• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Report: 2008 Heartland Gathering in Chicago

tammylc

My apologies!  I left out the sidedish that was served Sat. night with Ronnie's ribs and Marmish's slaw - potato!  Please tell us who made these and the details - i remember yummy, but not much more.

These delectable potatoes were made by elfin.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Clockwise from the far left, there's tammylc (Tammy); two people I recognize but am absolutely blocking out their names (help, again, please); nyokie6 and spouse (Toby and Ron); HeatherM (Heather); someone I don't recognize; and jesteinf and spouse (Josh and Marisa). I'm pretty sure this was the Martinez station.

gallery_10547_1214_4217.jpg

The people you are missing are Neil (Amy Viny's husband), Amy Viny, and then me (Santo_Grace). The person next to jesteinf is my guest Steve. Also, judging from the serious look on Marisa's face, I know what she was talking so intently with Tammy about.

Me, too, but I'm not telling... :wink:

Hey, people on here are obsessed with food. My wife just happens to be obsessed with something else :wink:

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

My apologies!  I left out the sidedish that was served Sat. night with Ronnie's ribs and Marmish's slaw - potato!  Please tell us who made these and the details - i remember yummy, but not much more.

These delectable potatoes were made by elfin.

=R=

How were they made?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Even with all of the time, effort and planning that Ronnie put into the weekend - he still had a few tricks up his sleeve! One of these was including Gary Wiviott of Chicago's lth forum [and his lovely wife ellen] in the festivities. Gary's website. Gary was a fun dining companion, and helped with the meal planning and menus.

And so it came to pass on Friday morning, a stretch Ford Excursion limo drove up to the doubletree hotel in skokie, just for us! A dozen of us would eventually travel together on a whirlwind food tour of Chicago!

gallery_21337_6173_67863.jpg

gallery_21337_6173_14384.jpg

I had known this plot was hatching since October, when ronnie & julie had shown us the town, as depicted here: thread on oct trip. Still, i only knew a few details as friday unfolded - and i was delighted that Gary and our own Fatguy would be joining us.

The only "repeat" from October was the first stop: the original location of the now-franchised Al's Italian Beef.

gallery_21337_5340_23083.jpg

gallery_21337_6173_11183.jpg

gallery_21337_6173_63243.jpg

gallery_21337_6173_61029.jpg

Beef & Sausage w/hot & mild peppers, wet

Bob and i wisely brought a sharp knife for this trip, which came in very handy for sharing!

gallery_21337_6173_7235.jpg

Since we did the purist experience last time [just beef], we decided to add the sausage this time - heaven on a bun!

our next stop was right across the street:

gallery_21337_6173_66781.jpg

Mario's Italian Frozen Lemonade

Again, Bob & I took the purist approach, even though the many flavors offered were tempting, and got our lemonade straight.

gallery_21337_6173_36463.jpg

Frozen Lemonade

gallery_21337_6173_155923.jpg

Next stop:

gallery_21337_6173_62545.jpg

gallery_21337_6173_59673.jpg

1 of 2 banks of fry stations on either end of the kitchen

gallery_21337_6173_43176.jpg

Vienna beef hotdogs in the steamer

gallery_21337_6173_100746.jpg

our order - served in an incongruous paper bag

We were told that you never get the same bag twice!

gallery_21337_6173_80438.jpg

Hotdog with mustard and fries

Fries were awesome - hotdog ok.

gallery_21337_6173_94524.jpg

our order of break tamales

So named because they are small and may appear broken.

gallery_21337_6173_50840.jpg

gallery_21337_6173_152811.jpg

gallery_21337_6173_26457.jpg

gallery_21337_6173_129161.jpg

housemade hot sauce

We weren't expecting much from the hot sauce, but we were pleasantly surprised.

gallery_21337_6173_159473.jpg

Parking lot mural

Our next destination took an Hispanic turn.

gallery_21337_6173_140875.jpg

gallery_21337_6173_12211.jpg

Gary ordered a feast for us! i am doing this with over a week [and a dislocated shoulder] in the interim, so please speak up to better describe these goodies.

