• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef Season 5

Reignking

Tom Colicchio was on the Today Show this morning. He said that they had been filming in NYC for the next season. The current episode's challenge was "to create a dish for the Today Show". The 13 remaining chefs' dishes were whittled down to 3 by the judges, which Tom presented (we never saw the chefs).

I'd explain the dishes in more detail, but there wasn't much, and I couldn't overhear 4 women talking at once with their mouths full. The winner was a caprese salad (that may have had watermelon, but again, I couldn't hear); the other two dishes were a cabbage roll with chicken and sumac (which Meredith hated) and sesame-encrusted seared tuna.

They didn't seem terribly original, but I don't know the exact parameters of the challenge. I'm sure, since Top Chef 5 is filming in NYC, we'll see plenty of Bravo/NBC tie-ins.

Tom Colicchio was on the Today Show this morning.  He said that they had been filming in NYC for the next season.  The current episode's challenge was "to create a dish for the Today Show".  The 13 remaining chefs' dishes were whittled down to 3 by the judges, which Tom presented (we never saw the chefs).

I'd explain the dishes in more detail, but there wasn't much, and I couldn't overhear 4 women talking at once with their mouths full.  The winner was a caprese salad (that may have had watermelon, but again, I couldn't hear); the other two dishes were a cabbage roll with chicken and sumac (which Meredith hated) and sesame-encrusted seared tuna.

They didn't seem terribly original, but I don't know the exact parameters of the challenge.  I'm sure, since Top Chef 5 is filming in NYC, we'll see plenty of Bravo/NBC tie-ins.

You can find the video segment on www.todayshow.com.

The task for the Top Chef contestants was to prepare and demonstrate a dish if they had to appear on the Today Show and make it on-air. It would be a two-and-half minute demonstration. Tom said they were deadlocked on the winners and wanted the hosts of the Today Show to pick a winner from the top three dishes (sounds like a gimmick to me).

Whoever won this competition will go on the Today Show in December, when this Top Chef show airs, and make the winning dish. NBC-Universal also owns the Bravo Network so the tie-in is an obvious one.

Here are the three entries:

1) Tomato, watermelon, feta cheese salad with basil and balsamic vinegar. Host Meredith Viera can't eat watermelon because it makes her physically ill (what's up with the Today Show hosts and food? Bryant Gumble was notorious for his hatred of cheese in any way, shape or form when he hosted the show).

2) Sauteed shrimp cabbage roll with roasted peppers, walnuts and sumac. Host Kathy Lee Gifford hated it and spit it out.

3) Seared tuna with asparagus and roasted carrots and a little balsamic glaze. One of the hosts was pregnant (Natalie Morales?) and declined to eat the very rare tuna.

So it was a toss up between the caprese salad and the tuna. Even though they said it wasn't very original. the hosts declared the caprese salad as the winner.

What's interesting is the time-line of the show. They are shooting so far in advance that whoever just won this competition may not even be a contestant by the time the show airs in Decemeber and they have to appear on the Today Show to make this recipe.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

What's interesting is the time-line of the show. They are shooting so far in advance that whoever just won this competition may not even be a contestant by the time the show airs in Decemeber and they have to appear on the Today Show to make this recipe.

None of them will be contestants when they do the live Today show segment. The entire series is in the can, including the winner reveal epsiode, before the first episode airs. At least that's the way it worked with Season 4. With season 3, thy did the reveal live. So, I suppose at that point there were still three contestants left. But before that, everyone else had been eliminated before the first episode aired.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

1) Tomato, watermelon, feta cheese salad with basil and balsamic vinegar. Host Meredith Viera can't eat watermelon because it makes her physically ill (what's up with the Today Show hosts and food? Bryant Gumble was notorious for his hatred of cheese in any way, shape or form when he hosted the show).

2) Sauteed shrimp cabbage roll with roasted peppers, walnuts and sumac. Host Kathy Lee Gifford hated it and spit it out.

3) Seared tuna with asparagus and roasted carrots and a little balsamic glaze. One of the hosts was pregnant (Natalie Morales?) and declined to eat the very rare tuna.

I would love to be the waitperson has to deal with a table of these four drama queens. Ay caramba!

Good that TC5 will be on by next December though!

None of them will be contestants when they do the live Today show segment. The entire series is in the can, including the winner reveal epsiode, before the first episode airs. At least that's the way it worked with Season 4. With season 3, thy did the reveal live. So, I suppose at that point there were still three contestants left. But before that, everyone else had been eliminated before the first episode aired.

Not sure that's accurate. SEason 4 finale was filmed well after the show started airing. In fact it was towards the end of the airing.

