I keep my wheat flours and most flours that see only occasional use in the freezer. 

Is that for refrigerating or for freezing them?

Either/both.  Actually I have some bonbons in the freezer that I just left in the molds and wrapped in a few layers of plastic, figuring the molds would be good protection.  Of course I can't use those molds for more bonbons since they are in the freezer, but bonbons haven't been great sellers for me. I think they are too fancy or something. :hmmm: