• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Delhi Dining

nathanm

I will be going to New Delhi this fall for a couple days and want some recommendations for great food.

I am interested in both traditional Indian food, as well as more modern interpertations - if there is anybody who is cooking in India like Heston Blumenthal / Ferran Adria, I would be interested in trying it.

I love all Indian food - south and north. I would like to have some great Masala Dosa while there, but also open to anything else.

Nathan

Thanks!  I think I ate there many years ago - it is mughal style food, right? 

I think I am staying at Taj Palace hotel.

As I recall, the food in the Taj wasn't bad.

I just don't recall any great places....but that was 12 years ago.

You're not going to be in Bombay? Trishna's is excellent.

I used to live in Delhi...

Some suggestions:

Karim's. There's one in Nizamuddin, and the original by the Jama Masjid (big mosque). It's not easy to find -- just ask someone. And be sure whatever meat you order, you also order the dal makhani (lentils). Mmmm. Karim's isn't expensive, nor fancy, but is where folks who know eat. This is, IMHO, a must visit kinda place.

Bukhara and Chor Bizarre are both good, safe, (somewhat expensive, but worth it) bets;

Sagar, in Defense Colony, for South Indian food. Again, not fancy, and you may have to wait on a long line -- but it's worth it.

Colonel's Kababs is a pretty good bet while you're in Defense Colony.

The cafeteria ("canteen") at the Andhra Pradesh Bank, somewhere near Man Singh road, is another place whose popularity with locals is totally justified. Amazing Andhra cuisine (totally vegetarian, if memory serves correctly). It's cafeteria style, and cheap. Most taxi drivers can find it for you.

It's been a few years since I was last in Agra, but I don't remember anything notable about places to eat. Sorry!

cassady

Good suggestions all around. Karim's is a good solid choice but I have not been in years. Another one for mughlai food near the airport is Kabab Factory.

Sagar is very good for South Indian. It is in Defence Colony market. They also deliver (if you cant make it there - call to see if they will deliver to the Taj). Although dosas won't travel well.

enjoy...

• 2 weeks later...

Vivin

You did not mention Mughal Mahal, behind Sidhartha hotel in Rajendra place .They have the most interesting Butter Chicken that I have ever tasted.

No visit to Delhi is complete without my paying homage here and getting the butter chicken. The sauce has extreme freshness and is light and creamy at the same time plus there is a very slight tang that is so refreshing.

I was there this march and went for some takeout. The order was taking a bit long so I got into conversation with this guy wearing an apron who was sitting on a plastic chair at the back. I joked with him that he must be the 'boss chef' as others were working while he was relaxing. I asked him if the butter chicken was the same or had changed with time. He told me that he had been working there for 30 years and people came from all over for their butter chicken. I told him that I have been getting the butter chicken since they were packing it in baked clay containers. He said it was the same and when we got home it was exactly as I remember it since my childhood.

We talked a bit more, his name is Raj Kumar and he asked me to say hello to you.

I told him will do whenever I come across you in a forum.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia