• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

s.n.c. -- does it still exist in France

Fat Guy

I think I recall, in the 1990s, encountering menus in France, especially in the Jura region, that had "service non compris" or "s.n.c" written on their menus. Does this practice still exist, or are all restaurants in France now s.c.?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I think I recall, in the 1990s, encountering menus in France, especially in the Jura region, that had "service non compris" or "s.n.c" written on their menus. Does this practice still exist, or are all restaurants in France now s.c.?

Wow, Steven, that is a great question. I cannot recall myself seeing it since the 1950's.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Nowadays most restaurants in France are S.C.However there is a voluntary tipping

practice that entails leaving behind small amount preferably in cash (about 2 to 5%) for excellent service.Thus there is no obligation to leave anything if service is just OK..

All the English-language guidebooks I've seen still say there's such a thing as s.n.c. in France but who knows if they're all just repeating one another. I'd be interested in specific examples of restaurants still engaging in the practice, if they really exist. I'm also wondering if there was a legislative change or anything like that, perhaps around the time of the adoption of the Euro.

The Rough Guide to the Dordogne & the Lot (2004): "Very occasionally you'll see service non compris (snc) or servis en sus, which means that it's up to you . . ."

The Rough Guide to the Pyrenees (2004): "Service non compris, snc or servis en sus means that it isn't and you need to allow for an additional fifteen percent."

Rick Steves' France (2007): "In the rare case where service is not included (the menu would state service non compris or snc), a 15 percent tip is appropriate."

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

There seems to be a confusion between displayed service charge and undisplayed service charge, and the guidebooks seem a bit confused about that too. So far the 15% included service charge has been mandatory throughout the French territory, no exceptions. Not including the service charge is illegal. Perhaps, in some remote places, prices may sometimes be displayed without the service charge (I haven't seen that since the 80s), but the service charge should then be added to your check by the management. You are never supposed to add the service charge yourself in France, that would not be legal. And in the unlikely case that the owner of the restaurant should not follow the law, there would be no reason for you to compensate.

That was my understanding as well: that the only difference between sc and snc was whether the service was included in the menu prices or added to the total at the end. But the underlying question remains: are there actually still any snc restaurants in France?

That was my understanding as well: that the only difference between sc and snc was whether the service was included in the menu prices or added to the total at the end. But the underlying question remains: are there actually still any snc restaurants in France?

Anything is possible. I remember being given prices in old francs over ten years after that change.

I haven't seen a s.n.c. menu in the last 15 years. As Pti says its illegal.

I think the guide books are just well behind the times and in some cases guilty of sloppy editing.

There are of course restaurateurs who will deliberately make the situation as fuzzy as possible when they have a fair number of tourists as customers in the hope that an American or British sized tip will be forthcoming. You meet these types all over this globe.

Don't pay a tip in France in a restaurant except for truly outstanding service is my motto.

I think the guide books are just well behind the times and in some cases guilty of sloppy editing.

My experience of those guides is that they may not be entirely updated, even if the editors send writers abroad to travel around and update the guidebooks every year, the job is seldom done thoroughly. People travelling with the latest edition of the Guide du Routard in their hands have often noticed that some restaurant or hotel information had not been updated for four or five years.

Don't pay a tip in France in a restaurant except for truly outstanding service is my motto.

And a wise one. Especially since the Euro has caused most prices to rise insanely, tips are even less expected than they used to. For instance, cab drivers in Paris no longer expect it. A quick conversion of Euros into former Francs in your mind and you understand why.