gallery_21337_6173_158247.jpg

Cheese chalupas

gallery_21337_6173_19468.jpg

gallery_21337_6173_106074.jpg

Pastor burrito

porky goodness in a fresh tortilla, with 3 dipping sauces on the table for added zip.

gallery_21337_6173_83646.jpg

1 of 2 different tortas we sampled

gallery_21337_6173_108124.jpg

2d torta

i'm pretty sure one of them was milanesa; don't remember the name of the other. both had crispy pork chop - 1 added cheese, 1 added ham; i think the cheese one also had avocado.

gallery_21337_6173_65988.jpg

this one had ham

gallery_21337_6173_175498.jpg

Avocado.

gallery_21337_6173_3633.jpg

our beverage of choice [empty bottle]

you can see the squeeze bottle of green sauce behind it.

they had a great selection of Mexican sodas [real sugar and not hfcs] and we tasted a specialty beverage - morchata.

Our team of eaters was unable to clean the plates at Cemitas Puebla; how would we ever consume the wares at Honey One BBQ? We brought in a pinch hitter as Jesteinf joined us for this stop.

gallery_21337_6173_164637.jpg

gallery_21337_6173_68861.jpg

ribs, served over fries and under bread, w/bbq sauce on the side

A little dry - but incredibly tasty.

gallery_21337_6173_37588.jpg

gallery_21337_6173_69269.jpg

tips. uhmmmm .....

gallery_21337_6173_97064.jpg

Gary and Ronnie had other stops in mind for us - but after we declared 'uncle' after eating just a fraction of the food on table, our hosts resigned themselves to ending the tour. Maybe.

It was 12 year old Lucas who inspired the last stop - you are never too full for ice cream, are you?

gallery_21337_6173_70968.jpg

gallery_21337_6173_80988.jpg

gallery_21337_6173_172150.jpg

not only is all of the ice cream home-made, but the range of flavors was mind blowing - from jackfruit to birthday cake! hang the knife - we weren't splitting one here!

gallery_21337_6173_146905.jpg

bob's - mango

gallery_21337_6173_28127.jpg

mine - purple yam

The limo returned us to the hotel, and we had about three hours to digest before dinner. it was an amazing experience - showing up in some of those neighborhoods in that car was worth the trip all by itself! Thanks again to Ronnie & Julie - who's generosity made this day possible. This was a true "play with your food" experience, made all the better by amazing food and wonderful company!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Hey, people on here are obsessed with food.  My wife just happens to be obsessed with something else  :wink:

And I appreciated her obsession. I'm just sad that we were both to busy recovering the next day to do anything about it!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Karen M - can you talk about what the topping you drizzled on the confit byaldi was? I'm not seeing it in my version of the French Laundry cookbook - is that something you came up with on your own?

Hi Tammy, Just to remind everyone about the movie.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/13/dining/1...gewanted=1&_r=1

Then the recipe..

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/13/dining/131rrex.html

The vinaigrette..........

FOR VINAIGRETTE

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oi

1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar

Assorted fresh herbs (thyme flowers, chervil, thyme)

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.

The pictures all look great!!!!

I actually had thyme flowers from my yard.

gallery_34671_2649_10000.jpg

The wonderful collection of herbs brought by ?

The herbs were grown and brought by the honorable elfin.

Great pics, Stacey! Thanks for posting them, Kerry.

=R=

Hi - there where more of us who brought in fresh herbs. I placed them in the vases and glasses for all to use. Dill and tarragon from my mom's back yard.

Thai basil and oregano and thyme from mine.

So while I was doing a few things in the kitchen on Saturday I handed my camera to Stacy - a friend of santo grace - and asked her to take pictures while we prepped and cooked.  I finally had a chance to look through them tonight - and picked out a few to post.  She took some wonderful pictures. 

gallery_34671_2649_20357.jpg

Ratatouille.

gallery_34671_2649_21599.jpg

One of my pictures from the river architectural tour (thank you Rona for telling us about this).

Stacey was very happy to take pictures.

I think the ratatouille picture is my favorite - probably because it was my favorite dish. Too good for words.

I'm so glad you all did the boat cruise. It is a great way to see Chicago and very relaxing to cruise the river.

Thank -you Julie, that was very nice of you. How was your dishwasher arm the next day??

And this is how things looked after sampling all four cocktails. That's Ronnie (ronnie_suburban) on the right.

gallery_10547_1214_61446.jpg

That's me on the left, and my friend Rachael. She wasn't able to attend any of the other events, but I think she has since signed up on eG.

eta: Luckgirl, thanks for the compliment on the slaw. I loved your beets, too. I am supposed to eat lots of them, so it was nice to have another way to prepare them. Hopefully, we can look you up when we come to Cleveland again. I enjoyed talking with you and your hubby at TVH.

Edited by Marmish (log)

they had a great selection of Mexican sodas [real sugar and not hfcs] and we tasted a specialty beverage - morchata.

Yum! Horchata, a beverage made from rice, is pretty common in authentic Mexican restaurants around here. I like it a lot; it's like drinking rice pudding, only thinner (obviously) and not quite as sweet or strong in flavor. Edited by nsxtasy (log)

Hi - there where more of us who brought in fresh herbs.  I placed them in the vases and glasses for all to use.  Dill and tarragon from my mom's back yard.

Thai basil and oregano and thyme from mine.

Thanks, for the correction, Karen. I should have assumed that more than one person was responsible for providing all those wonderful, fresh herbs. :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Nice to have two hands to type with again. For now.

MRI revealed a big labrum tear. :sad: Which will probably mean arthroscopic surgery. Bummer. But I had a great time at the Gathering, and fully plan to be there next year!

More photos to come, shortly.

Ok - someone had to do it!

gallery_21337_6173_48816.jpg

Three food geeks (four, if you include me!) taking pictures at the same time! The disembodied hands belong to G Wiv and Edsel; the whole photographer is Ronnie, and his son Lucas and wife Julie are next to him, looking completely bored by all of the photography going on around them. This was the beginning of our Friday dinner at Lao Sze Chuan.

Edited by NancyH (log)

Ok - someone had to do it!

gallery_21337_6173_48816.jpg

Three food geeks taking pictures at the same time!  The disembodied hands belong to G Wiv and Edsel; the whole photographer is Ronnie, and his son Lucas and wife Julie are next to him, looking completely bored by all of the photography going on around them.  This was the beginning of our Friday dinner at Lao Sze Chuan.

And that certainly got one's taste buds standing at attention. No messing around at this place! IIRC, on the table was Spicy Szechuan Cabbage; Sliced Beef and Maw, Szechuan Style; and something with Pig's Ear.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Friday evening, our tastebuds were dazzled by the fiery flavors of Szechuan cuisine at Lao Sze Chuan. Bob and I chose our table wisely - since the table next to us had only 4 people, they had a different dinner - and we passed dishes back and forth and got to try a couple of extra things! G Wiv did a marvelous job selecting a broad range of items for us to taste.

gallery_21337_6173_159816.jpg

The table next to us

Every table was set with three cold dishes, two of which were from the "very Chinese" portion of the menu:

gallery_21337_6173_3336.jpg

Sliced Beef and Maw Szechuan Style

gallery_21337_6173_17129.jpg

Pig Ear Szechuan Style

The third item is always presented as a complimentary starter at Lao Sze Chuan - Szechuan pickled cabbage.

gallery_21337_6173_70199.jpg

The hot dishes began to flow from the kitchen - and they were hot!

gallery_21337_6173_25623.jpg

Szechuan Wonton

gallery_21337_6173_20509.jpg

gallery_21337_6173_62849.jpg

gallery_21337_6173_17546.jpg

Tony's Chicken with three Chili a/k/a "Chicken Crack"

This is truly irresistible!

gallery_21337_6173_60133.jpg

gallery_21337_6173_30854.jpg

Crispy Shrimp in Mayonnaise Sauce

gallery_21337_6173_87462.jpg

Ma Po Tofu

gallery_21337_6173_20092.jpg

gallery_21337_6173_145315.jpg

Prawns with Chili

I'm not sure which menu item this was - but it was delightful. Both shrimp dishes passed my inspection - and had no off smells, tastes or textures (which frozen shrimp often has).

