• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for cooking class

achevres

I still teach on occasion, and these are great suggestions. I've also found that a bit of "kitchen science"...but just a bit,  added to the teaching of techniques helps a fledgling cook know WHY they are doing things a certain way.

While you don't have to entertain like Alton Brown, if you have a good look at Harold McGee before you start teaching Vinaigrette (emulsification) will help give her some  stepping stones to use for herself.

I have been reading up on the basics to make sure I have my science correct. My student has been asking questions about everything, and I like to be prepared. I have read Harold Mcgee but don't own a copy...this is a great excuse to get it. :wink:

I have read Harold Mcgee but don't own a copy...this is a great excuse to get it. :wink:

I like McGee's book, but I find Shirley Corriher's Cookwise to be more readable, with helpful troubleshooting tips. I suggest taking a look at Cookwise, too.

I would also recommend Alice Waters' The Art of Simple Food for some great, simple recipes. It's my new favorite cookbook these days.

Thanks for letting us know about your progress with the cooking lessons! It's fun to read about. :smile: