• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Report: 2008 Heartland Gathering in Chicago

tammylc

If triple-crème cheeses did not provide adequate exuberant fats  Gus,(ronnie: please remind us of his restaurant’s name) provided healthy portions of chicken fried-deep-fried bacon and cornbread dipped deep-fried chili . Yes, you heard that right.

I'm glad people enjoyed the Country Fried Bacon and the Deep Fried Chili.

Name of the restaurant is Wiener and Still Champion on Dempster St in Evanston.

Having noshed on both of these collations, I'm eagerly awaiting Deep-Fried Lipitor.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

And I want to add kudos to LAZ for putting together an excellent ethnic market tour. There were full-color printed guides to each shop, with recipes even! And crazy Korean etiquette videos. And a million wacky ice cream flavors, like mangosteen, maiz, queso, and - my favorite - avocado. It was a great trip, and she (and Dick) put a ton of work into that I really appreciated.

Thanks, to everyone for a truly wonderful (and exhausting) weekend.  It was great seeing old friends and meeting new ones.  I hope that those who were visting felt like they got a good 'taste' of what this town has to offer.  As much as we did, there was so much more we could have done, but of course, time limits kept that from happening.

I'm very sorry that I wasn't able to join in on Sunday morning at Maxwell Street but it was just not to be.  From the pictures that have been posted, it looks like it was a fabulous time and the weather was obviously, cooperative.  I wish I could have been there.  Thanks again, to David Hammond for sharing his time, passion and expertise with us.

On that note, while it seems almost inappropriate to thank specific people -- especially given how much everyone contributed to the weekend -- I'd like to at least give a shout out to those people who did things for which people were erroneously giving me credit over the weekend:

Alchemist - thanks for setting up the meal at Blackbird and for hosting us so magnificently at The Violet Hour.  Thursday night was really special and we have you to thank for it.

Marmish, karen m and santo_grace - thanks for opening your homes to us and hosting the chocolate and bread workshops.  That was going above and beyond the call of duty and it was very much appreciated.

tino27 and Kerry Beal - thank you both so much the excellent workshops you ran.  Not only did the attendees really enjoy them but the 'fruits' of those labors were among the highlights of our Saturday meal.  I also appreciate you both hanging in there over the long search for venues -- a process that took a bit more work than I initially thought it would.

G Wiv - I sincerely appreciate you helping set up Friday night's feast at Lao Sze Chuan.  It was most enjoyable and your knowledge of their menu came through loud and clear at our tables.

tammylc and Fat Guy - thanks for organizing Saturday's fantastic and memorable group meal.  Again, you guys kept things on track and on schedule.  I thought the meal and the way it was organized were both exemplary.

I want to also give a special shout out to our friends Sarah and Chris at Immanuel Lutheran Church.  They were very kind to let us use their spacious kitchen and dining room on Saturday, and Chris did yeoman's work helping us with the end of the clean-up; returning the space to the condition in which we received it.  So many items, so many cabinets and happily Chris was there to help us put it all back together.

It's great seeing your own home town through the eyes of visitors.  I had a blast and hope everyone else did too.  I know that not everyone was 100% happy about everything but I hope that speaks more to the nature of getting so many people together and trying to accomodate everyone's desires, than anything else.

From what I understand, the torch has already been passed for next year's Gathering, so stay tuned for details on that . . .

Thanks again, everyone.  It was a weekend for the ages! :wub::smile:

=R=

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I certainly didn't mean to slight those guys, was just trying to re-direct all the 'thanks' I'd received to the proper parties :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

If anyone will be posting their Saturday recipes from last weekend, would it be possible to add a known "tag" to make them searchable by the event? It would make finding them very simple.

Thanks!

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

If anyone will be posting their Saturday recipes from last weekend, would it be possible to add a known "tag" to make them searchable by the event? It would make finding them very simple.

The "Chocolate Velvet" I made is from a cookbook, so I probably should not copy it. The book is "The Four Seasons Cookbook" by Charlotte Adams, with special consultant James Beard. As I mentioned at dinner, this is the signature dessert at the Four Seasons restaurant in New York City.

I only did two things different from what was specified in the recipe, and you should be able to get the same results just going by the recipe. One variation was that I made it larger for our occasion. When I do the straight recipe, I use the second largest (7.5" diameter) of my set of four Farberware stainless steel mixing bowls as the mold. This time, I multiplied all the quantities by one and one third, and used the largest (9.5" diameter) mixing bowl. The other thing I did differently was, instead of making the genoise from scratch, or using store-bought lady fingers (both of which I've done in the past), I bought a thin layer of plain (but rich) yellow cake from Bennison's, our local bakery, to use for the cake layer... and I gotta tell you, it was better than I could have made from scratch - although it's kind of odd asking for a plain cake layer (I had to have a discussion with Jory Downer, their award-winning baker, to explain what I needed).

