• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Napa Dining

Jean Blanchard

Thanks!

I forgot about Auberge du Soleil. I had the best manila clams there, plus amazing view and great drinks. Not sure how I forgot, its a great place.

Tra Vigne. I stopped in there on my first night in St. Helena. I got there about 8:30PM. I was met by a very attractive hostess, who informed me that they stopped serving food at 9PM, and I was welcome to sit at the bar if I liked. I ordered a beer at the bar and asked to see a menu. While I was waiting for my beer and browsing the menu, I noticed a group of 40-something "locals" came in and sat at the other end of the bar. Well dressed, and obviously knew the bartender. After I decided on a couple appetizers, I closed my menu and waited for a bit while enjoying the beautiful decor and atmosphere. I tried to get the attention of the barkeep a few times, but he was engrossed in conversation with his friends.

By the time the barkeep came back over to me, it was about 8:50. I proceeded to place my order for food, and was promptly told that the kitchen was closed for the evening.

I finished my drink, paid, tipped, and left. The hostess was the only one who wished me a nice evening on my way out.

Granted, all places have their "nights", but this wasn't a great welcome to the area on my first night. However I give every place three strikes, and have heard very good things. Since Tra Vigne is close to where I will be staying, I will visit again on my next trip.