• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taylor Pork roll

Taylor Pork Roll is not Lebanon bologna.  Both items are sui generis. The spicing of Taylor Pork Roll is aggressively salty and sweet.  I seem to remember that it is usually, if not always, heated on a griddle before being placed in a hamburger bun.  Lebanaon Bologna is a much more typical dry sausage. 

If anyone does want Lebanon bologna, they have it in the deli at Larry's Market in Seattle (Queen Anne, possibly others). I haven't tried it, but noticed it because Laurie Colwin recommends it in Home Cooking. She liked a sandwich of, I think, Lebanon bologna, cream cheese, and fresh herbs on whole-grain bread, good summer/picnic food.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

I live in Chicago and last year my buddy got me hooked on Pork Roll after bring me back a package from a business trip he took to central Pennsylvania. He grew up eating Pork Roll and was always talking about it so finally I tried it and was instantly an addict.

I usually make a million variations of Pork Roll, egg and cheese breakfast sammy's (variants of bread, cheese, hot sauces, egg preparations, etc.), but recently I did something even more spectacular that I just have to share...

Got this idea from something I read that people do on the BBQ competition circuit. I took what I call a "log" of Pork Roll (the tube shaped package with the membrane around it), and took a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe and cut out the core of the log, length wise, without going all the way through. I then poured into the hollowed core my favorite BBQ sauce, replaced a plug from the cut out core to keep the sauce inside, and smoked the whole thing for about three hours on my ceramic smoker while also smoking some spareribs (the real purpose of that days cooking).

In a word, the Pork Roll was divine.

I just discovered this very serendipitous thread! Yesterday, yes yesterday, I was delivered my two 3-lbs rolls from Pork Roll Xpress and it is only the second time in perhaps 10 years that I have had this wonderful childhood treat. Even the hint that it might be available in the Portland area has my mouth watering.

I grew up outside of Chicago, but my parents were from Philly and all my childhood Taylor's Ham, as we called it, was the single most special food treat we could have. And we rarely had it. Wherever I travel I keep my eye open for hints of the plump fabric-covered rolls. Last month I was in Seattle with my wife and saw the most amazing thing: Taylor Pork Roll on display. My excited utterances were greeted with indifference by my wife, who protested when I tried to buy the store's entire remaining stock. In the end I got two 1-lb. (a MEASLY 1-lb) rolls, one for me and one for my sister. Since then I found Pork Roll Xpress and am finally feeling satiated.

My wife thinks the stuff is just glorified Spam. I actively encourage her in this belief.

Thanks for the great recipies . . . I'll try them, but mostly I'll just savor the stuff by itself, sitting on the back deck in the sun, watching the river flow by . . .

..... mostly I'll just savor the stuff by itself, .....

Try a rolled-up slice with some cottage cheese in the middle.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

That can't be kosher ;)

Living hard will take its toll...

That can't be kosher ;)

But it's merry.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx