• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to find flour containers?

SusanGiff

Right now, I keep my many types of open bags of flour tucked in Ziploc bags to keep the bugs away, but honestly, they look kind of messy. Does anyone know of a vendor for Tupperware type containers that will snugly hold a bag of flour? I'm interested in just popping the bag itself in, not emptying it into a container (that would be too easy to find!), so I can see right away which type I'm reaching for. Oh, one more condition: They should seal tightly enough to keep out the flour moths. King Arthur sells exactly what I'm talking about, but specifies that the seal is not airtight, and therefore not bug-proof.

Thanks!

Edited by SusanGiff (log)

Right now, I keep my many types of open bags of flour tucked in Ziploc bags to keep the bugs away, but honestly, they look kind of messy. Does anyone know of a vendor for Tupperware type containers that will snugly hold a bag of flour? I'm interested in just popping the bag itself in, not emptying it into a container (that would be too easy to find!), so I can see right away which type I'm reaching for. Oh, one more condition: They should seal tightly enough to keep out the flour moths. King Arthur sells exactly what I'm talking about, but specifies that the seal is not airtight, and therefore not bug-proof.

Thanks!

The 4, 6, 8 quart (etc) containers sold @ smart and final and restaurant supply stores do the trick for me. These are airtight. And cheap as well.

Since starting to store *all* grains, flour, rice & legumes in them our moth problem has gone away. I don't know what they are called, translucent white with markings both in quarts and liters.

Edited by 6ppc (log)

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

I've been using the King Arthur containers for years--the cylindrical ones that hold the contents of a five-pound bag--and I've never had problems with critters of any kind in my flour. I wrote on the tops with a marker so I can distinguish bread flour, pastry and all-purpose.

MaryMc

Seattle, WA

Do you have a "Container Store" near you? Be careful...it'll become your new favorite store. I use their pet food containers: tall, rectangular, holds 20lb sacks if flour, if you're so inclined. If not, will hold ALL your bags of various flours. They're on wheels too!

The Container Store

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

I freeze all the grain and flour that comes into our house. A couple weeks in the freezer will kill the moth larva. I once wrote Lundberg Rice company and they sent me a bunch of lit on the India Grain moth [i working off memory so that may or maynot be the correct name].

After weeks in the freezer is hardly any inconvenience. The lack of moths flying about the pantry is wonderful.

Another trick I used for a while that seemed to work was to put some dried Bay Leaf in the container with the grain or flower.

I like the square restaurant containers as they stack in the fridge or shelf nicely.

Edited by RobertCollins (log)

Robert

Seattle

I don't know what they are called, translucent white with markings both in quarts and liters.

That would be Cambro, and I switched over to them a couple of years ago -- haven't looked back at Tupperware or Rubbermaid since! Good stuff, can take a beating, and haven't seen nary a bug :unsure:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Freezing flour is the key to be moth-free. We had big problems for a while and now none in years. After a few days freezing we put flour into a tight latched container or one with a heavy pottery lid.

I get my Cambro at www.surfasonline.com

Inexpensive, fast delivery and HUGE selection. Just beware, this place will suck you in a spit you out sans your credit card.

Oh, go put on your big girl panties and just DEAL with it!

one thing to be aware of with the Cambro stuff.

If you buy them from a restaurant supply store, the lids are typically sold seperately. So, be sure to factor in the cost of the lid when comparing prices if you buy them from King Arthur or wherever.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

The large Cambro containers and lids are sold separately.

I have found the best prices at Smart & Final, King Arthur marks them up a lot.

I have every size from 1 quart to 22 quart and use them for everything.

I posted this photo in Jan '05 in some topic but don't recall which one, it shows a few both in use and empty.

I use the big ones for everything from dough proofing to making cheese, as well as storage.

gallery_17399_60_1105293657.jpg

They can go through the dishwasher, unlike much of the Tupperware stuff.

I take a container full of soup from the freezer and defrost then heat it in the microwave with never a problem.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett