• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sant'Agata sui due Golfi - Don Alfonso

Pranian man

The garden produce at Don Alfonso is outstanding and meals can be very good if the kitchen is "on," but unfortunately Don A is in semi-retirement and his sons are taking over. The food has taken some unfortunate turns in the effort to modernize, while the frumpy dining room is in far more need of it. We were particularly disappointed in the fish casserole. Far better were anything involving tomatoes or veggies, like the veggie tempura, the nettle ricotta gnocchi, or the vesuvius rigatoni. The family, however, is outstandingly hospitable, and it would be great to see the kitchen back on form.

One place I love is Nonna Rosa near Sorrento, particularly the eggplant 4 ways and the homemade filled pastas, and my favorite Neapolitan pizza is Pizzaiolo del Presidente in Napoli.

I recommend that you visit "Torre del Saracino" in Vico Equense. Check their website Torre del Saracino.

Gennaro Esposito is the rising Italian chef that can perform magic with seafood and local produce. Do not miss it! And the value for money is unbeatable for a Michelin starred restaurant.

After Saracino you need to relax from the intensity of the gastronomic experience. There is no better place to do so than "Ristorante La Torre" in the piazzetta of the samll town of Santa Maria Annunziata, Massa Lubrense. Wonderful family food prepared by Maria, frequented by Neapolitans who love the place.

athinaeos

civilization is an everyday affair

the situation is hopeless, but not very serious