An interesting side note on the cookbook... it was published in 1971. A few years later, it went out of print, and was almost impossible to find. I was looking all over for it in the mid 1970s and finally located my current copy. I believe they reprinted it in 1984 and has been much easier to find since then. Click on the book cover photo to order from Amazon:

51yZkQxivXL._SL500_AA240_.gif

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

A few other 'before-the-meal' items that didn't make Tammy's official recap:

Deep-fried bacon and corn bread-wrapped chili 'bombs' brought by gp60004 (Wiener & Still Champion)

Mini hotdogs in pastry from Romanian Kosher Sausage Co., hand rolled by G Wiv

Spring Rolls and Vegetable Pancakes brought (made?) by prasantrin

Assortment of high-end iced teas brought prepared by white lotus

Great assortment of cheeses brought by nyokie6

I was outside tending the smoker for most of the afternoon, so there could be a few others, I'm not sure. These were some of the items that a few folks were nice enough to bring outside for me during the course of the afternoon. :smile:

=R=

edited to add a few others

The official Heartland Gathering Feast menu, for the use and benefit of picture posters and commentators.

Bread - 3 loaves of honey whole wheat bread, 3 loaves of Red and Black bread, 3 loaves of olive rosemary bread, 2 loaves of sweet potato bread (Tino27 and bread workshop)

Ethnic Market Amuse (tammylc, Fat Guy, Torakris and a lot of sous chefs)

- the challenge - at least one ingredient from every one of the ethnic markets

- the result:

1) fried plantain chip with apricot/mango schmear, smoked goose breast, asian pear, and chives (Filipino, Armenian/Middle Eastern, German, Korean)

2) crostini with smoked trout, fried quail egg, and dill. (Polish, Korean)

Watermelon-Tomato-Mint Soup (Alex)

Nicoise Salad (CaliPoutine)

Beet Salad & Beet Fritters (LuckyGirl)

Shrimp DeJohnge (LAZ)

Confit Byaldi (KarenM)

"Chicken and Waffles" (NancyH, BobH, Edsel, Tino27)

Smoked Ribs (Ronnie_Suburban)

Coleslaw (Marmish)

Foil wrapped potatoes of yumminess (Ellen)

Desserts:

I might forget something here, as there were so many things on the table, and i wasn't as involved in thinking about what order or time they needed to be ready...

Chocolate mousse torte (nsxtacy)

Blueberry peach crisp (CaliPoutine)

Apple cake with raspberries, whipped cream and caramel sauce (Kerry Beal)

Creme brulee in chocolate cups (Kerry Beal and chocolate workshop)

Assorted chocolates (dulce de leche, pate de fruit, bacon-salt bark) (chocolate workshop)

Pavlova (Kerry Beal)

Baylor Watermelon (Kathy)

I think this was our best meal yet, in terms of cohesiveness of the menu. And although we still sent lots of leftovers home with people, we did better on portion sizes than ever before, as evidenced by the fact that people headed to the dessert buffet right away.

Thanks to everyone who shopped, chopped, measured, cooked, set tables, or cleaned... Which was basically pretty much everyone. We all rock.

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)

Deep-fried bacon and corn bread-wrapped chili 'bombs' brought by gp60004 (Wiener & Still Champion)

I was outside tending the smoker for most of the afternoon, so there could be a few others, I'm not sure.  These were some of the items that a few folks were nice enough to bring outside for me during the course of the afternoon. :smile

Here's Ronnie in his element:

gallery_336_534_946578.jpg

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Many, many, many thanks to Ron and everyone who contributed to making this weekend such a great time. A special shout out to Alchemist for putting on a simply outstanding event at The Violet Hour.

Marissa and I really enjoyed seeing some old friends and meeting new people. We hope all of the out of towners enjoyed visiting our city as much as we love living (and eating) here.

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

I was outside tending the smoker for most of the afternoon, so there could be a few others, I'm not sure.  These were some of the items that a few folks were nice enough to bring outside for me during the course of the afternoon. :smile:

=R=

Thanks, Ronnie - I knew I would forget things from the pre-dinner noshing, so I figured I should focus on the dinner menu and leave somebody else to create this list!

Did HOLLY_L's chicken liver pate ever make it out?

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I was outside tending the smoker for most of the afternoon, so there could be a few others, I'm not sure.  These were some of the items that a few folks were nice enough to bring outside for me during the course of the afternoon. :smile:

=R=

Thanks, Ronnie - I knew I would forget things from the pre-dinner noshing, so I figured I should focus on the dinner menu and leave somebody else to create this list!

Did HOLLY_L's chicken liver pate ever make it out?

D'OH! :blush:

Yes it did and it was delicious!

=R=

It was a wonderful weekend! Sorry, it may take me a while to post photos. At the Maxwell Street Market, I stepped into a divot between two sidewalk slabs and wound up on my back, with a dislocated right shoulder.

I want to thank everyone from the group who tried to make me comfortable while we waited for the EMTs. The ER doctor was fantastic, and got me out of there in time for a little Burt's pizza in the evening.

