• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
MikeHartnett

Ball Canning Jars

Zuppardo's has them. But you can find them in just about every grocery store. Even Wal-Mart has them.

Whatcha canning? :raz:

I don't know which size you're buying, but I've switched to the wide-mouth jars. Cleaning the wider jars is so much easier than the narrow-mouth jars.

Rhonda

Thanks!

Not sure what I'm canning yet. I have a week off between work ending and going back to school, and I feel that I should use my time wisely. And so, canning it shall be!

Any ideas?

Yes. Watermelon rind pickles. :wub:

I just made some less than 2 weeks ago, and they're already gone. :huh:

That's what I'll be making this weekend because the reason I made them was to give to a friend. When we ate at Cochon he asked if he could purchase some, but, no, they use that for cooking/serving. *This time* I'll deliver them right away. :raz:

And as soon as Mayhaws are in season, it's jelly-making time. http://www.mayhaw.org/

Rhonda

Watermelon rind pickles for sure... I just got the new Saveur, and I've got a hankerin'.

Mayhaws are so far away, though.

Thanks for the ideas!

I have to check at the market tomorrow, but if I'm being honest, I wasn't thrilled with the tomatoes I had this year. Not sure if they're worth saving.

If you get this today.... go by the Freret Market and buy a jar of sweet/hot bread and butter pickles from Ms. Constant. They are so good I might just start growing cucumbers to give to her so she'll can batches just for me!

(I agree with you on the tomatoes... the only good ones I had all season were golden ones at Cafe Minh.)

“The secret of good cooking is, first, having a love of it… If you’re convinced that cooking is drudgery, you’re never going to be good at it, and you might as well warm up something frozen.”

~ James Beard

Wal Mart almost always has them. I got some quarts and some pints about a week ago at the Wally World on Tchop.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Thanks, Brooks. I'm in Chicago for a week, but I'll check it out when I get back. I made some killer watermelon pickles last week, and I think I might be forced to can some.

Sign in to follow this