• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hush Puppies

project

BISHOP'S HUSHPUPPIES

These are called "Bishop's Hushpuppies." Bishop was a maintenance man at Texas A&M and became sort of a minor celebrity for his hushpuppies. The story goes that he'd often have friends and co workers over for a feast of catfish, beans, coleslaw and, among other things, his famous hushpuppies. Latecomers were in danger of missing out on the 'puppies, so the guests ALWAYS arrived on time for Bishop's parties.

1 cup each water ground white corn meal and flour

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper

1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (Texas 1015's are great when in season)

4 scallions, including tops, finely chopped

1 or 2 jalapenos, seeds removed, finely chopped

1 roasted and skinned sweet red pepper, finely chopped

1 1/2 cups buttermilk

2 eggs

oil for frying

Combine the first 9 ingredients in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl stir together the buttermilk and eggs until well mixed, and then add to the dry ingredients, stirring well.

Pour some oil (1/2 inch or so) into a heavy skillet (I guess you can use your deep fryer) and heat until almost sizzling. HOT! HOT! HOT! Drop batter into oil by tablespoonsful and cook over moderate heat until browned and puffy then, if using a skillet, which is what Bishop used, turn and brown the other side. When done, remove with slotted spoon, drain on newspaper or paper towels. Keep oil hot and, if using a skillet, add more oil as needed to maintain depth.

These are very good with catfish or 'cue.

And here's another recipe from my Hushpuppy Collection, although I've not tried it yet.

SMITHFIELD HAM HUSHPUPPIES WITH FRESH CORN

This next hushpuppy recipe is a little different, using finely diced Smithfield ham and corn kernels. It's a little "busy" for a puppy, but the flavors and textures are pretty nice, and they'll go well with grilled chicken, salads, coleslaw and the like. I wouldn't include them in a menu with pork or beef, and probably not with most fish, either, but that’s just my preference.

3/4 cup yellow corn meal

1/4 cup all purpose flour

1/2 tsp Kosher salt

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

To 1 egg add enough buttermilk to make 3/4 cup total

1 tablespoon melted bacon fat or vegetable oil

1/2 cup Smithfield ham, diced fine

3/4 cup corn kernels (drained canned, fresh or frozen thawed)

1/2 cup chopped scallion

Vegetable oil for frying (about 2 tablespoons)

Sift together all the dry ingredients, including the cayenne, into a bowl. In a separate small bowl, whisk the egg and buttermilk until well mixed. Stir the melted bacon fat or oil into the egg milk mixture. Gently stir the egg milk mixture into the sifted dry ingredients until completely blended, but don't overmix. Fold in the diced ham, corn kernels, and chopped scallion. To cook, heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat until a drop of water crackles when dropped in the oil, around 375 degrees. The amount of oil you use will depend on the size of the skillet as you want the oil to come about half way up the sides of the puppies. Drop heaping teaspoons of the batter into the hot oil and cook until golden brown on all sides, about two to three minutes. The interior texture should be dense but not damp. Don't overcook or those puppies become dry and slightly bitter.

... Shel

• 10 years later...

I have a Hush Puppies trouser belt, but you can't have it. It's holding me together.

belt.thumb.jpg.8f044abfdaf51897d55073742d948887.jpg

I dont know if these are what you want, but the only edible hush puppies I've eaten are these from Jamie Oliver. Made by a friend. Rather good, I thought.

• Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I have a Hush Puppies trouser belt, but you can't have it. It's holding me together.

belt.thumb.jpg.8f044abfdaf51897d55073742d948887.jpg

I dont know if these are what you want, but the only edible hush puppies I've eaten are these from Jamie Oliver. Made by a friend. Rather good, I thought.

Do you have the shoes to match?

I am looking at that Jamie Oliver recipe and eyeing my air fryer… I love fried food, but not the dealing with hot oil part. I may have to give it a play.

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.