• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need help opening screwcap bottles!

phlox

Now that I have finally mastered opening wine with a regular cork, screwcaps are becoming really popular, and I suck at them! A couple of days ago at work I tore a large chunk of skin off my middle finger and still couldn't get the blasted thing open. I don't know why I have so many issues opening wine in front of people.

I know you're supposed to twist the bottom, not the cap, etc., but none of the advice I've gotten so far has helped. What can I do? Is there some kind of small rubber thingie I could carry with me so I could get more of a grip? Help!

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."

Grasp the entire foil and the cap. Twist it until you hear the seal break. Gently flip off the top with your thumb. You should never get near the jagged edge that way.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Those silicone pot holders are really good for gripping jar lids and such.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Hmm, I wonder if I could cut one of those into a small square and use it at work...

Or I could just start pushing cocktails and call it a day!

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."

There are products, intended for those with arthritis and the like, to assist in opening screw caps:

DYCEM BOTTLE OPENER

CAP TURNER

We have a combo tool that the wife uses. It has a cap turner on one end and a slot for lifting can tabs on the other. It has a magnet and stays on the fridge. My young daughter uses it all the time. It is from Pampered Chef.

Similar to this one:

KUHN RIKON PARROT 4-IN-1 OPENER

We also keep a couple of square silicone sheets intended for aiding in removing lids. Your idea of snipping off a square of one of those is a nice idea. It would be small, portable, inconpicuous, and undoubtedly effective.

Hmm, I wonder if I could cut one of those into a small square and use it at work...

Or I could just start pushing cocktails and call it a day!

I know it might look kind of tacky, but I've been using those little jar opening thingys....the ones you can get almost anywhere (like a grocery store) that are made (I think) from silicone). They're thin; you could cut them into a smaller size so they wouldn't be obtrustive and they do the job and prevent you from cutting yourself.

And, as tacky as I'm saying they may look, they certainly beat the flat pieces of latex that we used as tourniquets at the hospital to open jars and extract stubborn corks with :cool: .

The very best thingy for opening those perforated bottle caps, is a small square or rectangle, that you cut yourself from a roll of the waffle-pattern, thick, shelf and drawer liner. This stuff has dozens and dozens of uses. A piece that lines the bottom of a tray keeps everything in its place, keeps boxes from sliding around on the floor of my van, keeps me from sliding off the top of a slippery bar stool (I have some with stainless steel tops which are very slippery) and various sizes that can be tucked in a pocket for opening things or holding slippery bottles and jars.

When I am going to be opening multiple bottles of wine and/or soda and other things, I tuck a small strip 1 1/2 inches by about three inches under my watch band, so it is handy.

It's this stuff shown here in white but I buy it at Wal-Mart, Costco or Sam's club and other stores. It comes in many colors from white to dark green or dark blue, pastels, ivory, and a sort of olive drab.

I throw it in the washing machine with my towels and hang it on the deck rails to dry when it begins to look a bit grungy. Especially the stuff I use in my van.

I put a layer between things that get stacked, such as Cambro containers and coolers and they stay in place better than when just bungie-corded.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My kitchen shears have a little metal grippy area (that's the technical term :wink:) between the handles that works great for this. They are the el-cheapo Chicago Cutlery variety, probably cost about five bucks.

I have several pairs of the kitchen scissors but arthritis in my right hand limits my ability to grip the handles tight enough.

If a cap is really resistant to opening, I use an old-fashioned metal nut cracker, which is used for nothing else except stuck caps - it's the only way I can get the little cap off one of my "bitters" bottles. It always seems to be glued onto the bottle.

gallery_17399_60_33462.jpg

They also fit into a pocket without doing damage to clothes or any part of the anatomy! :rolleyes:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My kitchen shears have a little metal grippy area (that's the technical term :wink:) between the handles that works great for this. They are the el-cheapo Chicago Cutlery variety, probably cost about five bucks.

I have several pairs of the kitchen scissors but arthritis in my right hand limits my ability to grip the handles tight enough.

If a cap is really resistant to opening, I use an old-fashioned metal nut cracker, which is used for nothing else except stuck caps - it's the only way I can get the little cap off one of my "bitters" bottles. It always seems to be glued onto the bottle.

gallery_17399_60_33462.jpg

They also fit into a pocket without doing damage to clothes or any part of the anatomy! :rolleyes:

I thought your idea of the drawer/shelf liner was stellar :biggrin: ! I just unearthed a few sheets the other day in fact, out of some boxes I have still unpacked in our garage while I was looking for my veggie grill bowl and it occurred to me how wonderful it is! Now, I am not annoyed every time I open the silverware drawer and have to yank the organizer back toward the front of the drawer in order to extract a spoon :smile: , and all my bottle stoppers/wine openers etc are not rolling around in another drawer. Amazing how such simple things can improve one's life :cool: .

Thanks for a new use for it!