• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

M & M Premiums

Toliver

Has anyone tried these yet?

"Chocolate lovers listen up. Premium M&M'S are on their way"

If you click on the picture of the candy accompanying the article, you can get a better view of them. What looks like foil wrapped candy isn't. That shiny coating is edible.

From the short article:

The candies, which sport mottled metallic-like shells, come in five varieties – chocolate almond, mint chocolate, mocha, raspberry almond and triple chocolate.

If you Google the candy, early reviewers have mixed reactions. It's odd that a Google search doesn't even bring up the M & M web site on the first search results page.

It's also odd that such a new product isn''t being positioned front and center on the M & M website. I eventually found their product description page here.

It's also odd that they don't sell a box with all of the flavors (so you can try them all by buying just one box).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Saw them first at a local drugstore, and I did think they were individually wrapped. Saw them again yesterday at Target...they don't seem to be selling well. I agree that they aren't doing a great job of marketing them. Should be in the "close out" stores (Odd Lots) soon.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I've tried the mint and the raspberry almond. The mint was quite nice, but the raspberry was filled with fake raspberry flavoring <ick>. The dark chocolate in all M&M's brings up a problem with me - I have always thought that dark chocolate melts more slowly than milk chocolate. That's fine with a piece of chocolate - you just let it melt in your mouth - nothing wrong with that. But when something has that hard shell coating, it's awkward - you chew a little then you have shards of coating and chocolate both in your mouth to let melt. I know I'm making chocolate eating more complicated that it needs to be. And then you add the further complication of an almond :wacko: and it just doesn't work for me :biggrin: ! I'll just stick with the milk chocolate M&M's!

I've only had the raspberry kind. 

Yuck

Yuck

Yuck

They leave an awful aftertaste.

Kim and Shelby, thanks for taking one for the team, so to speak. :laugh:

I'm not a fan of raspberry and chocolate and would have passed that flavor up anyway.

It's interesting that they're trying to launch a premium line during a US economic slump. I'm sure someone in the Promotions Department is kicking themselves over the bad timing.

I still haven't spotted them on store shelves, yet. I guess I'll have to expand my shopping territory.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I've only had the raspberry kind. 

Yuck

Yuck

Yuck

They leave an awful aftertaste.

Kim and Shelby, thanks for taking one for the team, so to speak. :laugh:

I'm not a fan of raspberry and chocolate and would have passed that flavor up anyway.

It's interesting that they're trying to launch a premium line during a US economic slump. I'm sure someone in the Promotions Department is kicking themselves over the bad timing.

I still haven't spotted them on store shelves, yet. I guess I'll have to expand my shopping territory.

I found mine in the Wal-Mart candy isle.

Sort of ironic if you think about it :laugh:

trying to launch a premium line during a US economic slump.

Luxury - the economic class that is recession proof - haven't you heard? M&M's, err, maybe not.

What is interesting is that chocolate sales have historically not been effected economic downturns. Alcohol as well.

Drown your sorrows, I suppose.

I tried the mint. Not so nice. Won't buy it again.

I was given a few flavors to try. The mint was the only one that was not bad. I agree that the raspberry was terrible..I will stay with the regular ones. The premium ones look nice but that's all. I passed them on to someone else to try. :sad:

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I just saw a commercial for these (specifically the triple chocolate ones). It was at 1:00am during Olympics coverage on NBC in NYC.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

I work in radio in Missouri. We've been running some network ads for these. Maybe in conjunction with Wal-Mart. I can't remember right now.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I found them in my local grocery store next to the EGGS and dairy case. Ummm, seemed an odd place to hide the display shipper in the back of the store. I bought the triple chocolate because that was the flavor I thought would appeal to most. They are actually quite pretty! The flavors are good on this but I can't really distinguish between the white, milk and dark chocolates. Its like a denser, richer milk chocolate to me. And the coating melts away and isn't the classic hard shell for the regular M&Ms.

Thanks for the opinions on the other flavors though! I may try the mint if its still around when I get to it, probably not the rasberry though based on comments here.

Genny

I tried them as well and had high hopes because they are SO PRETTY! (Imagining all the fun things I could do with them on cakes and cookies, etc.)

The first one I tried was the raspberry and all I could think of was "who dropped the raspberry candle in my M&M bag?" BLECH!

I know that there is a lot of competition for the upscale chocolate market but these just flopped....................

Give me a BIG bag of plain old garden variety peanut M&Ms any day! Bren

• 2 weeks later...