• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food outside of Vancouver

C Simril

We're going to Salmon Arm (great name doesnt necessarily mean great food), Prince George, Burns Lake and Terrace in a couple of weeks. Has anyone ever had anything good to eat in a restaurant in any of these hamlets?

We're going to Salmon Arm (great name doesnt necessarily mean great food), Prince George, Burns Lake and Terrace in a couple of weeks. Has anyone ever had anything good to eat in a restaurant in any of these hamlets?

I haven't gone to any of these places myself, but ... why don't you try reposting your question, this time mentioning those four placenames explicitly in your header? (When I first read the topic header, I thought you were asking about what's available in the lower mainland immediately outside Vancouver.)

Getting back to the original question, but limited geographically to the "interior" as we call it.....

Got me!

But I'm keen on hearing about it! I've spent some very formative months in outside of the Lower Mainland, and I do have found memories of Ukranian food, Western/Chinese truck stops, and steaks I could barely choke down.

But that was back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth (or at least the Bennett family).

Tell us more!

I think Moreno Miotto has a restaurant in PG...if it's still there:

Da Moreno

1493 3rd Ave

Prince George, BC

(250) 564-7922

I don't know Salmon Arm...

Burns Lake might have an okay sandwich place and a coffee bar...but strictly truck stop territory.

Terrace should have something...they have a reasonable selection of ethics, but I don't kno w any of them.

You have to pass through Smithers, which has a couple of good places, and a good farmer's market. I can recommend the Alpenhorn in Smithers for drinks and bar food.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I think Moreno Miotto has a restaurant in PG...if it's still there:

Da Moreno

1493 3rd Ave

Prince George, BC

(250) 564-7922 

I've looked into this place and it seems to now be called North 54.

http://chefmoz.org/Canada/BC/Prince_George...1103626267.html

My favourite restaurant in Vancouver is Cioppino's, and where I live in North Van, Gusto i Quatro, so the idea of upscale Italian in the interior seems well worth the drive.

Recently I ate in Bellingham for the first time. We had time to kill before and appointment in the federal building and found quite an elaborate Italian place around the corner. Chef from Sicily, his Sicilian version of lobster bisque was better than any French version I've ever tasted of a favourite soup, so I'm prepared to find good food almost anywhere.

While driving to Calgary in 1992, we discovered a truckstop in Revelstoke that had such a good omlette (hollandaise, sharp cheddar, back bacon) that we still refer to that omlette as a Revelstoke Omlette.

You have to pass through Smithers, which has a couple of good places, and a good farmer's market.  I can recommend the Alpenhorn in Smithers for drinks and bar food.

I'll check it out. Heard good things about Smithers but only been to its airport before.