• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mustard in cocktails

alacarte

I'm a huge fan of all variations of spicy and savory cocktails. Bring on the Bloody Marys! And I completely get the concept of vinegar in cocktails, whether as a gastrique, or a classic combo like balsamic vinegar-and-strawberry.

And then I saw this press release from Grey Poupon: http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/cool...CC%7D&dist=hppr

Mustard in cocktails? An emphatic No, thank you. Closest I can stomach in this category is a horseradish or wasabi-infused liquor.

Isn't mustard and water homemade ipecac?

Toby

I'm about to hurl just reading that article. This is the problem when food product corporations try to publish recipes. They often make no sense. To quote James Lileks, author of The Gallery of Regrettable Food,

They're not really recipe books. They're ads for food companies, with every recipe using the company's products, often in unexpected ways. (Hot day? Kids love a frosty Bacon Milkshake!) There's not a single edible dish in the entire collection.
Edited by brinza (log)

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes