• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Special non chocolate dessert

sgschef

Special dessert for graduation bbque

I need to make something spectacular-which will feed a large group -for a graduation party tomorrow--Not Chocolate! All my special cakes, etc are chocolate-that's what my family insists on. I can make a great blueberry or peach pie-but I need to feed more. Any ideas?

How about a variation on trifle? Get some pound cake and slice them horizontally into layers. Spread with a berry mixture, then pudding, cake, berries, pudding and whipped cream on top. Make them on sheet pans and put them in the refrigerator and serve like sheet cakes. Refreshing and very summery and you can make it today and it will taste better.

Why not go with a seasonal, local fruit shortcake? Make some sweet biscuits - they go together in a flash - and serve them with blueberries, sliced peaches, blackberries, whatever fresh, local fruits you can get your hands on. Serve with whipped cream.

We have a neighborhood street party every summer, and that's my contribution. People look for it every year. It's popular and easy, simple, scrumptious, and ecologically friendly.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

Why not go with a seasonal, local fruit shortcake? Make some sweet biscuits - they go together in a flash - and serve them with blueberries, sliced peaches, blackberries, whatever fresh, local fruits you can get your hands on. Serve with whipped cream.

We have a neighborhood street party every summer, and that's my contribution. People look for it every year. It's popular and easy, simple, scrumptious, and ecologically friendly.

Eileen

in the same vein, since it is a barbeque, you can do a 'build your own' shortcake. have the shortcakes already split and then different seasonal fruits (separate or all tossed together) macerated with a bit of sugar, alcohol, citrus zest and maybe some chiffonade of mint or basil...then a bowl full of lightly sweetened whipped cream and maybe even some ice cream. buffet style.