• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef Season 5

Reignking

I've been thinking about vinaigrette and whether it is an emulsion.  I think that the answer is "it depends".

Shaking oil and vinegar alone  doesn't make an emulsion since it separates almost immediately.  If an emulsifying agent of some sort is added then it would be an emulsion.  So some vinaigrettes are emulsions and some aren't and Stephan was wrong anyway, because he is an ass.

Thanks! I just watched the first two episodes, and caught Stefan's silliness. I almost always throw a teaspoon of mustard in my vinaigrettes precisely to emulsify them. That dude is way too full of himself, with the facepulling when he was rated poorly in E02. He's already this year's "Douchebag and a Tool" in my book. Jill or Ariane could have gone this week to no great surprise, but I would have booted Ariane. Bullet Dodger. (And I though Jill was very cute).

I thought about posting this in the regional forums ... but I'm almost certain that Top Chef NYC will take place in my town -- ROCHESTER -- next week! I am on pins and needles to see what they did here.

(If anyone is interested, I posted my reasons for thinking it's in Rochester on my blog ... I could have cut & pasted onto this post but didn't think there would be a lot of interest in a long explanation.)

Of course if I'm wrong I'll have egg on my face...

My blog: Rah Cha Chow

fabio is clearly competent and revealed himself as less cocky than first glance when he collapsed at judges table. But he did reproduce a dish he did regularly at his restaurant. we'll see what he does out of his comfort zone.

stefan is a jerk, bu some of his food has really caught my eye. I want celery root raviolis.

Jamie cooks at one of my favorite restaurants, Absinthe, and if she holds to that standard she's do well to the end. She misstepped, but then caught herself, so I think she can pull it out.

Gene is my big bet, though. anyone who can cook that well from tasting at a deli has got it going on. And he seems genuinely sweet despite the tats and mock attitude.

Edited by et alors (log)

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

What does everyone think should have been done with the Ostrich Egg that would have been more creative or highlighted it more? A giant fried egg is all I can come up with, but wouldn't have worked well for this challenge?

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

What does everyone think should have been done with the Ostrich Egg that would have been more creative or highlighted it more?  A giant fried egg is all I can come up with, but wouldn't have worked well for this challenge?

Trying to remember what Morimoto did with Ostrich egg when he went up against Wolfgang Puck on Iron Chef. All I remember is him drawing a circle around it with a sharpie and going at it with a hacksaw. That's entertainment!

What does everyone think should have been done with the Ostrich Egg that would have been more creative or highlighted it more?  A giant fried egg is all I can come up with, but wouldn't have worked well for this challenge?

I may be somewhat limited in my interpretation or imagination, but I don't think there's all that much opportunity or value to using an ostrich egg in the new american concept. Its was just a quirk that she thought would give her some originality points, but it was impractical and handicapped her. Now, if she had laid the egg, that might have gotten her some mileage for originality. In the end, she just made quiche, but oh wow not with chicken eggs. Maybe if she could have separated it and played on some sort of deviled egg idea. "One Devil of an Egg Deviled Eggs."

Edited by Dignan (log)

In any classic sense a vinaigrette should be an emulsion for sure, and with smug Stephan pushing his Europeaner-than-thou holiness on the prole Yanks, it was a stupid (and it would appear drunken) thing to say. I expect more smug, stupid, and drunken from Stephan, but if he saves that behavior for the apartment and doesn't try to shave anyone's head, he contends.

Like a lot of people, my money is on him, Fabio, and Gene: those three clearly have the chops and appear so far to have ice in their veins in the kitchen.

Is anyone else noticing that quite a few people already seem to be cracking and shaking at judge's table?

Right. Stefan's argument was one made for the sake of argument. Sure, you can mix oil and vinegar together and call it a vinaigrette...a broken vinaigrette. I do this all the time when I'm lazy. Point is, a proper vinaigrette should be emulsified. He was just being an ass and for that I dislike him even though he is a competent ass.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

1) I might have served an egg drop soup out of the shells.

