• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cockroach in kitchen!

Talat_kas

I am very much annoying with the movement of too many cockroaches in my kitchen :angry: although i put some insects killing powder in the corner walls of kitchen but these are not working. Is there any permanent solution to finish them???

Easy Recipes - A place to find and share cooking recipes that are easy to make.

Buy Kitchen Blenders : Online shop to order kitchen blenders for home & commercial use - All brands listed - Some items ship within 24 hrs

I don't get cockroaches (knock on wood!) but I do get ants. My solution is a trigger spray called OrangeGuard. Its active ingredient is orange oil and it's nontoxic around pets and food (I wouldn't spray it on the counters, though). Most drugstores and hardware stores carry it.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

We tried to get rid of ours when we lived in an infested appartment without success. The exterminator we called got rid of them in a single visit... sometimes professionals have the right tools and knowledge.

It sounds like you're already trying boric acid, but in case you aren't, here's an article: http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef614.asp

The info on "Using Boric Acid Like a Pro" might be helpful.

My first apt long ago was infested with roaches. (What a memory!) Only repeated visits by the exterminator got rid of them, until the insecticide knocked off all the generations that had been spawned.

My spouse was raised in Zambia and apparently they have cockroaches as big as a chihuahua. No matter what they tried, nothing worked. Then the locals told them to put soda bottle caps full of plaster of paris around the kitchen. They did, and the roaches were gone. The concept is that the roaches eat the plaster, the plaster hardens in their stomach, and they die. They specifically said soda caps, so maybe the idea is that the sugar in the cap attracts the roaches. Not sure about that though.

My spouse was raised in Zambia and apparently they have cockroaches as big as a chihuahua.  No matter what they tried, nothing worked.  Then the locals told them to put soda bottle caps full of plaster of paris around the kitchen.  They did, and the roaches were gone.  The concept is that the roaches eat the plaster, the plaster hardens in their stomach, and they die.  They specifically said soda caps, so maybe the idea is that the sugar in the cap attracts the roaches.  Not sure about that though.

Thanks for your tip!! I'll try this and let you know the result.

Easy Recipes - A place to find and share cooking recipes that are easy to make.

Buy Kitchen Blenders : Online shop to order kitchen blenders for home & commercial use - All brands listed - Some items ship within 24 hrs