• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Infused oil

Cookwithlove

Hi,

I would like to understand more about infused oil. I heard about so many type of infused oil. How do you make them, appropriate occasion to use and ideally what temperature to store them.

Thanks you very much

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

One of my favorites is chive oil. I take a handful of chives (or maybe two), 3/4 cup of good olive oil, maybe a bit of lemon peel and black pepper. Put it in the blender until smooth, let it sit a day or two and then through a sieve or cheese cloth. I store it in a squeeze bottle in the fridge. It may solidify a bit but 20 seconds in the microwave and its fine. It is fantastic with sauteed fish. Just a few drops makes the whole meal feel like summer.

Anyone who says I'm hard to shop for doesn't know where to buy beer.

I like to make pepper oil and basil oil for adding a little flavor to dishes with out a trip to get things from the store. Few notes for the pepper oil I like to roast the died peppers in the oven for a minute or two before soaking them in the oil. for the basil (or any herb for that matter) DRY it first if you dont the moisture in it will breed bactiria in the oil and cause it to go rancid... learned from experiance here. other then that you can either blen the ingredents together and get infusion in a day or two or leave them whole and have them look good but take a couple of weeks to infuse full flavor.

Jonathan

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.

Aristophanes