• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where can I eat in Wapping?

I am starting a new job in Wapping on Monday and it is going to be very hard to leave Borough which has turned into a foodie heaven over the last 5 years. I am interested not just in restaurants but also sandwich shops (will anything replace my beloved Konditor and Cook?), pubs and delis.

I've had a quick trawl of the board and have noted Wharf. Grateful for any other suggestions from Tony our Wapping resident and everyone else.

C

Working in Wapping? I didn't know you were an Estate Agent. Whereabouts will you be? Wharf is an excellent Thai restaurant. Next door to it is Il Bordello,a perfectly decent upmarket Trattoria with huge pizzas and some decent fish and seafood specials.

On Wapping Lane there's a Pizza Express and an Indian/Bagladeshi restaurant (2 separate menus) called Le Spice. The food is ordinary but you can BYO.

As I've said before, Wapping Food can't make up its mind whether it's a restaurant in an art gallery or vice versa. The standard varies but I enjoyed the last meal I had there a couple of weeks ago. It's got a short but very good all Aussie wine list.

More towards St Katherine Dock is Smollenskys. Simon M, extolled the virtues of a steak he had there on this board and I can vouch for that as I had an excellent steak there too.

There are several pretty riverside pubs in Wapping but the standard of food is very ordinary. Your best bet is the restaurant on the first floor of The Captain Kidd which buys its meat from the good butcher on Wapping Lane.

In fact that butcher is the only decent food shop in the area and there's certainly no cofee bar like Konditor and Cook,although the little coffee bar on the ground floor of my block of flats,Merchant Court, is OK for a coffee and a quick lunch pit stop.

PM me with where you're going to be and maybe we can meet up for a meal.

• 8 months later...

They seem to have a job lot of Welsh Black beef at Wapping Food these days as its always on the menu and they do big marinated joints of it for large parties as part of a set meal.

I'd not heard of it but enjoyed a rib steak of it last night. Smallish (for me) steak but very good flavour, rich and subtle, accompanied by great chips-large, golden brown, crunchy outside, melting inside.....mmmmm....best chips I've had this year.

Worth it if you're in Steak&Chips mode.

• 3 years later...

Are you guys (or anyone else) still in Wapping?

After much flat and soul searching, we have just moved here....

My favourite place (and current location) is Gastronomica, a food shop/lunch place/coffee shop... free wireless broadband, lovely staff and good food. Had a delicious risotto here yesterday at lunchtime which was just the thing to keep me on my feet during the big move.

Catriona - not sure if Wapping and Canary Wharf overlap/are the same. I've eaten a few times in Canary Wharf, but frankly whatever the quality of the restaurant it's difficult to get a neutral atmosphere during the week (too many bankers) or at the weekend, lots of baby buggies. Apart from neighbourhood restaurants (eg coffee shops and takeaways), I tend to look to the West End for a better all-round eating experience.

On the other hand, if you can face a trek into the wilderness of Hoxton, you can try Bacchus for an interesting brush with modernist (sous vide) cooking - and the chef's a nice guy.

Happy eating!

Are you guys (or anyone else) still in Wapping?

I work there and, sad to report, the options outlined above are still pretty much the same. Think the only notable addition is Lilly's, which is handy when you're in need of an eggs benedict.

Heading north towards the City, Rosemary Lane seems to be completely undiscovered. Does a pleasant and seasonal (albeit sometimes aggressively priced) menu. You've also got several reliable Indian options, including Cafe Spice Namaste and the unpromising-looking Empress (not to be confused with the Hackney pub of the same name).

Finally, special mention for Frank & Stein, perhaps London's oddest sandwich shop. It is the only resident left in the now-abandoned £50 million Tobacco Dock yuppie project next to Rupert's Fortress. The sandwiches are shit, but it's still worth a visit for the odd, post-holocaust atmosphere.

Rosemary Lane seems to be completely undiscovered.

Undiscovered by the Good Food Guide maybe but Rayner, Coren, Norman, Maschler, Square Meal and Time Out have all found their way there.

I meant by real people. The critics are required to investigate backroom joints with ambitious-sounding menus in the arse end of nowhere (particularly, in the case of Coren, when they're 2 minutes from the office). But when was the last time it was mentioned by a paying customer?

Edited by naebody (log)

I've eaten at Rosemary Lane a couple of times (my gf works round the corner, and it's the only decent eaterie in her immediate vicinity). The place is a little dour, but the food is edible, although also pretty unmemorable - I can't actually recall a single thing I've eaten there... I'd second the comment about aggressive pricing, and this, as well as a double debit from my gf's credit card (which the restaurant have denied) hasn't encouraged repeat visits.

Oooh, so there's a war of opinions on Rosemary Lane... I look forward to trying it out and reporting back!

As for Bacchus, Baggy, sad as it is to say, that's one of the first thoughts I had when we decided to move to wapping - "ooh, we'll be near Bacchus"! Really looking forward to getting there but I'm planning to celebrate my first full paycheck there... so I might as well make a reservation for 1 March. Pip? Can I? Moving house/country/job is bloody expensive.

Thanks for your advice, all!