• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's Just Food. Eat It.

robyn

And as an additional point - I think it's important to state that some people who are very insistent about taking pictures have various business or commercial interests - or sometimes simply non-profit egocentric interests - like personal blogs - associated with their food photography. I do know from talking with various people over the years that "pictures sell" whatever you might try to be selling (or giving away) more than good writing - whether you're talking about magazines or web sites. But I ain't got no dog in any of these issues - and I wouldn't confuse the end with the means. On my part - I will gladly eat a good or great meal any time anywhere whether or not I can - or care to - take pictures of it. Robyn

It just seems to me that there are people who are more interested in taking pictures than eating meals.
Well, most certainly, among the millions of people eating out each day. I'm just not convinced that there's so many of them out there that I would get disturbed by it. (Besides the fact that it doesn't really make a dent in my dining experience-- only theirs. Their loss-- assuming they even mind.)

Besides, I'm pretty sure there's many a shutterbug out there who, after tasting the food, comes to the conclusion that the food was not worth taking a shot of (except to make fun of it...).

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

I have to say, I love taking photos of food, whether in Michelin 3 star fine dining restaurants, ethnic eateries or food markets and have done so all over the country and on 4 continents. It has been the extremely rare exception that I have ever encountered anything but friendly enthusiasm from restaurants, farmers or vendors.  In addition, I have noticed many others taking photographs at restaurants and have never encountered any problems or attitudes from other patrons either. Even though I use on of those "honking big" SLR's, I never use a flash and I try to be quick and considerate as I like to enjoy eating my food as well. My point here, is that I just haven't seen the negativity that you portray, Robyn, except in extremely rare circumstances and in those cases, I have respected the wishes of the potential subjects. I agree with Holly, though, that I generally avoid a place that has an attitude about it as there are simply too many great restaurants that don't.

Well it's pretty obvious to me that you and your party used flash (or a tripod with the right shutter speed) at your meal at Binkley's in 2007 (unless your private room had a lighting level about 10 times brighter than the main dining room). Do you mean that you wouldn't dine at Binkley's again as a small party in the main dining room because you'd have to use a flash to get good pictures and you won't use a flash (the main dining room has pretty low lighting)? Or that you'd use flash to get pictures - or what?

I'm not being negative. It just seems to me that there are people who are more interested in taking pictures than eating meals. Robyn

Thanks to Fat Guy for putting up the info from my photo (another advantage of digital) that shows "no flash". The fact is that flash would not have been a problem in that situation as we were all like-minded people in a private room. I have, however, become used to not using flash and prefer it that way anyway.

Your last statement must be addressed though. Assuming that you are right (which I do not agree with), what difference does it make to you if they are more interested in photographing the food than eating it? They are paying for it and should be able to derive pleasure from that meal however, they can. It seems that you are transferring your own attitudes on these other diners, but in reality, how could you possibly know what is relevant to them? It so happens that food photography enhances my meals and helps me to focus on them both then and subsequently, and yes, it helps me share my experiences better than if I didn't have photos. I suspect that I am not the only one. While we may be in a minority, I also suspect that the vast majority simply doesn't care one way or another.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I'm not being negative.  It just seems to me that there are people who are more interested in taking pictures than eating meals.  Robyn

Your last statement must be addressed though. Assuming that you are right (which I do not agree with), what difference does it make to you if they are more interested in photographing the food than eating it? They are paying for it and should be able to derive pleasure from that meal however, they can. It seems that you are transferring your own attitudes on these other diners, but in reality, how could you possibly know what is relevant to them? It so happens that food photography enhances my meals and helps me to focus on them both then and subsequently, and yes, it helps me share my experiences better than if I didn't have photos. I suspect that I am not the only one. While we may be in a minority, I also suspect that the vast majority simply doesn't care one way or another.

many, many people go out to dinner for other reasons than to eat the food. This may seem like a weird statement but just look around you in a restaurant. Couples go out to dinner to be away from their kids, businessmen to impress eachother, girlfriends to gossip and to show off their new shoes, etc.etc. (and yes I know these are all generalizations).

I see many people, without cameras, for whom the actual eating seems to come secondary... and I do say 'seems', because, as docsconz said, you never really know what your fellow diners are thinking.

For the record, I only go to restaurants to take pictures. I couldn't care less about the food.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Yet - I have been in places that are "your cup of tea" - mostly some well known places - where photography is banned.

Are you talking about restaurants? I know of no restaurant other than Momofuku Ko that bans photography (as opposed to banning just flash), so I'd be interested in other examples.

Before I wrote my first foodblog on eG, I had planned to visit a restaurant in London, ON. I asked if I could take pics of the food and I was told no( unless I was a food stylist). I chose not to eat there at the time, but I've eaten there since. The food is nothing to write home about( and I've heard this opinion from people who arent as obsessed with food as I am). I dont know what they were so up in arms about.

Here is the exact quote from my blog "First, when I got home I checked my vm and was dismayed to hear a message from the owner of Bertoldi's in London. I had called this morning to let them know I was going to be taking pictures for my blog. We had planned to eat there on Saturday night. They didnt think it would be a problem. However, the owner informed me that unless I was a professional food stylist, my pictures couldnt do the food justice."

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

Cali, I love it. You have to be a food stylist to restyle their food so it's worth photographing!

And possibly you're right, Robyn, in that French Letters could be referred to as my nonprofit egocentric interest. It's definitely nonprofit, as it doesn't pay well enough to support my restaurant habit, or my camera battery habit, or even my restaurant shoe habit. And that's despite the fact that I only have two pairs of shoes fit to wear to a restaurant, probably because I'm trusting that everyone else will mind their own business and keep their eyes off my friggin' table so I can do whatever suits me with my own food in the peace and privacy I'm paying for.

On the other hand, hundreds of people a day read French Letters, and not one has ever suggested that I'm showing an improperly egocentric attention to food detail. Probably because they only read it for the pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just gotten around to reading this thread and it seems to have hit a nerve. I enjoy reading food blogs tremendously, especially those of Abra's quality. I live in an area where I can't enjoy much fine dining so blogs and websites are inspirational. I have my own food blog, and I suppose it's egocentric, but the reason I started it was to connect with people who care as much about food as I do, since many of my local friends don't find food that interesting.

What I find strange is the vitriol directed at people who do enjoy photographing/viewing food. My memory isn't great, and without photos I wouldn't be able to recall certain aspects of the meals. I've been bothered by many things people do at restaurants, but taking pictures isn't one of them.

I will go so far as to say that food photography/blogs/websites have changed my life. There is no way I would have learned about many of things I have made or eaten (French macarons from eG for example) without them. My interest in food would never have reached the level it is without food photography and writing on the Internet. God bless those egocentric souls.

edit for typooos

Edited by Darcie B (log)

I've just gotten around to reading this thread and it seems to have hit a nerve. I enjoy reading food blogs tremendously, especially those of Abra's quality. I live in an area where I can't enjoy much fine dining so blogs and websites are inspirational. I have my own food blog, and I suppose it's egocentric, but the reason I started it was to connect with people who care as much about food as I do, since many of my local friends don't find food that interesting.

What I find strange is the vitriol directed at people who do enjoy photographing/viewing food. My memory isn't great, and without photos I wouldn't be able to recall certain aspects of the meals. I've been bothered by many things people do at restaurants, but taking pictures isn't one of them.

I will go so far as to say that food photography/blogs/websites have changed my life. There is no way I would have learned about many of things I have made or eaten (French macarons from eG for example) without them. My interest in food would never have reached the level it is without food photography and writing on the Internet. God bless those egocentric souls.

edit for typooos

Hi Darcie - I live in a somewhat "food-challenged" area too (although perhaps not as bad as West Virginia <g,d&r>). But when I do get to nice restaurants - whether local or out of town - I don't want them to be the food equivalent of Disneyworld - with a "Kodak moment" every few paces. Luckily - I have never had a problem with food photographers. I've never even seen one. Perhaps there are very few people who take pictures - or they just don't go when or where I go. Whatever - I'll take it. First time I find myself at a restaurant where I am spending a fair amount of money for a meal and there is a photo-maniac next to me - I am either moving tables - or out of the restaurant.

FWIW - I find that an excellent way to remember meals is to get copies of menus - particularly when you're dealing with complicated presentations. You might take a picture and say - in retrospect - this was lamb. But only with a menu can you say that was lamb with A/B/C/D. Robyn

Edited by robyn (log)

edit for typooos

Hi Darcie - I live in a somewhat "food-challenged" area too (although perhaps not as bad as West Virginia <g,d&r>). But when I do get to nice restaurants - whether local or out of town - I don't want them to be the food equivalent of Disneyworld - with a "Kodak moment" every few paces. Luckily - I have never had a problem with food photographers. I've never even seen one. Perhaps there are very few people who take pictures - or they just don't go when or where I go. Whatever - I'll take it. First time I find myself at a restaurant where I am spending a fair amount of money for a meal and there is a photo-maniac next to me - I am either moving tables - or out of the restaurant.

