• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

South East Sardinia

Man

Woman and I are going to spend 12 days on the coast East of Cagliari in September. Any recommendation for eating out -from humblest trattoria to fine dine- warmly appreciated! (Last year we tried the Michelin starred S'Apposentu in Cagliari which unfortunately has folded)

• 1 month later...
Woman and I  are going to spend 12 days on the coast East of Cagliari in September. Any recommendation for eating out -from humblest trattoria to fine dine- warmly appreciated! (Last year we tried the Michelin starred S'Apposentu in Cagliari which unfortunately has folded)

Well...since nobody answered I guess nobody knew.

But now I know!

THE place where to go for fresh fish (and more) is:

Da Barbara (on the strada provinciale Cagliari-Villasimius, localita' Solanas).

(Careful not to confuse with Santa Barbara nearby, not too bad but not as good). This is a little gem, your typical family run place where superbly fresh materials are simply and traditionally cooked, but where the room is run and decorated with modern criteria, and where the wine list rises well above the choice between 'vino della casa' and another one...Don't miss their home made desserts (traditional seadas, and fried ravioli with ricotta di pecora). Astounding prices, too.

The place to avoid (shamefully listed on ViaMichelin)

Cala Caterina (via Lago Maggiore 32 I - 09049 VILLASIMIUS)

ViaMichelin says: 'A fascinating dining hall with a fine choice of interesting menus.'. Rubbish. It was rubbish from beginning to end, with the capital sin of Italian cuisine (pasta not cooked on the spot) just the most glaring insult. And the most expensive of the places we tried in the area.

(Pics and more extended comments will follow in due course at our place.)

Grazie Man!

We were planning a trip to Sardina and I was hoping that you would come back with some info. Our plans changed and we are heading up to Friuli....and no one on eG seems to have much beta on that either. Maybe we should start writing the off the beaten track guide??