• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezing Cake with Sour Cream Frosting

jlwquilter

Hi. Home baker here staring a VERY small custom baking business. I did a red velvet cake with vanilla sour cream frosting for a birthday a few weeks ago ... a big hit apparently!

Now they want smaller version of the cake for the birthday boy (he's had surgery) that he can eat over a period of time... it's only him (adult man).

The cake itself is no problem... I have several small pans I can use to different effect. And I know I can freeze it well.

However, the frosting! If I frost the cakes, let them set up, then wrap really well, can they go into, and more importantly, come out of the freezer well??

If not, just how long could a well wrapped sour cream frosted mini cake stay in a standard home fridge and not get gross OR make someone ill? 3 days? a week? Longer??

They want this for MONDAY. Nothing like having lead time :blink:

freezing a frosted cake will not pose a health risk. if well wrapped (double wrapped in saran wrap), it will reduce the possibility of the cake aquiring a freezer burn taste.

usually, we freeze unfrosted layers and never freeze fully assembled cakes...I find that when they thaw, there's some odd moisture leakage and they don't taste as good.

a well wrapped cake WILL keep in the fridge for 3-5 days.

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

Thanks for the input!

I was just able to now do a google (having to dash out to get child from camp really messes the day up - LOL!) and generally results said that sour cream seperates during defrosting so not a good choice for a to-be-frozen cake. Total bummer.

I talked more with the customer and they REALLY want the red velvet cake again so I will do mini-cakes, frost with the vanilla sour cream frosting and wrap them super well. The guy will just have to find room in his fridge until he eats them all!

I don't freeze frosted cakes either, as a general rule, but this was the first time I'd specificaaly been asked about being able to freeze a frosted cake... so I came to the experts!

I was just able to now do a google (having to dash out to get child from camp really messes the day up - LOL!) and generally results said that sour cream seperates during defrosting so not a good choice for a to-be-frozen cake. Total bummer.

This is true when you are talking about plain ol' sour cream. But if the sour cream is IN something, the rules change.

Tell me what the ingredients are in your sour cream frosting, and I can tell you if it's freezable.

Chefpeon - Guess what. I am such a ditz sometimes. I need cream cheese frosting, not sour cream frosting, for the RVC. Duh. And I do know that I can freeze the frosted cake ok so I am good to go. Just need to start baking!

I am sure however that at some point I will need to tackle the sour cream frosting question, just not right now!