• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef Season 5

Reignking

I think Fabio survived because he got the 3 points from the crowd.

Colicchio's blog entry is posted. He basically says that although Fabio overcooked the venison, the other elements of the dish were good. In contrast, he felt that Jeff's dish was fundamentally misconceived, and could never have been good. It gets tough by this point in the season, because everyone left is a strong chef, but someone has to lose.

He strongly suggests that they didn't give the crowd vote much weight, as it seemed to him basically a popularity contest.

Edited by oakapple (log)

That was a rough final 3. But like Radhika last week it seemed like Jeff checked out for this episode. He just wouldn't learn that lesson to simplify.  Somebody get him a slot in an Alice Waters kitchen, stat!

It's hard to say how much editing informs our view of each chef, but clearly Jeff has been told repeatedly, and repeatedly ignored, the advice to simplify. He's clearly talented, but perhaps too arrogant to really progress. And once he started arguing that fancy technique should trump good taste, then I think he was done. Too bad, because I liked his personality and his creativity.

Fabio is also a man who refuses to take criticism. Could be his downfall as well.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

It's hard to say how much editing informs our view of each chef, but clearly Jeff has been told repeatedly, and repeatedly ignored, the advice to simplify. He's clearly talented, but perhaps too arrogant to really progress. And once he started arguing that fancy technique should trump good taste, then I think he was done. Too bad, because I liked his personality and his creativity.

Totally agree and I forgot to add the point about editing as well. But it came up twice this episode, including that hilarious/sad moment at Quickfire Judging where Jeff seemed to just realize, as he was explaining the dish, that he went overboard again. There's some arrogance to what he does, but also I think it's his natural impulse to over complicate dishes out of passion and just who he is.

He strongly suggests that they didn't give the crowd vote much weight, as it seemed to him basically a popularity contest

Still, in the split decisions, the crowd determined who went to Judge's Table or not.

I would have liked to see the judges vote simultaneously, by holding up cards or something, to avoid influencing the next judge to vote. I found it a little suspicious that they ended up with a bottom three like a lot of previous episodes, when they could have ended up with no one losing. Not to say it was purposeful, but there could have been some subconcious influencing going on.

I also watched the episode again late-night, and that douchebag of a judge is totally mocking Fabio's accent. I don't know (or care) what kind of acclaimed wonderboy this asshat is in the culinary hobnobbing world -- he comes across as a prick. Also, sidenote, what was up with the pretentious, insider-ish "see you in Miami" assurances to Jeff?

You know, for all the blathering the judging panel has done over the seasons about "standing by your dish" (as cliched a phrase as "under the bus"), they certainly don't like it if you stand by it too much, apparently.

The last two eliminations were unfortunate. Radhika gets tossed for being a poor hostess, and Jeff unfortunately ends up after a crappy elimination challenge theme with two other strong contestants.

Yeah, Fabio has messed up, but I enjoy watching him. I don't think he can't take criticism; I just think he calls bullsh*t when he hears it. Actually I find him more gracious than many.

Edited by chappie (log)

You know, for all the blathering the judging panel has done over the seasons about "standing by your dish" (as cliched a phrase as "under the bus"), they certainly don't like it if you stand by it too much, apparently.
It's a very tough line to draw. The show is about survival, so you try to defend yourself. By the same token, the judges want to see if you understand why you screwed up. Sometimes, a bit of humility helps, but Carla survived last week despite putting up a pretty loony self-defense.
The last two eliminations were unfortunate. Radhika gets tossed for being a poor hostess, and Jeff unfortunately ends up after a crappy elimination challenge theme with two other strong contestants.

There is an element of luck to it. Leah "won" last week because of Stefan's desserts, and he's the guy no one wanted on their team.

There's some arrogance to what he does, but also I think it's his natural impulse to over complicate dishes out of passion and just who he is.

And the fact that he's a Miami chef...that's what they like to do down there.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I also watched the episode again late-night, and that douchebag of a judge is totally mocking Fabio's accent. I don't know (or care) what kind of acclaimed wonderboy this asshat is in the culinary hobnobbing world -- he comes across as a prick. Also, sidenote, what was up with the pretentious, insider-ish "see you in Miami" assurances to Jeff?

Yeah, Fabio has messed up, but I enjoy watching him. I don't think he can't take criticism; I just think he calls bullsh*t when he hears it. Actually I find him more gracious than many.

I completely agree. I came to this thread to say virtually the same thing about Scott Conant. What an arrogant prick! And it wasn't editing to make him look that way, either. You don't act that way without watching a little too much American Idol.

I was appalled by the guest judge's behavior and attitude. You couldn't pay me to eat at any of his restaurants.

On the other hand, I have eaten at Fabio's restaurant. Both the food and the service were excellent. Perhaps the format doesn't showcase his talent.

I was appalled by the guest judge's behavior and attitude.  You couldn't pay me to eat at any of his restaurants.
I thought what he did was quite reasonable. Fabio's explanation was ridiculous. In any case, it really has nothing to do with the quality of his restaurants.
On the other hand, I have eaten at Fabio's restaurant.  Both the food and the service were excellent.  Perhaps the format doesn't showcase his talent.

The format doesn't always allow the chefs to do their best. The constraints of the various challenges are sometimes awfully contrived. Fabio was clearly not happy with his lot in the quickfire challenge, but you have to hold him accountable for cooking "oat-crusted eggplant," which sounded like an awful idea from the get-go. In the elimination challenge, he admitted his venison was over-cooked, though his excuse was pretty lame.

I'm actually surprised Jeff lasted as long as he did.

He always over thought his work and then would get upset when the judges told him it was too much.

I still like Fabio.

I think this may be his turning point though. he puts out good but there's alway one element that brings him down.

I used to like Leah, but she's just skating now and I think Hosea has an overblown image of himself.

In spite of it all, I've learned to like Stefan, but i have a feeling he won't make it to the final three.

At this point I'm fairly confident in a Stefan vs. Jamie final (if they go back to 2 people, which I think is a much better way to do it).

That would be the most interesting final, and it makes the most sense. I am reasonably confident that Stefan is the best chef there, with Jamie and Hosea close behind. It would be a travesty if the final does not include two of those three.

However, as I've said before, there is an element of luck, which is why Carla is still there, but chefs better than her are gone.

ive owned the crap out of predicting this season.

the quickfire was straight up awful. so much potential gone to waste. i love my oats tho but come on. every goddamn one of them made oatcrusted whatever. sooo many cool things i can think of off the top of my head.

I'm more sold on Jamie as a chef than I once was, and (perhaps better editing) they've toned down her mysterious blend of apparent lethargy and arrogance accordingly. Leah = meh. I could sear a piece of meat and serve it up. I think she's the closest they've got to a hetero "hot girl" and they're stretching her a few more episodes.

Carla and Fabio are great entertainment. Stefan probably the best chef. I'm ambivalent on Hosea, and I thought Radhika and Jeff were strong conteders.

Overall I agree with whoever said this season is a thus far a yawn.

I think she's the closest they've got to a hetero "hot girl" and they're stretching her a few more episodes.

I think she's still there because she's been performing pretty consistently well. Not as outstanding as Stefan, but the girl has talent.

Also, I don't think she's het – wasn't she a member of the rainbow brigade or whatever they were calling themselves?

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?