• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Molds for full-sized cherry bonbons

David J.

I'm looking for a mold large enough for a full sized cherry (after casting the shell) without being too much larger.

I have a coworker who asked if I could duplicate his favorite "Asbach Chocolate Covered Brandied Cherries" as he couldn't find anyone who would ship to him. From what I can tell they are liqueur filled with brandied cherries in a molded dark chocolate bon-bon. The most interesting point is they claim not to have a sugar crust which makes me wonder how they close it off for bottoming.

I've had two canning jars of cherries in the fridge for several weeks now. One with straight brandy, the other with a fancier mix with sugar, lemon juice cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla in addition to the brandy.

I'm looking for a mold large enough for a full sized cherry (after casting the shell) without being too much larger. 

I have a coworker who asked if I could duplicate his favorite "Asbach Chocolate Covered Brandied Cherries" as he couldn't find anyone who would ship to him.  From what I can tell they are liqueur filled with brandied cherries in a molded dark chocolate bon-bon.  The most interesting point is they claim not to have a sugar crust which makes me wonder how they close it off for bottoming.

I've had two canning jars of cherries in the fridge for several weeks now.  One with straight brandy, the other with a fancier mix with sugar, lemon juice cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla in addition to the brandy.

Would this work?

http://www.jbprince.com/chocolate-and-suga...28-cavities.asp

30mm around 25mm deep.

No Sugar crust or no cocoa butter crust? Wasn't there that thread sometime ago about bottoming with cocoa butter for this type of thing? I can't remember exactly.

Edited by ejw50 (log)

Would this work?

http://www.jbprince.com/chocolate-and-suga...28-cavities.asp

30mm around 25mm deep.

No Sugar crust or no cocoa butter crust?  Wasn't there that thread sometime ago about bottoming with cocoa butter for this type of thing?  I can't remember exactly.

25mm is almost an inch (0.984"), and I think that is going to be too shallow when you subtract the thickness of the shell and bottom. I once measured (and subsequently lost) one of the popular brands of chocolate covered cherries and it was somewhere around 1.25" in diameter and about as tall. Does anyone have a mold they've done this with?

I should have rememberd the thread about bottoming with sprayed on cocoa butter since I was in it. Thanks for the reference.

David I make cherry bon bons with this moldart mould:

dome mould

I am using a dried sour cherry that has been rehydrated in cherry vodka and even the quite large cherries fit with enough space to cap off with a reasonbly thick base. That said your cherries may be quite a bit bigger than the ones I use but I like this mould a lot and I often wrap the finished chocolates in red foil. I fill the cavity with a thinned fondant using the cherry vodka to dilute it. So this is thicker than a liqueur chocolate but still quite alcoholic.

Hope that is of help

Can you just buy smaller cherries? I can buy them in small, medium or large sizes. I prefer medium for hand dipping, and haven't tried molding them yet.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

David,

I buy my cherries in July at the Farmers markets. Then I put them in an alchohol...vodka, brandy etc.. In December I make a hard fondant. I heat the fondant and then I dip the cherry in the fondant. I let the white coated cherry cool down, and then I dip or mold in chocolate. In 3- 4 days they become quite liquid inside. No sugar crust. Is that what you are trying to achieve?

David,

I buy my cherries in July at the Farmers markets. Then I put them in an alchohol...vodka, brandy etc..  In December I make a hard fondant.  I heat the fondant and then I dip the cherry in the fondant.  I let the white coated cherry cool down, and then I dip or mold in chocolate.  In 3- 4 days they become quite liquid inside.  No sugar crust.  Is that what you are trying to achieve?

I've done the fondant to liquid sugar thing before, but that's not what he was asking for. It's more of a brandy soaked cherry inside a liqueur filled shell. The sort of liqueur filled chocolate that is typically found with a sugar crust. I'm going to try spraying a light coat of cocoa butter to back them off so I don't have to adulterate the brandy with a lot of sugar. The main trick for me will be choosing the right mold. I just measured (and ate) one cherry and found that it is roughly 20x25mm. It looks to be a standard size to me. I dropped it in a cherry mold that is roughly 25x25mm and while it fit without a chocolate shell, it won't with one.

This is the one I have that is labeled 'very deep cherry mold'.  It's a huge sucker - but holds a whole cherry - and then some.

Thanks Kerry! That looks like it will do the job. I'll have to find new boxes for it, but I won't have to worry about the cherry sticking up out of the mold when I try to bottom it.

Can you just buy smaller cherries?  I can buy them in small, medium or large sizes.  I prefer medium for hand dipping, and haven't tried molding them yet.

The picture in Greweling on P242 looks like it uses the jbprince (standard sized 25mm-deep, same deepness as lapin dor's) mold. I could be wrong though. His cherries look smaller.

Edited by ejw50 (log)

• 3 weeks later...