2) The things are so big that you could poach one and use the whites as a wrap for somethng else.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

Just the ticket to kick off a world class food fight, though the thickness of the shell might lead to a charge of felony assault.

One of the Top Chef like shows really has to script a spontaneous food fight into an episode.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Trying to remember what Morimoto did with Ostrich egg when he went up against Wolfgang Puck on Iron Chef. All I remember is him drawing a circle around it with a sharpie and going at it with a hacksaw. That's entertainment!

I remember Morimoto doing something with an Ostrich egg too -- probably on "Battle Egg." I have a vague recollection of him using it as some kind of serving piece. Could he have nestled each egg half in a lot of salt and used it as a bowl for soup?

I also was thinking about what kind of interesting thing she could have done with that huge egg. Maybe serve it with a ginormous steak for a Flintstones version of steak and eggs? Or cut a big hole in a pizza crust and do a take off on "toad in the hole?" Or ... wasn't Antonia into serving a fried egg on top of a salad? Maybe a giant salad with a giant fried egg on top? Or an enormous spin on an Egg McMuffin?

Now you see why I'm not on TC...

My blog: Rah Cha Chow

1) I might have served an egg drop soup out of the shells.

2) The things are so big that you could poach one and use the whites as a wrap for somethng else.

A updated fried egg sandwich? a croque madam?

Then it would've stretched further and all kinds of goodies could've been added.

I'm sure the judges would have even been happy with quiche IF it had been done well. Their problem was that what she made was gummy (didn't one of the judges say it tasted like paste?). Just the fact that she used an interesting ingredient isn't enough if it isn't used well.

Edited by emmalish (log)

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

When I saw the egg on screen, my first thought was a deviled egg. I'd serve one half egg on a plate and say that it served two, perhaps as an appetizer.

I think it would feed more than that--I'm pretty sure an ostrich egg is equal to something like 22 regular chicken eggs, iirc.

Gnomey

The GastroGnome

(The adventures of a Gnome who does not sit idly on the front lawn of culinary cottages)

Awww, I was sorry to see Richard go last night. He seemed like such a sweet man. The smores, however, weren't a strong dish. What else did he do? Surely it wasn't just the one thing? Also, did anyone catch who did that vegan stuffing the judges were so happy with? I was surprised it didn't get mentioned at judging, unless I missed it...

wanna come with?

Awww, I was sorry to see Richard go last night. He seemed like such a sweet man. The smores, however, weren't a strong dish. What else did he do? Surely it wasn't just the one thing? Also, did anyone catch who did that vegan stuffing the judges were so happy with? I was surprised it didn't get mentioned at judging, unless I missed it...

If rate the plate is correct: Radhika made the Roasted Veggie Vegan Corn Bread Stuffing.

recipe too!

Thanks, tsquare!

There still must be too many contestants.  During the quick fire I must have fallen asleep or they only showed about half the dishes.  Same with the elimination challenge. They were a lot more chefs than they showed dishes.

I know! Didn't they use to show what everyone did in the quick fire? Or am I imagining that? I found it jarring that several people were completely skipped.

wanna come with?

I know! Didn't they use to show what everyone did in the quick fire? Or am I imagining that? I found it jarring that several people were completely skipped.

I'm pretty sure they showed them all. I know they have to do a lot of editing but they should edit the drama and show the talent or lack of depending of the chefs that are on the show. That's what I watch for not the BS drama they build in the show.

So to be a Top Chef one must be a master of boxed stocks (broths) and microwave ovens?

I'm thinking those little twists are more about being a master of dealing with the situation at hand and getting the job done. A top chef would say "ok, this is what I have to work with so this is how I'll get it done". A flop chef would say "I can't" and start making excuses. I'm sure the boxed stocks are the result of advertising dollars as well.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.