• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Mid-City Green Market

Has anyone been lately? This is the one by Cork & Bottle...

I'm thinking of stopping by tonight, and I'm wondering if anyone had anything good to say about it. Last I checked, it was pretty tiny, and not too well stocked.

• 2 weeks later...

Its a tough time for markets in terms of crop, in the next few weeks though, the crops should start rolling in. Virtually all but one vendor have gone out of crop this time of year.

In a few weeks the Accardo's from St. James Parish will be back with heirlooms, the Barrileaux's from Cutoff will be back with cucumbers and hot house tomatoes, the Braithwaite citrus a few weeks after that. Also, the organic sprouts guy can make more money during the summer at his landscaping job than he can at the market and he will be back in a few weeks as well. And, starting in October we're having an organic mushroom guy from Mississippi come to the market each week.

Its been a fantastic, albeit tough, experience putting together a Farmer's Market, however I'm really excited that the Fall will really "harvest" our hard work this Fall.

Stay tuned.

"I often wonder what the Vintners buy

One half so precious as the Goods they sell."

- Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

Its a tough time for markets in terms of crop, in the next few weeks though, the crops should start rolling in. Virtually all but one vendor have gone out of crop this time of year.

In a few weeks the Accardo's from St. James Parish will be back with heirlooms, the Barrileaux's from Cutoff will be back with cucumbers and hot house tomatoes, the Braithwaite citrus a few weeks after that.  Also, the organic sprouts guy can make more money during the summer at his landscaping job than he can at the market and he will be back in a few weeks as well.  And, starting in October we're having an organic mushroom guy from Mississippi come to the market each week.

Its been a fantastic, albeit tough, experience putting together a Farmer's Market, however I'm really excited that the Fall will really "harvest" our hard work this Fall. 

Stay tuned.

Why would they be out of crops now? Is this the market located by the old American Can Company factory? If so, we just missed it last week. What other good farmers' markets are there in NO?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

In a few weeks the Accardo's from St. James Parish will be back with heirlooms, the Barrileaux's from Cutoff will be back with cucumbers and hot house tomatoes, the Braithwaite citrus a few weeks after that.  Also, the organic sprouts guy can make more money during the summer at his landscaping job than he can at the market and he will be back in a few weeks as well.  And, starting in October we're having an organic mushroom guy from Mississippi come to the market each week.

Stay tuned.

Why would they be out of crops now? Is this the market located by the old American Can Company factory? If so, we just missed it last week. What other good farmers' markets are there in NO?

Besides the original Crescent City farmers market on Saturday at Girod and Camp and their outpost in uptown here is a further list from the Crescent City farmers market

New Orleans Area Markets

Covington Farmers Market 609 N. Columbia Street, Covington Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and the Covington Trailhead Wednesday 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. 985.892-1873

French Market 1008 North Peters Street, New Orleans 504.522-2621

German Coast Farmer's Market East Bank: Ormond Plantation, 13786 River Road, Destrehan Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon West Bank: 13969 River Road, Luling (0.7 miles north of I-310 exit) Wednesday 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Gretna Farmers Market Huey P. Long Avenue between 3rd and 4th, Gretna Saturday, 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Harrison Avenue Marketplace 801 Harrison Avenue, New Orleans, 70124 Every second Wednesday of the month, 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Mid-City Green Market 3700 Orleans Avenue at the American Can Company, New Orleans Thursday 3 pm to 7 pm rain or shine. 504.483.6314

Upper Ninth Ward Market St. Claude Avenue at Gallier Street, New Orleans Saturday, 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. 504.482-5722

Vietnamese Farmers Market 14401 Alcee Fortier Boulevard, New Orleans Saturday, 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Thanks. We did indeed miss the Mid-City market by a day as we were out there last Friday on the 8th.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Why would they be out of crops now?

I think the problem is that many vegetables can't set fruit in this kind of heat. The problem is nightime lows. For tomatoes, I believe you need lows below 70. Thats why our tomato crop peters out end of June or so. There is fall season, not as abundant as the spring though. Charlie

Why would they be out of crops now?

I think the problem is that many vegetables can't set fruit in this kind of heat. The problem is nightime lows. For tomatoes, I believe you need lows below 70. Thats why our tomato crop peters out end of June or so. There is fall season, not as abundant as the spring though. Charlie

Thanks!

Twitter - @docsconz