gallery_21337_6173_149370.jpg

gallery_21337_6173_144750.jpg

I am guessing that this lamb dish was "Lamb with Pure Cumin Powder Xin Jang Style"

It was very spicy and had a slight touch of curry flavor.

gallery_21337_6173_126526.jpg

Stir-Fried Sliced Potato with Fresh Chilli

gallery_21337_6173_44649.jpg

gallery_21337_6173_3153.jpg

My guess is that this dish was "Sauteed baby Bai Cai"

A welcome compliment to the spicy dishes that preceded it.

gallery_21337_6173_24109.jpg

It was about this time in the meal that our "neighbors" began to pass us some of their things - including this bun:

gallery_21337_6173_68952.jpg

Steamed Dumpling with Pork

gallery_21337_6173_180939.jpg

gallery_21337_6173_104997.jpg

Don't know which fish dish this was - but it was delicious!

gallery_21337_6173_188193.jpg

At this point in the dinner, we were supposed to have "Famous Dong-Po Steamed Pork Elbow" - but the restaurant did not have enough of them. Since a few people were clamoring for relief from the heat - this dish was ordered in its place:

gallery_21337_6173_97149.jpg

Noodle Pancake with Beef

This was the only dish I didn't care for - it had a tinny taste that I just couldn't get past. Oh well.

gallery_21337_6173_80308.jpg

I am hoping someone can identify these vegetables - which were a nice change of pace from the heavier dishes that preceded them.

gallery_21337_6173_172364.jpg

Another donation from the next table:

gallery_21337_6173_1316.jpg

This was one of the best things I tasted all night! Gary said it was Eggplant with Garlic Sauce, but it tasted like Chilli Egg-Plant to me. Two bites and I was done. Wo bao le (I am full).

It was fun watching other tables nearby. The couple here is enjoying hua goa or Hotpot.

gallery_21337_6173_59701.jpg

Raw goodies are served, and a pot of boiling stock (Lovers Chafing Base, Consome Chafing Base or Hot Spicy Base) and dipping sauce are also brought to the table.

gallery_21337_6173_139697.jpg

The goodie plate here includes softened bean curd stick, tofu cubes, prawns, noodles and carrots. A small wire basket is used to lower the chosen morsels into the stock to cook - it's Chinese fondue (eat your heart out, Melting Pot!). Once all of the goodies are cooked and eaten, you add the noodles to cook, and then finish the contents of the hotpot as a bowl of noodle soup, which contains all of the wonderful flavors from everything that was just cooked in the stock.

Since we have no Szechuan restaurant in Cleveland, this was an especially enjoyable dinner for us - the flavors were bold and the quality top notch! Thanks to Ronnie, and especially to Gary, for putting this together for us!

thanks for the lovely pictures Nancy.

Tony's chicken and Ma Po Tofu with 2$ pork were my two favorites.

Do you think they would deliver to Okla? :raz:

We asked about the greens and our waiter told us Chinese Broccoli-we discussed that it was different tasting from what we were all used to with Dim Sum, perhaps Gary can confirm or correct this.

So sorry to hear about your shoulder.

thanks for the lovely pictures Nancy.

Tony's chicken and Ma Po Tofu with 2$ pork were my two favorites.

Mine, too, by far. Unfortunately, I was disappointed by a surprising number of dishes.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

The greens pictured are called potherb. I was actually back at LSC last Friday and tried to order this dish. Our waitress reluctantly allowed me to do so. I'm not sure why she was so taken aback by my order, there are far stranger things on the menu there.

Also, the $2 pork is key to the Ma Po Tofu. We had it without pork on Friday night and it just wasn't the same dish.

Also, the prawns with chili are on the menu as "Dry Chili Prawns". That's one of my favorites at LSC. They're everything that salt and pepper prawns wish they could be. The fish dish is called something along the lines of "spicy fish". I can't remember the full name.

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

Fresser has started a new thread here showing images from the Ethnic Food Tour. But I'm going to put my Saturday lunch pictures in this thread.