FWIW - I find that an excellent way to remember meals is to get copies of menus - particularly when you're dealing with complicated presentations. You might take a picture and say - in retrospect - this was lamb. But only with a menu can you say that was lamb with A/B/C/D. Robyn

Gee, Robyn, if you have never even seen a food photographer at any restaurant that you have been to, what makes you think that this is such a big issue? I would bet that the reason you haven't seen any is not that they haven't been there, but rather, that they have been relatively inconspicuous and simply not noticed by you.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Hi Darcie - I live in a somewhat "food-challenged" area too (although perhaps not as bad as West Virginia <g,d&r>).  But when I do get to nice restaurants - whether local or out of town - I don't want them to be the food equivalent of Disneyworld - with a "Kodak moment" every few paces. 

Thanks for the idea of getting a menu. However, sometimes I want to remember the presentation, not just the description. FWIW I don't find that taking a few seconds for a photo before I dig in to a meal makes it the "food equivalent of Disneyworld."

I don't think I have bothered anyone with my photography. And now I have many nice memories.

Had lunch this week at our favorite Michelin starred restaurant. Excellent as always contrary to some views.

Not a food photographer in sight - with one exception!

This was the 65 year old son of the 90 year old lady who was celebrating her birthday. He did get up & take a picture of her with the special cake (one candle) that the restaurant had prepared.

Contrary to not looking at your fellow diners in this case the whole restaurant applauded. Much to the pleased embarrassment of Madame I might add.

By the way; talk about value. We had the three course set menu at 27 Euros. Delicious and worth every penny, but they also served us both of the amuses, a free cheese course, the pre-dessert dessert and the after dessert dessert. The dessert itself was the best 'fruit salad' I've ever tasted.

This thread is starting to remind me of a cliche about never wrestling a pig in the mud.   :wink:

Indeed. It's also starting to remind me of the "Laptops in Bars" thread, except that Fat Guy and I are thankfully on the same side of this one.

Things have drifted pretty far from the original complaint, which I found strangely cranky and misplaced (dissing amateur food photography and food writing on a site full of people who do both). Now we're almost into a "restaurant behavior" thread (children, laptops, cellphones, entitlement, etc.)...but I'm still interested in the motivation for the original post.

Was it the obtrusiveness of food photographers that prompted it? It seems not. Was it a general dismay over the fact that people in restaurants aren't always properly appreciating the food? As mentioned upthread, this is not new. Is it an anti-technology-enablement thing? I'm just asking...

+++

Edited by markemorse (log)

This thread is starting to remind me of a cliche about never wrestling a pig in the mud.   :wink:

Was it the obtrusiveness of food photographers that prompted it? It seems not. Was it a general dismay over the fact that people in restaurants aren't always properly appreciating the food? As mentioned upthread, this is not new. Is it an anti-technology-enablement thing? I'm just asking...

+++

Robyn who started the thread can I'm sure answer for herself.

For me its the snapping of food pictures in restaurants that annoys me. Think I've made that very clear.

Its intrusive, gauche and rude so far as I'm concerned.

Other food photography is fine with me; click and post to your hearts content on your blog or on the Dinner thread or elsewhere when you can take the pictures in private.. I enjoy seeing those pictures.

Clear enough?

+++

Robyn who started the thread can I'm sure answer for herself.

For me its the snapping of food pictures in restaurants that annoys me. Think I've made that very clear.

Its intrusive, gauche and rude so far as I'm concerned.

Other food photography is fine with me; click and post to your hearts content on your blog or on the Dinner thread or elsewhere when you can take the pictures in private.. I enjoy seeing those pictures.

Clear enough?

As a bell, Dave...as a bell. But I was really talking about the original post.

Edited by markemorse (log)

Gee, Robyn, if you have never even seen a food photographer at any restaurant that you have been to, what makes you think that this is such a big issue? I would bet that the reason you haven't seen any is not that they haven't been there, but rather, that they have been relatively inconspicuous and simply not noticed by you.

I answered this way up near the beginning of this thread as follows:

"To answer a question that might be asked - if I have never been affected by photography in restaurants - why did I start this thread? Simple. I thought that the Chef's phrase was really catchy. Made me smile."

I thought it was an interesting issue - and I guess it is - judging from the messages that have been posted. Since I have never run across a single food photographer in a high end restaurant anywhere (except for the occasional birthday/anniversary picture) - I assume my luck will hold out in Paris this fall. Robyn