• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef Season 5

Reignking

Eh, ding dong can serve uncooked fish, and that's ok? That's a health hazard. Nobody ever died of runny ice cream. Totally wrong person went home.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

What dopes! They had no idea that there was a camera there? Seriously, I'm mystified at why they allowed themselves to be in that position. Were they drunk?

Probably.

I don't think they knew the camera was there. It looked to me like the camera was stationed somewhere down a hall and was peeking around a corner and zooming in on them. And yeah, they were probably drunk. I was almost shouting at the tv – "Noooooo! you're going to HATE yourself for this!!"

And yes, another reason for the cringing was that I don't want to see "Real World" type antics on my "Top Chef".

The show used to be Top Chef...then it turned into Top Scallop...now it is Top Slut or perhaps Top Schmuck.

I think that in the future they need to recruit more serious cheftestants and to take them more seriously. No more scroty spycams.

Eh, ding dong can serve uncooked fish, and that's ok? That's a health hazard. Nobody ever died of runny ice cream. Totally wrong person went home.

I don't think there was any health hazard there; it just wasn't very good. She lucked out because in a team challenge a win for the whole team saves everybody. Those have always been the rules.

Toby the brit is so distracting. I'm starting to "Go Toby" and view my own cooking (heck everything) in the style of Toby, "This dish reminds me of a one night stand I recently endured, It filled a need but I wouldn't want my name associated with it!"

In my head I see Toby endorsing automobiles and having unprotected sex with a Chrysler Cordoba. It must stop. I can't sleep at night wondering what he must have done to those poor little piggies on the farm while no one was looking?

Toby must go. I want him to be the next secret ingredient on Iron Chef, Japan not America, that way he will still be alive when the competition begins.

LOL

Between Toby the Tool and the high school sex scenes, TC is losing me quickly. The only thing that keep Toolman Toby from looking just like Elmer Fudd is his accent. How does "cwazy wabbit" sound in British?

Could be a great secret challenge, make a dinner out of Looney Toons characters. Wabbitt, coyote, duck, roadrunner, dog, cat.

Or Disney characters. Thumper, Bambi...

Edited by gfweb (log)

Toby made his feelings clear about American frustrations with his judging and his amazing British wit: http://www.spectator.co.uk/print/the-magaz...s-anxiety.thtml

Essentially, if you don't enjoy his amazing observations, it's because you have never heard someone who can form full thoughts.

I'm not sure how advocating unnatural acts with a porkloin constitutes a more completely formed conciousness. A beer bellied, mouth breathing, knuckle dragging, cousin copulating redneck could accomplish as much while abusing the livestock behind the barn with far less pretense.

"Could be a great secret challenge, make a dinner out of Looney Toons characters. Wabbitt, coyote, duck, roadrunner, dog, cat.

Or Disney characters. Thumper, Bambi..." ummmmm....Bambi!

Toby made his feelings clear about American frustrations with his judging and his amazing British wit: http://www.spectator.co.uk/print/the-magaz...s-anxiety.thtml

Essentially, if you don't enjoy his amazing observations, it's because you have never heard someone who can form full thoughts.

LOL. After reading the link it is clear that he fancies himself to be a reality TV villian when in reality he is just a pretentious ass. Logorrhea should not be confused with brilliance nor sophistry with insight.

Looks like we'll be seeing more of him because Bravo likes the negative press. A shame, because it isn't titillating, just stupid and irritating. I don't think many watch to see what the twit will do next.

LOL. After reading the link it is clear that he fancies himself to be a reality TV villian when in reality he is just a pretentious ass. Logorrhea should not be confused with brilliance nor sophistry with insight.

Looks like we'll be seeing more of him because Bravo likes the negative press. A shame, because it isn't titillating, just stupid and irritating. I don't think many watch to see what the twit will do next.

There's a reason his first book was titled "How to Lose Friends and Alienate People". His whole career is based on being an unrepentent, shameless ass hat.

Re: How to Lose Friends and Alienate People

I knew I recognized him from somewhere...they made a feature film from that book. Ugh...I hate myself for having watched it. Now that I know he is "that guy", I can see that he is working really hard to maintain his image of douchebaggery.

