• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Desire to Order Red Guide-Listed Dishes?

cabrales

A recent thread on signature dishes led me to wonder whether members are more inclined to order a dish at a restaurant if such dish is listed in the Michelin guide. :blink: Do members review the guide's list of 2-3 dishes for each starred restaurant before visiting it? If so, how much does inclusion on the list sway members to order the dish? Does it depend on whether members otherwise recognize the listed dish as a signature dish?

Note that, not all signature dishes are listed in the guide, and presumably vice versa (?). For example, my 2001 guide lists the vanilla lobster, steamed foie gras with cabbage and canard apicius dishes (which are also the major signature dishes) in the case of Lucas-Carton. :laugh:

I look at which dishes are recommended by the Red Guide, and tend to order them. :wink:

i usually forget that they do list dishes in the guide and then when i discover them, find it really annoying if i've missed the signature dish after the meal!

if i'm aware of them i'd try them :biggrin:

(ps cabrales, i keep forgetting barrier menu will write it up eventually!)

gary

you don't win friends with salad

i usually forget that they do list dishes in the guide and then when i discover them, find it really annoying if i've missed the signature dish after the meal!

I often want to kick myself for forgetting to look at the listing in the guide before I enter the restaurant. The wines listed in the Michelin are also a good place to start if you're looking for local wines and good value. It's my understanding that the restaurants in question supply that list of dishes and wines, so this is their own list of what they feature or feel they are, or should be, famous for serving.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

It's my understanding that the restaurants in question supply that list of dishes and wines, so this is their own list of what they feature or feel they are, or should be, famous for serving.

Bux -- That's an interestnig point. That suggests the Red Guide's relinquishment of some control over its contents, in a way that seems unusual for Michelin. I wonder about the scenario in which a restaurant submitted a dish that inspectors had deemed to be mediocre in their reports -- what would happen then? :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

"Relinquishment," may be deceiving if it implies giving up a control they once had. I suspect those dishes were always listed at the restaurant's choice. I assume the local wines listed are also named by the restaurant. I don't see a problem with two or three star restaurants listing any dish it wants to list. I don't think there should be a mediocre dish on the menu. As for one star restaurants, they are often rather mediocre unless they are in an area known for great food. One star only means that it's better than whatever else is around. In any event Michelin has limited itself to the form it's taken over the years and I suspect a restaurant knows what it does best and for what dishes their is a great demand.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.