• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Polish Sausage

I'm originally from Chicago, living in New Orleans for the time being. A coworker, also originally from Illinois, asked me to pick her up some Polish Sausage on my upcoming trip home. I'll be based in the south suburbs, but I should be in the city a fair amount, and I'm willing to travel wherever.

So where can I find the absolute best -bar none- Polish Sausage?

I really love Usinger's. It has the best snap. I believe you can get it in lots of grocery stores in the greater-Chicago area. It's a Milwaukee brand, but you don't have to tell your co-worker that! :biggrin:

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I've had amazing Polish sausage made by people who live in Chicago (the Kendziorskis) but the best ever was from Glace Bay, Nova Scotia made by 5th generation Canadians of Polish descent. They freely admit the best is still from the old country.

What's you travel budget Mike? :biggrin:

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Here are a two of my favorite sausage shops:

Kurowski's Sausage Shop

2976 N Milwaukee Ave

(between Central Park Ave & Monticello Ave)

Chicago, IL 60618

Forest View Deli

6452 N Milwaukee Avenue

Chicago, IL 60631

(773) 775-3088

Go to either one, and you will get a great kielbasa. If you don't speak Polish, be prepared to point and smile. Ask your friend how much garlic she wants-- we like the very garlicy Kielbasa Weselna (Wedding sausage). You might want to bring some sealable bags-- these sausages are quite fragrant.

Forest View is just a little ways up Milwaukee from Superdawg, so it is a good destination. If you end up at Kurowski's, check out the selection of Polish chocolates. Also a bit north on Milwaukee Ave is the Red Apple (the name is in Polish, but look for the gigantic apple on the sign), which is a good cheap Polish buffet.

Cheers, Jen

Without a doubt Bobak's on the south side http://www.bobak.com/ . Real Polish and real Polak's, take it from me a Polak!

How are you returning home? If flying you will never make on the plane as the garlic will give you away. If driving, even in a cooler the car will soon smell of garlic. I drive down from Wisconsin and fill up a cooler and the drive home is heavenly!-Dick