• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ramapo Plants and Tomatoes

Does anyone know where I can get transplants or the tomato's themselves locally?

These are supposed to be the tomato of my youth that I couldn't get enough of. You know, years ago how you could slice a Jersey tomato and it would be so juicy and wonderful that you couldn't wait to eat one whole?

Well, Rutgers University claims to have brought back this delight that has been commercially unavailable for over 20 years. Their website is here but none of the places in NJ have them and the one place in PA is too far.

http://njfarmfresh.rutgers.edu/JerseyTomato.html

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I don't know if northern New Jersey is too far for you, but I just saw Ramapos (Ramapoes? Where's Dan Quayle when you need him...) at Bergmann's Greenhouses on Midland Avenue in Saddle Brook. 493 Midland Ave., to be specific.

It's a little side of the road greenhouse/nursery where I've bought most of my garden veggie plants for the past few years, at less than $2 per 6 pack of plants, or an indiviual plant in a 5" pot. I have yet to have a bad year with their plants. They harden them off well in cooler years, and I've had minimal problems with bugs and diseases with some t.l.c. and good soil.

By the way, if you go there, check out the scented geraniums called Mosquito Plants they offer. These geraniums are amazing! I rub my arms and legs against them before going into the garden, and it's a natural mosquito repellent smelling much like a citronella candle.