I've always been quite annoyed with the food segments on the Today Show. Many times they show eight or nine dishes and then allot three minutes to get to all of them, along with silly things like one of the stars stirring something in a pan. And I was yelling "shut up" at the TV when the four women were all talking at once on this episode.

I've always been quite annoyed with the food segments on the Today Show.  Many times they show eight or nine dishes and then allot three minutes to get to all of them, along with silly things like one of the stars stirring something in a pan.  And I was yelling "shut up" at the TV when the four women were all talking at once on this episode.

I agree -- on any of the morning programs the chefs really have to scramble to do a coherent demonstration.

My blog: Rah Cha Chow

I've always been quite annoyed with the food segments on the Today Show.  Many times they show eight or nine dishes and then allot three minutes to get to all of them, along with silly things like one of the stars stirring something in a pan.  And I was yelling "shut up" at the TV when the four women were all talking at once on this episode.

I agree -- on any of the morning programs the chefs really have to scramble to do a coherent demonstration.

Fortunately, The Today Show has been pretty good about posting recipes demo'ed on the show on their website (www.todayshow.com in the Food & Wine section).

This one Top Chef segment was an exception and it's likely the recipes will be posted in December when the winning chef appears to demo their dish.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

I do know Ariane. We both live in the same town and both own restaurants in Montclair, NJ. Her restaurant, CulinAriane is wonderful! Ariane is extremely talented, and a lovely person. We even "share" a server who works at both of our restaurants. She has nothing but high praise for her as well.

I'm so happy that she has achieved so much and am rooting for her!! (No, I can't get inside info, but my understanding is that filming is over)

I don't know Laruen's quote in her mini bio really annoys me and makes me want to loose, but I agree that Patrick will not last long. Over all the competition looks pretty strong.

Jonathan

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.

Aristophanes

• 2 weeks later...

I agree the bios are incredibly hokey, especially given the caliber of the show (i.e. real chefs, not Hell's Kitchen)

But I must admit, I am intrigued to see the guy who is William Shatner's personal chef.

Kkeym

I agree the bios are incredibly hokey, especially given the caliber of the show (i.e. real chefs, not Hell's Kitchen)

But I must admit, I am intrigued to see the guy who is William Shatner's personal chef.

Kkeym

Dammit Bill, I'm just a chef, not a miracle worker!

Kkeym

Dammit Bill, I'm just a chef, not a miracle worker!

The yeast is dead, Jim.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick heads up to TiVo (and other DVR users, I suppose).

Looks like this season of Top Chef is called "Top Chef: New York" in the guide data. My previous Season Pass for "Top Chef" isn't picking up this new season. I had to create a new SP for "TC: New York"

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 2 weeks later...

I'd really like to know why they run the gambit when it comes to the contestants' experience. Example, last season before anyone picked up a knife it was obvious to me that Nimma would be the first to go. She simply had the body language of a scared to death extern. Whereas Stephanie owned and operated a restaurant and she won. This year seems to be the same with 21 year old patrick still in culinary school vs 41 year old Ariane who also runs her own restaurant. What I'm trying to say is that I really doubt one of the lesser experienced will pull off a Red Sox miracle and I believe the show would be more entertaining if the the contestants were chefs and not owners and aspiring sous chefs on the cusp. just my two cents.

www.adrianvasquez.net

Just a quick heads up to TiVo (and other DVR users, I suppose).

Looks like this season of Top Chef is called "Top Chef: New York" in the guide data. My previous Season Pass for "Top Chef" isn't picking up this new season. I had to create a new SP for "TC: New York"

HD DVR is recording it.

I was close on who packs their knives first.. But as they say close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades...

edit* ok so there were two and I'm half right...

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

I like the format of this first episode. In years past it has been hard to follow all of the people in the early episodes, but the way the first quickfire narrowed the field successively was a great idea. I also like that it was elimination, which was a fun twist to ratchet up the pressure right away. And I'm glad they got rid of the kid who spent most of his time yacking on about how he wanted to "share his passion." Blech. What a generic non-statement.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

And I'm glad they got rid of the kid who spent most of his time yacking on about how he wanted to "share his passion." Blech. What a generic non-statement.

Me too...plus, you just know he would've been way too teary and hand-holding.

To be able to shop in NYC's Chinatown, and not come up with a greater inspiration than

that shown, is totally lame.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Solid start. Hardcore to get rid of two contestants right away. That opens the door I guess for a "do over" ep down the road where no one gets eliminated . . . maybe?

Also a pretty impressive one-two punch on the quick fire and elimination challenges: they were both straightforward tests of cooking ability and vision. I liked how the two on the chopping block at the end were the classic failure of technique vs. failure of vision.