• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to shop in Paris in August : Wine

Heather Stimmler-Hall in Secrets of Paris notes that La Dernière Goutte, 6, rue de Bourbon Le Château in the 6th is open everyday in August and has a bilingual staff and daily tastings. She lists their times as: “Tue-Sat 10am-8:30pm, Sun 11am-7pm, Mon 4pm-8:30pm.”

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 5 weeks later...

Just went today, coupled with a Fish lunch, and that was an extraordinary recommendation. Those guys really know how to choose wine, they have pretty decent, very fresh food, they speak English and they have a very liberal policy re tasting. I just love it and I'll be back, trusting them. Independently from the open sundays, open August thing, I think this is my favourite wine shop.

Just went today, coupled with a Fish lunch, and that was an extraordinary recommendation.

Julot - good to hear you enjoyed it. Juan and Drew run a good shop and restaurant. I frequented both and they helped me gain a reasonable understanding of French wine in quite a short time. I used to simply asked them to give what was interesting when I popped in for a drink on a Friday night, and they made up interesting mixed cases for us whenever our cellar needed refilling. When we left Paris last year we filled up the car with wine and so we are still enjoying their selections.

They usually have a program of visiting wine makers at the weekends in the Autumn (running up to Christmas), ask Juan for the listing when you next go in. They are always good independent producers from interesting regions.