• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Recipe of Lemon-Infused Olive Oil

shelly59

My sister brought a bottle of lemon-infused olive oil with her when we all went to the beach. I fell in love with it. However, I had massive sticker-shock when I came home and sauntered into my neighborhood grocery store to pick some up. $19.00 for a 6 ounce bottle!! :shock:

I would like to make my own, but I have a little red flag waving in the remote recesses of my brain...something about organic substances and oil and botulism. :hmmm:

I may be making something easy into something difficult ( I have a special knack for that!) but, in an abundance of caution, I thought I'd ask here. COuld anyone address my concern and, would anyone care to share their infused oil recipe?

Much thanks. :smile:

. . . .

I would like to make my own, but I have a little red flag waving in the remote recesses of my brain...something about organic substances and oil and botulism.  :hmmm:   

. . . .

I think that little red flag has a bulb-of-garlic crest. Botulism (Clostridium botulinum) lives in soil, as does garlic. Botulism also thrives in low-oxygen, pH-neutral environments (above ~4.6, with some exceptions), like say oil. Cooking doesn't do a good job of killing it, though the actual toxin is destroyed at 176F. More information here.

Since they grow on trees, lemons aren't particularly susceptible to C.botulinum.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.