• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Spicy' food within 25 mins drive of Hoboken

jb_973

Hi,

I'm meeting up tomorrow evening with an old colleague of mine from dinner. He lives down in Maryland, but is staying in Hoboken.

Rather than dine in Hoboken, I've decided to pick him up in the car and drive to somewhere to eat. The only request I have from him is for good 'spicy' food - and my only requirement is good, safe parking.

Any suggestions?

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Thai, Korean, or Malaysian, but I am open to other suggestions.

Thanks!

Jason

Though I haven't been there in a while, I think the perfect choice is Wondee (Thai) in Hackensack. And, they have an especially good understanding of "spicy" in the 'hot' sense.

Good choice avoiding Hoboken - you won't get anything remotely spicy there, just things with sugary gloop all over them masquerading as some kind of "Asian" food.

Edited by markk (log)

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Though I haven't been there in a while, I think the perfect choice is Wondee (Thai) in Hackensack.  And, they have an especially good understanding of "spicy" in the 'hot' sense.

Good choice avoiding Hoboken - you won't get anything remotely spicy there, just things with sugary gloop all over them masquerading as some kind of "Asian" food.

I suppose that depends what kind of spicy you're going for. At Cucharamama, you can get some pretty sublime spicy stuff, but it's decidedly non-Asian.

Christopher

Hey ejebud,

You know, I was just thinking last night about taking him to Chengdu 1. It's actually much closer to my 'neck of the woods' (I live in West Orange) - but I concur that the food is great!

Definitely on the list of options...

... and just to follow up - decided to go Chengdu 1. That place just turns out consistently good food - we had the Spicy Wontons as an appetizer, then the Spicy Lamb, Smoked Tea Duck and Potatoes with Peppers as the entrees.

Great stuff!

... and just to follow up - decided to go Chengdu 1.  That place just turns out consistently good food - we had the Spicy Wontons as an appetizer, then the Spicy Lamb, Smoked Tea Duck and Potatoes with Peppers as the entrees.

Great stuff!

It's nice to see that you took ALL of my menu suggestions last night---YEP that was me eavesdropping on your menu choises last night!!

I am just cracking up over this...BTW I'm going back again tonight..my kids just got home frm camp and that is their go to place.. FUNNy FUNNY SMALL WORLD we live in.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

It's nice to see that you took ALL of my menu suggestions last night---YEP that was me eavesdropping on your menu choises last night!!

I am just cracking up over this...BTW I'm going back again tonight..my kids just got home frm camp and that is their go to place..  FUNNy FUNNY SMALL WORLD we live in.

That is funny - nice to meet you too! Yes, a very small world!

Food choices were great - the sauce accompanying those wontons was delicious - in fact, I should have got the waitress to just leave it there when the entrees came out.

I have been to Chengdu 1 about four or five times up until now with my wife, but I'm looking to try out some more dishes. I will have to switch over to the Chengdu 1 thread and take a look at some other suggestions!

Thanks again,

Jason

I am just cracking up over this...BTW I'm going back again tonight..my kids just got home frm camp and that is their go to place..  FUNNy FUNNY SMALL WORLD we live in.

Food choices were great - the sauce accompanying those wontons was delicious - in fact, I should have got the waitress to just leave it there when the entrees came out.

I have been to Chengdu 1 about four or five times up until now with my wife, but I'm looking to try out some more dishes. I will have to switch over to the Chengdu 1 thread and take a look at some other suggestions!

Thanks again,

Jason

Well, the thing to do is go in a group of 6 or 8 people(we do this pretty often with other EG'rs.) We order MANY dishes and never pay more than 30 bux a head. Next outing expect an invitation. In fact email me when your in the mood to go again, who knows, it may spark an impromptu calling out of "the troops"

ejebud@verizon.net

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Thanks again,

Jason

Well, the thing to do is go in a group of 6 or 8 people(we do this pretty often with other EG'rs.) We order MANY dishes and never pay more than 30 bux a head. Next outing expect an invitation. In fact email me when your in the mood to go again, who knows, it may spark an impromptu calling out of "the troops"

ejebud@verizon.net

Eric

You know for a fact if I'm not working Vicky and I are in!!!!!

I want food and I want it now

I lOVE Wondee's but it is a bit of a drive from Hoboken. If you like spicy Thai food, I highly recommend Brookside Thai. While not quite as good as Wondees, it is an easier drive from Hoboken. (rt 3 to GSP South, to exit 151, left at light to left on Broad street)......If you order ANY dish Thai spicy, I promise you it will be served spicy. From the crispy duck salad to the spicy noodle/curry dishes: everything is well prepared at a reasonable cost. (380 Broad Street Bloomfield, NJ 07003 973-566-0057)

I LOVE Chengdu 1 as well, but sometimes you may just be in the mood for Thai. Plus it is 10-15 minutes closer from Hoboken.

-Al