I knew I recognized him from somewhere...they made a feature film from that book. Ugh...I hate myself for having watched it. Now that I know he is "that guy", I can see that he is working really hard to maintain his image of douchebaggery.

so perhaps he should pack his douchebag and go.

so perhaps he should pack his douchebag and go.

A Glad brand douchebag?

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I had missed last week's episode so I just caught up before tonight's new release. Damn. I'm sorry to see Radhika go because she's more talented than a lot of the contestants remaining.

Leah cannot depart this show soon enough for me. May she be gone tonight.

What was the deal with Scott Conant when he was talking to Fabio? He seemed to really have something to prove and went after him right away. Maybe it was the editing but I thought that he came off as an ass in that situation.

I agree – too many chefs, not enough focus on the food. I'm sad to see Jeff go. I really didn't like him the first few eps – but he's grown on me. I feel really badly for him now. I would've felt awful about Fabio leaving too tho. Tough call.

I'm glad Stefan didn't get booted off because of this one challenge. It didn't sound like his dish was bad, just not as good as Andrea's (ha! sucker!). He's amazingly talented, but it was good to see him knocked down a peg.

And what a comeback from Carla! She still annoys me.

My picks are Stefan, Hosea and Jamie for final 3. Of course now I've doomed them all. Carla and Leah need to go soon. And then Fabio. He just isn't consistent enough to win this thing.

Edited by emmalish (log)

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

I'm rerally surprised they didn't send Fabio home, rather than Jeff. He keeps skating through on cute accent & charm, but on the actual cooking side my impression is that he is tutto fumo niente arrosto.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

If you watch/listen very carefully, it seems at first this Scott Conant person is mocking Fabio's accent a little bit.

I just rewatched and you're totally right. Especially when Fabio is saying "I understand" and Conant is saying "Do you understand? I don't know if you understand."

Also caught that Fabio was lying through his teeth when he said the venison was cooked perfectly when he plated it and that it continued to cook with the hot cabbage on the plate (which sounded like bull anyway). During the elimination challenge they cut to an interview with Fabio and he said that when he plated he saw that the venison was "too cooked". Heh.

Also, did I totally miss something this ep? I'm sure in the previews from last week there was a scene where one of the all-stars called Fabio "Fabian" or something like that, but I didn't catch it during the ep tonight. Anyone else? Or did I imagine that preview?

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

What was the deal with Scott Conant when he was talking to Fabio?  He seemed to really have something to prove and went after him right away.  Maybe it was the editing but I thought that he came off as an ass in that situation.

Fabio deserved what he got. He was trying to defend the indefensible. I was surprised to see Jeff get sent home, but I assume Colicchio will explain it on his blog later today.

What was the deal with Scott Conant when he was talking to Fabio?  He seemed to really have something to prove and went after him right away.  Maybe it was the editing but I thought that he came off as an ass in that situation.

Fabio deserved what he got. He was trying to defend the indefensible. I was surprised to see Jeff get sent home, but I assume Colicchio will explain it on his blog later today.

I totally agree that he made a bad dish and most likely should have been sent home. However, the other judges said the same thing without being so defensive about it. It seemed like to me that Conant was felt he needed to prove that he was a better chef than Fabio in that exchange. Which I would think is a foregone conclusion.

That was a rough final 3. But like Radhika last week it seemed like Jeff checked out for this episode. He just wouldn't learn that lesson to simplify. Somebody get him a slot in an Alice Waters kitchen, stat!

Jeff was one of my final three also. It seems likely then that Hosea will now be in the top 3 (up against Stephan and Jamie) and I find him less and less likeable with each episode. But then again if that final 3 does come to pass I'm really not all that wild about that lineup.

I think Jeff will chart a path similar to S3's Tre though: he acquitted himself well, clearly knows his chops, and is professional, charismatic, and a good team player. I'm sorry to see him go because he was turning out to be the most sympathetic character on the show, but he'll probably land on his feet and do very well.