• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Acetate and Chocolate

Truc

Hi everyone, I was trying to make some chocolate plaques/cut outs from tempered chocolate and acetate to get t hat really shiny underside. However when it came out, it was only bits and pieces that were shiny and the rest dull. Could it be my temper? it came off the acetate easily enough. OR could it be the acetate? I was using and overhead projector type acetate and also the acetate you use to line cake rings, both with the same result.

Sounds like it was your temper. Be sure that you stir well, without incorporating bubbles if possible, so that you evenly distribute the beta crystals.

Could also be the temperature of your room. If it takes too long to set, the chocolate can actually go out of temper.

Unless your overhead projector acetate is marked "food safe" you should NOT use it for anything that will be eaten.

(This goes for "cosmetic grade" cocoa butter, too. :huh: )

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”