Kudos to all - especially Ronnie!

The chicken & WAFFLE DISH was a true collaboration - once Ronnie posted that the church had a waffle making station, we started emailing each other.

The original concept was to reinvent chicken & waffles with duck and SE Asian flavors. First problem: getting fresh duck!

So, when we spied beautiful farm fresh chicken at the butcher shop LAZ & Dick brought us to, we went back to chicken. The butcher cut them up for us.

Back at the kitchen, Tino &Chris invented and perfected the waffles. Bob trimmed up the backs and made cracklings, Edsel prepared both s SE Asian spice rub for the chix, and the coconut gravy. I prepped and grilled peaches and produced butter pats.

Cooking the chix was a group effort - we'd planned to grill them, but ran out of time. So we crisped them on the flattop, then finished them in the oven.

Final plating was also team - a quarter waffle was topped with a pat of butter, a piece of chix, a slice of grilled peach and a dusting of crackling. Maple syrup and the Coconut cream sauce were on the tables.

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Is there a pic of the finished/plated chicken wafffles?? Oh, please? I am all a-twitter imagining what those must've looked like. They sound absolutely delicious!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'd allow a couple of days for the photos to pour in. Folks had to travel home, go back to work, etc.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Is there a pic of the finished/plated chicken wafffles??  Oh, please?  I am all a-twitter imagining what those must've looked like.  They sound absolutely delicious!

i have some. i am trying to master typing w/one hand - i'll try pix once i get this down!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Many thanks to all the Chicago folks who in various ways hosted us and helped with on putting this event, especially Ronnie.

KarenM it was so good to meet you and lovely to spend the afternoon in your kitchen for the bread class.

Tom, I knew the bread class would be great but you managed to far exceed my already high expectations. You are a great teacher and I am still floored by the packet you put together for the class!

Thanks to to Santo_Grace for picking up the great BBQ which gave those of us who attended the class the opportunity to try one more Chicago eats place. Also, it was very gracious of you to open your kitchen and oven to us!

The whole time that Mr. LuckyGirl and I spent in Chicago was amazing, both the scheduled events we attended and the few things we did on our own with friends (Alinea and Hot Doug's, oh my!).

Gary, thanks to you for putting together the Szechuan dinner. I SO enjoyed it. Also, if anyone can tell me what the chopped green was that we had I would appreciate it. From the poking around on the net I've done I *think* it may have been chrysanthemum but I'm not sure. I loved it and would like to know what to look for so I can make it at home.

The best part of the weekend was cooking and eating together on Saturday. It was wonderful to visit with old friends and to make new ones as well. I regret that we didn't get to visit as much with some old friends as we would have liked to but everyone was so busy! I trust we'll have more opportunities to visit before next year.

Each course of the dinner was a treat.

I especially enjoyed the chicken and waffles- seriously good eats.

CaliPoutine's composed salad was beautiful and I adored her peach and blueberry cobbler. Peach and blueberries are one of my favorite fruit combinations. I took some of the cobbler with the intentions of having it with ice cream once we got home to Cleveland but it didn't make it out of the hotel the next morning. It was good breakfast :biggrin:

Ronnie, the ribs, the ribs, the ribs... Thanks for grilling for us! :raz:

And, the coleslaw, who made the coleslaw? It was perfect.

Thanks to LAZ for the Chicago shrimp dish and oh, yes, the amuses were lovely too.

The prize for lovely though goes to KarenM's ratatouille. Wow, they were beautiful dishes and the flavors were perfect.

I didn't get to try most of the starters but that was one impressive cheese plate. Thank you for your generosity nyokie.

Alex's tomato and watermelon soup was refreshing and perfectly balanced. I admit, I was skeptical about watermelon and tomato together but he nailed it.

maggiethecat, thanks for the shout out for my beet stem pancakes. I love sharing those with people!

nxtasy, I guess I'm either going to have to purchase that Four Seasons' Cookbook or hope that you and your Mrs. can come to Cleveland to help me celebrate my 40th birthday and make it for me in April! That torte was really, really special and I know that I want it to be part of my celebration.

KerryBeal, your apple cake was also right up my alley. I like desserts that are not too sweet and your cake was enjoyed by both Steve and me.

OH! One more thing, THANK YOU to Kathy for introducing us to the Baylor's watermelon. I really didn't believe that watermelon like that existed anymore. You folks in Chicago are very lucky to have the Baylor family and their watermelon business. I hope that Steve and I can make it to town again before the season ends.

Phew, I hope I didn't leave out anything!

Once again, seeing everybody and making new friends was wonderful. The fellowship of the event is the best part!

Edited by LuckyGirl (log)

It was a wonderful weekend!  Sorry, it may take me a while to post photos.  At the Maxwell Street Market, I stepped into a divot between two sidewalk slabs and wound up on my back, with a dislocated right shoulder.

Oh no! That's not the kind of souvenir you are supposed to take home from Chicago! I hope you mend quickly.