• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for spaghetti and meatballs in Chicago

aughmag

Hello there! I've got my mom and her husband blowing into town for the weekend. She likes anything with lots of garlic and she likes her meat very, very (I mean very) well done. Her husband likes spaghetti and meatballs. I'd like to take them somewhere that has a homey or old-school atmosphere that has food that wouldn't be described as "subtle" or "sophisticated'. Any suggestions? Thanks!

It almost hurts to say it, but Buca di Beppo (River North, Lombard, Wheeling, Orland Park) is certainly not subtle. I suppose you could ask most any accomodating restaurant could be persuaded to burn the shit out of some meat, too. Buca (as I recall) doesn't go overboard with garlic but has huge servings and a fun (almost campy) casual vibe. Better Italian food (including spagheti & meatballs) in a homey, old-school neighborhood-feeling environment can be found at La Scarola on Grand near Halsted. Very good food in a genuinely Italian-family kind of environment.

Hah! Yes indeed. It's painful when she orders the filet "extra well done" and 9 times out of 10 sends it back. Of course I'm not seeking out a restaurant that readily chars meat, just looking for a place that won't collectively gasp when she puts in her request. We won't take her to Trotters. I'll check out Scarola. Thanks for the suggestion!

It almost hurts to say it, but Buca di Beppo (River North, Lombard, Wheeling, Orland Park) is certainly not subtle.  I suppose you could ask most any accomodating restaurant could be persuaded to burn the shit out of some meat, too.  Buca (as I recall) doesn't go overboard with garlic but has huge servings and a fun (almost campy) casual vibe.  Better Italian food (including spagheti & meatballs) in a homey, old-school neighborhood-feeling environment can be found at La Scarola on Grand near Halsted.  Very good food in a genuinely Italian-family kind of environment.

Fr old timey, spaghetti and meatballs, and not a chain like Bucca, would be Sabatino's. Feels like the 1950s, with flaming desserts and roving musicians.

Sabatino's

4441 W. Irving Park Rd.

Chicago

(773) 283-8331

Fr old timey, spaghetti and meatballs, and not a chain like Bucca, would be Sabatino's. Feels like the 1950s, with flaming desserts and roving musicians.

Sabatino's

4441 W. Irving Park Rd.

Chicago

(773) 283-8331

That's what I immediately thought of, too. Very old school.

Sabatino's

4441 W. Irving Park Rd.

Chicago

(773) 283-8331

Ha! I also thought of La Scarola and Sabitino's. Also, Maggiano's is an option. Yes, it is a chain, but they can accommodate everyone's requests.

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

Thanks for all the replies! Looks like it's between La Scarola and Sabatino's. Anyone have strong opinions to tip the scales one way or the other?

Sabatino's

4441 W. Irving Park Rd.

Chicago

(773) 283-8331

Ha! I also thought of La Scarola and Sabitino's. Also, Maggiano's is an option. Yes, it is a chain, but they can accommodate everyone's requests.