• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris Michelin stars

nikkib

We are 5 ladies heading to paris for a friends 30th in October. I have been to paris on numerous occasions but this is the birthday girls first visit and i want to book a starred restaurant for the Friady (assuming that is better than a saturday) night. I am in the industry and would like to go all out on the food front but really what i think the others would apprecaiate the most is somewhere glam and chic over the intricies of the menu. L'atelier sort of thing i suppose although i have eaten in both the london and NYc atelier so would prefer something a little different - any advice?

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

While awaiting replies you might want to look at the topics listed in the compendium of existing topics on starred restaurants, updated just yesterday.  There are lots of good ideas and opinions there.

thanks john, had looked through previous topics but completeley managed to miss that one!

What is glam and chic for a 60 year old like me (if anything :wink: ) might be a total bore for a 30 something.

Many restaurants are closed on Saturday - so Friday is usually a better bet (depending on the restaurant).

What weekend are you talking about? I will be in Paris the first week in October and can let you know what is going on then if that is the week you will be there.

How much money do you want to spend? Higher end restaurants in Paris (particularly at the 2-3 star Michelin level) run from expensive to very expensive to "good grief" expensive. Since you are 5 people - it's good to ask your friends about this one - and get an idea what they are thinking about spending. If their budgets are at the lower end of expensive - one possibility is having a drink or two at a chic bar - and then picking a restaurant which won't break the bank (having a cocktail or two before dinner will probably also reduce your wine bill). Don't tell them that there is a new Christian Louboutin boutique in Paris. Otherwise - they may want to eat dinner at McDonald's and save their money for shoes :laugh: .

Sorry if some of these questions are indelicate - but one size doesn't fit all when it comes to restaurants.

One restaurant that comes to mind when I think of a scene for younger people is Senderens (note that I haven't eaten there since the place changed from Lucas Carton - so I am just basing my opinion on what I've read). Robyn

thanks robyn - i'm afraid shoe shops are higher on the agena than food on this occasion :angry: but i would say 200 euro p/head as a top spend inclusive of wine if thats realistic? just keen on not being the youngest people there by 30 years or being made to feel subdued by the surroundings - good food is a must but nothing too reverential if you know what i mean....

Your budget rules out most of the 3 star places - and some of the 2 stars - and - in many of those places - you'd bring down the average age by about 10-20 years. And I know what you mean by reverential. I don't mind it - but it isn't everyone's cup of tea (especially younger people).

I am still thinking Senderens. Julot is - I think - kind of busy this week - but I know he has dined at Senderens - and I would like to hear what he thinks about my idea (he is closer to your age than I am). Perhaps other people here have dined there too. I'd like to hear what they have to say. Take a look at the website and see what you think. Gaya is another possibility (again - only from what I've read). Adrian is also much closer to you in age than I am - so perhaps he can also give you his "two cents".

If you read French - take a look at Le Fooding - which is a very fashionable food site these days.

By the way - the first week of October - when I will be there - is Fashion Week. And Saturday 10/4 is Nuit Blanche. And I'm sure that there will be some fun bar scenes then (then again - at my age - I am not threatened by six foot tall women who weigh 112 pounds :smile: ). We were in Milan once during Fashion Week - and my husband thought the women in the bars were "women of the night". I had to break the news that his "women of the night" were high fashion models. Don't think I've weighed that little since I was about 12. Robyn

Just thought of this as something your group might enjoy. The Hotel Bristol occasionally has Sat. High Tea/Fashion Shows. They are having one on 10/4.

The cost is 50 euros. The hotel Bristol is lovely. You will find all the information on their website for reservations.

I will be in Paris at that time and a friend will be joining me on some dining adventures. I have made reservations for us for this.

Enjoy.....

Just thought of this as something your group might enjoy. The Hotel Bristol occasionally has Sat. High Tea/Fashion Shows. They are having one on 10/4.

The cost is 50 euros. The hotel Bristol is lovely. You will find all the information on their website for reservations.

I will be in Paris at that time and a friend will be joining me on some dining adventures. I have made reservations for us for this.

Enjoy.....

thats great thanks! appreciate all the advice, will check out senderens as well as the Bristol - both sound like what we are looking for

Here is my contact at the Bristol:

Melanie Hubert

mhubert@lebristolparis.com

She will tell you all about it and will make the reservation for you...

Enjoy...

Joan

Thanks, Looked at the menu for senderens and have booked there as well!

I am still thinking Senderens.  Julot is - I think - kind of busy this week - but I know he has dined at Senderens - and I would like to hear what he thinks about my idea (he is closer to your age than I am).  Perhaps other people here have dined there too.  I'd like to hear what they have to say.  Take a look at the website and see what you think.  Gaya is another possibility (again - only from what I've read).  Adrian is also much closer to you in age than I am - so perhaps he can also give you his "two cents".