We weren't even that hungry when we made our last stop at Himalayan Restaurant, because we'd been noshing all day! The facade promised Indian and Nepali food. LAZ and her husband chose well!

gallery_21337_6173_29245.jpg

Our group of about 15 people descended on the buffet! Normally, I'm not a big fan of buffets - but Indian food seems to lend itself to continued stewing, so it works. The food was actually very good.

gallery_21337_6173_24937.jpg

The buffet begins with a salad and sauces.

gallery_21337_6173_38691.jpg

gallery_21337_6173_57563.jpg

Chickpea Fritters

These were intended to accompany the soup; they were light and crunchy.

gallery_21337_6173_78943.jpg

Fried Potato Slices (Pakora)

gallery_21337_6173_81311.jpg

Lentil Soup

gallery_21337_6173_13562.jpg

Basmati Rice

gallery_21337_6173_79958.jpg

Sweet Spiced Rice

gallery_21337_6173_140594.jpg

Chana Masala (Chickpeas w/North Indian Spices)

gallery_21337_6173_44078.jpg

Aloo Mutter (Peas and Potatoes in Gravy)

gallery_21337_6173_33312.jpg

Paneer Masala (Indian Cheese in Gravy)

Sorry for the blur - I ran out of battery juice while trying to photograph this, and by the time I changed them and returned - the buffet line was a lot more crowded! Like Fresser, I rate this as one of my favorite dishes on the buffet.

gallery_21337_6173_108847.jpg

Cabbage Masala

gallery_21337_6173_49938.jpg

Tandoori Chicken

The only dish I tasted that wasn't very good.

gallery_21337_6173_142113.jpg

Chicken Makhani

On the other hand, this dish of chicken pieces in spicy sauce was lipsmackingly good!

gallery_21337_6173_216694.jpg

Khasi Ko Masi (Goat Meat in Typical Nepali Village Style, with Local Herbs and Spices)

This was my second favorite, after the Paneer.

gallery_21337_6173_177597.jpg

My cup of soup

gallery_21337_6173_18889.jpg

Bread Service

gallery_21337_6173_88163.jpg

My plate

I was too stuffed to try the desserts, though they did look good:

gallery_21337_6173_160339.jpg

Gulab Jamun

gallery_21337_6173_20414.jpg

Fruit Custard

We headed back to Evanston with full stomachs, ready to start cooking! Thank you to Mr. and Mrs. LAZ for organizing this fun and productive tour, and especially this tasty lunch!

Here's one of the four different "cocktail stations" at The Violet Hour. The ones we sampled -- all gin-based -- were Juliet & Romeo, Aviation, Martinez (precursor of the Martini), and something I can't remember (help, please). The Juliet & Romeo was by far my favorite. It recently was named one of the 20 best cocktails in America by GQ (#3 on the slide show). Toby (Alchemist) posted the recipe here on LTH, although I believe he used Hendrick's gin at TVH instead of the Beefeater specified in the recipe.

Groups rotated through the stations, and Toby would stop by for an instructional session on how and why each cocktail was constructed. For example, if I remember correctly (someone correct me on this, if needed), when we sampled the J & R, we started with just the main liquids, then in succession added the mint leaf, bitters, and rose water.

Clockwise from the far left, there's tammylc (Tammy); two people I recognize but am absolutely blocking out their names (help, again, please); nyokie6 and spouse (Toby and Ron); HeatherM (Heather); someone I don't recognize; and jesteinf and spouse (Josh and Marisa). I'm pretty sure this was the Martinez station.

gallery_10547_1214_4217.jpg

And this is how things looked after sampling all four cocktails. That's Ronnie (ronnie_suburban) on the right.

gallery_10547_1214_61446.jpg

I just back from a couple weeks in Nashville and Budapest and am trying to remember further back from those memories, so I may be incorrect, but I belive that the fourth cocktail was the Rivera (pineapple infused Campari, gin and Maraschino).

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

I just back from a couple weeks in Nashville and Budapest and am trying to remember further back from those memories, so I may be incorrect, but I belive that the fourth cocktail was the Rivera (pineapple infused Campari, gin and Maraschino).

Toby

Yes, that's it. It was the only one I didn't try. Darn, I have to go back to The Violet Hour. :raz: Oh well, it's a rough life, but someone's gotta drink it.