• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

scott123

scott123

31 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

What I'm getting at is, if people in an area love the pizza from the local "Neapolitan Style Pizza" place, most of them aren't going to care if it's 100% authentic or not. No matter how much you or me or anybody else tells them they should care. They're going to eat it, they're going to post a picture on facebook captioned "loving the Neapolitan pie" or something similar... and they're not going to care if nobody in Naples would recognize it as what they call pizza. And there's no realistic effective way to prevent that sort of thing from going on. But I'm not trying to convince you not to soldier on... we're just discussing the topic here, not trying to convince you you're wrong.

Well, first of all, I've never come across a Neapolitan pizzeria who wasn't approaching the pizza authentically.  As I said before, if you mess with the recipe, it fails- miserably.  Aspiring owners tend to be smart enough not to mess with perfection.  So this imaginary pizzeria we're discussing doesn't exist.  But I understand the possibility for adulteration on a commercial level.

This isn't about what people like or don't like.  You're not going to find me standing outside that Vermont pizzerias waving a placard :) My beef is with the authors.  The Reinharts, the Modernists, the Kenji's, and the Forkishes who are perpetuating the misinformation.  If you write a book or a blog, you should be doing your homework.  As an educator, you should start from a position of being educated.

My beef is also with forums like this one who should be holding these educators to task, but who aren't.

scott123

scott123

24 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

What I'm getting at is, if people in an area love the pizza from the local "Neapolitan Style Pizza" place, most of them aren't going to care if it's 100% authentic or not. No matter how much you or me or anybody else tells them they should care. They're going to eat it, they're going to post a picture on facebook captioned "loving the Neapolitan pie" or something similar... and they're not going to care if nobody in Naples would recognize it as what they call pizza. And there's no realistic effective way to prevent that sort of thing from going on. But I'm not trying to convince you not to soldier on... we're just discussing the topic here, not trying to convince you you're wrong.

Well, first of all, I've never come across a Neapolitan pizzeria who wasn't approaching the pizza authentically.  As I said before, if you mess with the recipe, it fails- miserably.  Aspiring owners tend to be smart enough not to mess with perfection.  So this imaginary pizzeria we're discussing doesn't exist.  But I understand the possibility for adulteration on a commercial level.

This isn't about what people like or don't like.  You're not going to find me standing outside that Vermont pizzerias waving a placard :) My beef is with the authors.  The Reinharts, the Modernists, the Kenji's, the Forkishes who are perpetuating the misinformation.  If you write a book or a blog, you should be doing your homework.  As an educator, you should start from a position of being educated.

My beef is also with forums like this one who should be holding these educators to task, but who aren't.

scott123

scott123

4 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

This isn't about what people like or don't like.  You're not going to find me standing outside that Vermont pizzerias waving a placard :)  My beef is with the authors.  The Reinharts, the Modernists, the Kenji's, the Forkishes perpetuating the misinformation.  If you write a book or a blog, you should be doing your homework.  As an educator, you should start from a position of being educated.