I was indeed very busy this week -- took me two days to recover from that stage at l'Arpège. Senderens seems like a good idea -- he is one of the best chefs of the last century, incredibly talented and important. I wrote recently in this forum about how to best order there, because some dishes are merely good and some are truly exceptional. I also wrote about Senderens here: http://www.julotlespinceaux.com/2007/09/se...and-erotic.html and some more recent pictures there: http://picasaweb.google.com/jultort/Senderens4Avr08 . Those should give you an idea whether this is the kind of place you're looking for.

Senderens seems like a good idea -- he is one of the best chefs of the last century, incredibly talented and important.

I have been twice since the re-make and both times it was fine but not great. As someone who ate at l'Archestrate and early Lucas-Carton, it is apparent that this is not the same but given price-quality from a great man, it'll do very well indeed.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Another thing that 5 ladies might enjoy...brunch at either Les Ambassadeurs or Le Meurice. Very elegant decor and some good prices. I am taking a first timer to brunch at Les Ambassadeurs in early October. She is very excited about it after looking at the website.

Enjoy........

Joan

Another thing that 5 ladies might enjoy...brunch at either Les Ambassadeurs or Le Meurice. Very elegant decor and some good prices. I am taking a first timer to brunch at Les Ambassadeurs in early October. She is very excited about it after looking at the website.

Enjoy........

Joan

Thanks for that - we have decided against the bristol as most of the fashion show is bridal ware and we include a recently un - engaged (not sure that is even a word but broken hearted all the same) in our group. Brunch sounds great though...

I am still thinking Senderens.  Julot is - I think - kind of busy this week - but I know he has dined at Senderens - and I would like to hear what he thinks about my idea (he is closer to your age than I am).  Perhaps other people here have dined there too.  I'd like to hear what they have to say.  Take a look at the website and see what you think.  Gaya is another possibility (again - only from what I've read).  Adrian is also much closer to you in age than I am - so perhaps he can also give you his "two cents".

I was indeed very busy this week -- took me two days to recover from that stage at l'Arpège. Senderens seems like a good idea -- he is one of the best chefs of the last century, incredibly talented and important. I wrote recently in this forum about how to best order there, because some dishes are merely good and some are truly exceptional. I also wrote about Senderens here: http://www.julotlespinceaux.com/2007/09/se...and-erotic.html and some more recent pictures there: http://picasaweb.google.com/jultort/Senderens4Avr08 . Those should give you an idea whether this is the kind of place you're looking for.

Julot - i saw from your post that yopur meal was 323 odd euros for 2 - do you think that we can manage 200 p/head with a few bottles of wine?

Senderens looks amazing - your photos are great!

No problemo -- we did not have a light meal, and we had many of the wine pairings by the glass. Thanks for the kind words and Senderens is amazing, but as I wrote several times, there is a user manual in order to ensure that you make the best of it. Let us rediscuss this when you come and we can study the menu on line.

Just for another suggestion, you might look at Violon D'Ingres. The food is excellent and the Sat night we ate there last month, ages varied from 20's to 80's, but many tables appeared to be in their 30's to 40's. There was a group of 4 woman who appeared to be having a good time. They gave my french speaking son a menu in French and the rest of us received English menus. Our service throughout the meal reflected this attention.

I'd also suggest looking into his newer , more casual les cocottes for a lunch. There is counter seating and a few tables. No reservations, so its easy to work into a shopping day.

I love the place -- it is friendly and makes one of the best soufflé in town. As you say, it has an excellent ambiance and people have a lot of fun there. I would nevertheless differ with the notion that food at Constant is excellent. It once was, but I think he now only does good bistrots with nothing special.

I love the place -- it is friendly and makes one of the best soufflé in town. As you say, it has an excellent ambiance and people have a lot of fun there. I would nevertheless differ with the notion that food at Constant is excellent. It once was, but I think he now only does good bistrots with nothing special.

which one - les cocottes or violon? I have booked into le crillon for the brunch du monde, looks eye wateringly pricy but rather lovely....

OK, OK- I yield!! I was not thinking of it in the way that I think you are "julot". Having been to three of the "L'ateliers" I thought they might enjoy one of these somewhat not quite traditional bistros, perhaps for one of their other meals. The ambiance/mood feels similar to me and nikkib mentioned it in her reference .

Tobi

which one - les cocottes or violon? I have booked into le crillon for the brunch du monde, looks eye wateringly pricy but rather lovely....

Violon -- haven't been to les Cocottes yet.

I think you will all enjoy your brunch!!

I have known the Constants for many years. You have your choice of Violon d'Ingres, Fables de la Fontaine, Cafe Constant and Les Cocottes. I enjoy them all and do dine there when in Paris. I generall stay in the Paris Perfect apartments that are generally in the St. Dominique/Bourdonnais area. Go to Cafe Constant for breakfast, Les Cocottes for lunch and Violon or Fables for dinner..Fables is seafood. Les Cocottes is Counter with stools. Violon changed from a more formal to a more relaxed atmosphere. They are all located right there on St. Dominique.

Enjoy......